Things that I am not interested in

edited 2014-11-28 19:47:23 in General
PC videogames:

[whatever] Simulator (they're amusing, but the novelty wears off fast)
7 Days to Die
Agarest: Generations of War (a.k.a. Record of Agarest War) (or the rest of the series)
Age of Wonders III (or the rest of the series)
Amnesia: the Dark Descent (or the rest of the series)
Arma III (or the rest of the series)
Assassin's Creed III (or the rest of the series)
Batman: Arkham Origins (or the rest of the series)
Battlefield 2 (or the rest of the series)
The Binding of Isaac (or the rest of the...is there a series?)
Bioshock Infinite (or the rest of the series)
BIT.TRIP RUNNER 2 (or the rest of the series)
Tales from the Borderlands (or the rest of the series)
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (or the rest of the series, including the Modern Warfare subseries)
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (or the rest of the subseries)
Command and Conquer 3 (or the rest of the series)
Company of Heroes 2 (or the rest of the series)
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (or the rest of the series)
Crysis II (or the rest of the series)
Dark Souls (or the rest of the series)
DayZ
Dead Island
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
DmC: Devil May Cry (or the rest of the series)
Dino D-Day
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Far Cry 4 (or the rest of the series)
Football Manager 2015 (or the rest of the series)
Grand Theft Auto V (or the rest of the series)
Grid Autosport (or the rest of the series?)
Guilty Gear X2 (or the rest of the series)
Halo (or the rest of the series)
Hatoful Boyfriend
Hitman: Absolution (or the rest of the series)
Infestation: Survivor Stories
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
Killing Floor
The King of Fighters XIII (or the rest of the series)
Luftrausers
Mass Effect (or the rest of the series)
Max Payne 3 (or the rest of the series)
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 (or the rest of the series)
Natural Selection
NBA 2K15 (or the rest of the series)
Payday 2 (or the rest of the series)
Penny Arcade's On The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 (or the rest of the series)
Plants vs. Zombies
Quake III Arena (or the rest of the series)
the Rance series (or whatever it's called)
Red Orchestra 2 (or the rest of the series)
Resident Evil 6 (or the rest of the series)
Saints Row IV (or the rest of the series)
Sakura Spirit
Shadow of Mordor
Sleeping Dogs (or the rest of the series)
Sniper Elite III (or the rest of the series)
South Park: the Stick of Truth
Spintires
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (or the rest of the Star Wars games)
State of Decay
Super Hexagon
and this one game whose name was or is kinda memetic but which i've
forgotten right now but it's like an FPS where you're shooting red
things or something
SuperHOT
Supreme Commander 2 (or the rest of the series)
System Shock 2
the Touhou series
Total War: Shogun 2 (or the rest of the series)
Unreal Tournament 2004
The Walking Dead (or the rest of the series)
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution (or the rest of the series)
Watch_Dogs
Wolfenstein: the New Order
XCOM: Enemy Unknown (or the rest of the series)

Just because a game is on this list doesn't mean I object to its existence.  I'm fine with them existing (in most cases).  In some cases (such as Touhou), I'm even quite fine with the fandom.  I just don't feel like playing them.

This list should not be construed as being comprehensive.  I reserve the right to change this list at any time, without notice.

Comments

• edited 2014-11-28 11:29:21
    anime series:

[whatever]monogatari
    Air
    Akagi
    Akira
    Aldnoah Zero
    Attack on Titan
    Azumanga Daioh
    Beck
    Black Lagoon
    Bleach
    Cardcaptor Sakura
    Chunnibiyou
    Clannad
    Code Geass
    Cowboy Bebop
    Cross Ange
    Date a Live
    Death Note
    Diebuster (Gunbuster's not here since I've actually seen that already)
    Durarara
    Ergo Proxy
    Rebuild of Evangelion
    Fate/ series
    FLCL
    Fullmetal Alchemist (including Brotherhood)
    Gankutsuou
    Gantz
    Hajime no Ippo
    Heaven's Lost Property
    Hellsing
    Hetalia
    High School of the Dead
    Higurashi no naku koro ni (and its sequel)
    Hunter x Hunter
    Hyperdimension Neptunia anything
    Infinite Stratos
    Is This A Zombie?  (no, it's a halloween costume, get out of here)
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    Kaiji
    Kanon
    Kara no Kyoukai
    Kill La Kill
    Legend of the Galactic Heroes
    Log Horizon
    Love Live School Idol Project
    Lucky Star
    Minami-ke
    Naruto
    One Piece
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Puchim@s Petit Idolm@ster
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion (or any of the movies, really)
    Ruroni Kenshin
    Samurai Champloo
    Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei
    Senran Kagura
    Shakugan no Shana
    Strike Witches
    Sword Art Online
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (it seems nice but I don't feel like it)
    Trigun
    RahXephon
    Revolutionary Girl Utena
    Valvrave
    Vision of Escaflowne
    Vividred Operation
    YuruYuri
    YuYu Hakusho

Again, I don't have anything against these shows.  I acknowledge that some of them are probably pretty great.  I'm just not interested in them right now.

And again, this list is not comprehensive, and is subject to change without notice, because as you may know, I don't know what I'll watch next, nor when.
  • edited 2014-11-28 19:47:08
    console games:

...oh cripes, I don't even know that many of these.  Been out-of-touch with console (and handheld but I call that "console" too) gaming for years.  Uh...let's see,...

Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
    Gears of War (and the rest of the series, if it exists)
    God of War (and the rest of the series, if it exists)
    Grand Theft Auto V (and the rest of the series)
    Halo (and the rest of the series)
    Hyperdimension Neptunia anything
    Killer Instinct (and the rest of the series)
    Monster Hunter Tri (and the rest of the series)
    Mortal Kombat (and the rest of the series)
    Pokémon (I love the series but I've been out of touch with it for years now and they're also a huge timesink so I haven't decided how to get back into it yet)
    Senran Kagura
    Street Fighter (and the rest of the series)
    Super Smash Bros.
    The Legend of Zelda (the 3D games aside from Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess)

Something like that.  I don't feel like making more of these lists right now.

Again, pretty sure some of them are awesome, but I just don't feel like it.  List isn't comprehensive, and I don't give a crap about changing it without notice anytime I want.
  • edited 2014-11-28 10:29:44
    I'd make a list of live-action TV shows I'm not interested in but I don't feel like it.  Same with movies.  And so forth.

I have no favorite studios, directors, actors, voice actors, etc..  I just don't particularly care enough to have seen enough stuff to have formed these sorts of tastes.  Maybe videogame developers, in a few cases.  And composers.
  • edited 2014-11-28 09:28:28
    Oh, by the way.

Hype is a word I do not understand.

(Okay, yeah, I do, but you know what I mean.)
  • FFVII is great but the compilation stuff sucks
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Azumanga Daioh
    :(
  • Azumanga Daioh is amusing, and I enjoy it.  Just that I'm not in the mood to seek it out without prompting.

That applies to a lot of things.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    well, ok
  • edited 2014-11-28 14:16:59
    I'm kind of half-expecting a snowclone of this topic with all the stuff Glenn is interested in.

As Pokemon, you could try to slowly get back into via Gen 5 or HeartGold/SoulSilver. It's just a suggestion.
  • edited 2014-11-28 14:27:49
    Well this thread basically started as a list of all the games in the Steam store that were being splashed at me and that I had no interest in, and sort of drawing the conclusion that I'm basically really out of touch with "mainstream" PC gaming.  The other two posts came later.

Not sure how meaningful an opposite snowclone would be.  Maybe I could type one up later, just for fun.

As for Pokémon, the main problems now are (1) I don't have the system to run them and (2) I am afraid of losing myself in them and wasting too much time on them.  I am probably going to just wait a little longer before jumping back in -- though I'm not really sure what becomes of the Pokémon games' online features after Nintendo shuts down their servers in like a decade or two in the future.  I dunno if it uses such features but I presume it does -- and I'd like to be able to continue enjoying my game well into the far future.

Come to think of it, I have no idea when Valve will shut down its item servers for TF2...but I haven't invested $100+ in it, which I would have to do with a Pokémon game and system.
  • Who said anything about meaningful? :V

1) There's also *LEGITIMATE MEANS* to play them. But I'm not sure you'd want to do that or not.
    2) In that case, sounds like it's doing its job perfectly then if that happens. But in all seriousness, some willpower will help with that. As for online, I think you can still do local wireless stuff with another DS/3DS, so there's that. (I haven't used online too often myself.)
  • speaking of pokemon i ran across this tumblr post talking about the design issues in the games that really just hit the nail on he head for me as to why i don't really enjoy them anymore
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    Rance is a PC game
  • edited 2014-11-28 15:28:25
    also (3) i am a little miffed at event pokémon

^ oops

i should have just combined those lists anyway
  • edited 2014-11-28 16:30:55
    @ Event Pokemon: Yeaaah, I'm not too fond of them either. But hey, going over to the game store to download them is waaaaay better than how they handled them back in the day.  Never was a event nearby my town when they were distributing them.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i always interpreted 'event pokemon' as 'things you need a cheat cartridge for', for that reason.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Your anime list is a bizarre combination of really great shows and really awful ones. Should I just recommend obscure paragons of mediocrity from here on out?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    imo goro goro iki
  • edited 2014-11-28 19:32:32
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'm interested in you.

/flirting to break your heart later
  • edited 2014-11-28 19:49:52

Your anime list is a bizarre combination of really great shows and really awful ones. Should I just recommend obscure paragons of mediocrity from here on out?

My hunch is that it's actually a list of shows whose genre, setting, general visual style, and/or chatter on the internet didn't interest me, rather than anything about quality.  After all, I can't determine quality based on description, cover art, screencaps, or obnoxiousness/ubiquitousness of its fans.

I discover a lot of less-famous stuff mostly by recommendations saying that something is similar to something else I've watched, or has a curious premise, or I saw some of it in some Youtube video or something and thought it looked nice.

And then I just hope that the story is interesting.  It usually is.  But it's sort of like an adventure, when you don't know what to expect out of it at all.
  • Skyrim has been upgraded to "Things that I am slightly interested in", because Jeremy Soule is the composer.
  • edited 2019-04-19 04:44:51
    Oh hey, I ran across this thread while looking for something else.

Things on this list I've since interacted with:

* Amnesia: the Dark Descent - I've gotten both it and its sequel for free, and at some point I might play time.
    * Batman: Arkham Origins - I don't actually object to playing this game, but I simply have no way to do so, nor a particular desire to go and get it.
    * Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - I've dropped my objection to this subseries, but again I'm not really in a hurry to get it either.
    * Dino D-Day - I have this game now, though I never actually learned to play it.
    * Grand Theft Auto - technically I always had Vice City, and that's still the only one I might play, since I haven't played it yet.
    * Sniper Elite - I ended up playing a bit of Sniper Elite II and liking it.  But it runs poorly on my machine.
    * System Shock 2 - I forgot whether I just picked this up for myself or a friend gifted it to me.  It's also on the list of things I don't mind trying out but it's not very high on my priority list.
    * XCOM - at some point I wanted to play XCOM 2, I think.

* Aldnoah Zero - I forgot whether I might watch this.  Maybe.
    * Cowboy Bebop - technically I had already watched the movie before I posted the list.
    * Cross Ange - actually watched this.  Loved it.
    * Date a Live - actually tried watching this.  Hated it.
    * Rebuild of Evangelion - not on my won't-watch list, but it's certainly very low priority.
    * Hyperdimension Neptunia - I've had the game for free for a while now, and I've ignored it, but I did end up watching (and kinda enjoying) the anime series.
    * JJBA - friend introduced this to me and we watched the first ep and it seems nice.  Unlikely to continue on my own though.
    * Madoka Magica: Rebellion - I've occasionally thought about watching this just to see how much more of a trainwreck it makes the plot.
    * Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei - technically I had already watched a bit of this before it was on the list.  And I did kinda like it.
    * Sword Art Online - while I still haven't bothered with the first season, I ended up watching the second season.  I'm in the midst of it.
    * Vividred Operation - I eventually dropped my objection and watched this.  It turns out to be an actually good story...but just one that's inexplicably peppered with an inordinate number of buttshots.

* Final Fantasy XIII - this ended up coming to PC, and I ended up wishlisting it.
    * Pokémon - I decided to pick back up Crystal and play it, specifically in a hacked version that lets me catch everything.
    * The Legend of Zelda - I've ended up playing Zelda 1 and then replaying Zelda 3 (ALTTP).  The latter has featured prominently in my randomizer activities.  Still haven't touched the 3D games, though I do now have access to Twilight Princess.

I'm not sure if this helps any, but coincidentially earlier today I wrote up the four main reasons for my passing up any given anime series -- a dislike of the character art, a show involving crazy wacky anime humor, an edgy or overly stylized premise and/or jerkwad characters, and fanservice.  None of these are necessarily always dealbreakers but they tend to be major reasons for my lack of interest when I do drop or ignore something.

As for what I'm looking for, it's often some combination of drama (often character-focused) that can be taken seriously (though I can be pretty generous at what I'll take seriously as long as it feels earnest), fantasy (particularly D&D/JRPG-style fantasy) and sci-fi settings, characters whose appearance appeals to me (which usually ends up meaning attractive female characters), music or other sense of atmosphere that I like, and distinctive premises that explore something I find interesting.  Doesn't have to be all of these at the same time, of course.

Examples:

* I've PTW'd a show about mountain climbing, a show about journeying to Antarctica, a show involving a dragon-girl who plays the piano, a show with a fantasy/steampunk (I think?) setting whose theme song I think is absolutely smashing, a show by the same studio and with a similar aesthetic as another show I've watched and liked (Nanoha), a show with a fantasy-like sci-fi setting that seems to have a poetically tragic plot premise, a show about car racing that I know to have excellent music, a show about Roman baths, and multiple shows that just look really heartwarming in a gentle way.
    * I got interested in a show because I randomly checked out its OST and loved it.  I then stayed for the robot waifu, and was rewarded with extremely intriguing contemplations on the potential roles of AI in human society.  It is now among my favorites.
    * I originally largely ignored a much-hailed multigenre comedy show that inspired a number of fandom memes, but years later, after the hype died down, I checked it out and enjoyed the lead character's deadpan observations of the bizarre happenings around him.  Given that I was not enamored with any of the other characters, nor was it in a setting I particularly like, and it was comedy (not something I typically like much in anime), I think that's a testament to its comedic quality.
    * On a friend's recommendation, I picked up a sports series with a large number of female characters.  Their appearance wasn't something that really drew me in, but the beautiful ending theme certainly was.  I later became rather fond of the cast, as the story was frequently about their personal journeys and emotions.
    * I enjoyed a dark fantasy series where the protagonists almost acted like villain protags with heroic antagonists pursuing them, and both those groups facing yet other third-party antagonists.  It has refreshingly (albeit darkly) humorous takes on some fantasy tropes, as well as an aura of mystery making for some moral ambiguity.
    * I dropped the first season of one very popular show, but for reasons different from the usual criticisms directed against it.  I later wanted to find out more about the frequent hating on it and arguments over it, so I'm now watching the second season.  Oh, also there's a rather attractive character who shows up then.
    * I picked up a show because it was one of three magical battle school harem shows I wanted to compare and contrast.  Two episodes in, I almost dropped it because the fanservice was just too much.  But I stayed, especially since I enjoyed the theme songs and soundtrack a lot, and ended up getting what I feel is a pretty enjoyable ending, as well as a cast of at least somewhat entertaining characters.

Dunno if this helps anyway.

But FWIW in the years since I made this thread I've just filled up my PTW with a ton of series, so I no longer do general searches for stuff to watch but instead just pick from my lists.
  • hey hold on sorry you linked this from your personal thread so I'm going to consider bumping it fair game

Cross Ange - actually watched this.  Loved it.

r...really?
  • edited 2020-10-23 12:13:23
    Heh, I've bumped enough old threads at this point.  I was originally planning on bumping this thread directly, but I got the feeling that Centie probably wasn't enjoying me doing that too much, so I just stuck it in my personal thread.  (And besides, this thread is a little embarrassing.)

Not much change, just mainly that I've watched a few of the anime series I mentioned I put in my PTW two posts up.  And I've dropped my objection to getting into some things.

r...really?
    Yes.  And I enjoyed it unironically.  And, amusingly, I wasn't even into it for the fanservice.

It's one of the most gratifying shows I've ever seen, in terms of the emotions and resulting catharsis that I experienced as I went through its journey.
    Its main character really does an excellent job of carrying the story and taking it where she wants to go.
    It has an excellent soundtrack, as well.

I realize the shocking nature of some of its content might not be suitable for all viewers, so I know not to recommend it left and right.

Now that I think about it, I think it may be a relatively rare story that goes in big on validating the feeling of anger.  (I could say more about it, but it may be worth mentioning I found someone else on the internet who wrote that it "wraps openly feminist themes in a package of fanservice".)
  • edited 2020-10-23 18:17:49
    Also since this thread got bumped anyway, may as well.

Marulk said:

I was a wordy git and probably still am, but I found a way to distill my observations of myself:

in summary, my anime tastes are:

1. Jump into a show because of:
    * attractive characters
    * nice music
    * interesting premise
    * miscellaneous other reasons, sometimes tangential (e.g. "my friend keeps complaining about this series")
    * everything else aside, I tend to prefer fantasy and sci-fi

2. Watch whatever happens
  • My dreams exceed my real life

hey hold on sorry you linked this from your personal thread so I'm going to consider bumping it fair game

Cross Ange - actually watched this.  Loved it.

r...really?

Proof GMH and Hbomberguy are the same person
  • lolwut

also i have no idea why but that quote of jane's post seems to break formatting

it did that to me too