Anime

Comments

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Who surround you and shout at you.
  • edited 2014-09-23 21:26:46
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^^ You would be surprised at how weirdly defensive people get about films that they like. Most people admit that it has some obvious structural flaws, but it has a very passionate fanbase, some of whom really don't like hearing criticisms of it. This is true of a lot of good but flawed things.
  • I'm sorry but if you think that someone having a different opinion on a thing than you is the same as them shoving that opinion in your face I legitimately have no idea what to say to you.

^^^ You would be surprised at how weirdly defensive people get about films that they like. Most people admit that it has some obvious structural flaws, but it has a very passionate fanbase, some of whom really don't like hearing criticisms of it. This is true of a lot of good but flawed things.

When you hear the same three criticisms of something all the time, from people who think they are being bold and daring by going against the grain, it gets very old.
  • edited 2014-09-23 21:28:19
    That's not what I'm saying at all. OK, what criticisms?

Although Odradek has a point about the tone of the post.
  • Here, an example I can relate more closely to. Odd Future, right?

Rap group that has a cult fanbase, make very niche music despite being rather popular, etc. etc. etc.

Allow me to list for you the criticisms that people levy against Odd Future, because there are seriously like six
    • Tyler's lyrics are homophobic or otherwise insensitive sometimes
    • they recycle material a lot
    • a lot of their material feels rushed
    • Earl raps with all the energy of a dying grandfather

these are things that if you are involved with OF's fanbase at all, you will hear constantly. They're true! They're completely true, and most people will acknowledge they are.

The problem comes like this: when Person A comes in and says these things, they are discussed, eventually acknowledged, and people move on. Then Person B, who has never heard of Person A, comes in and says these same four things. Everyone has heard these already, but they are discussed again, acknowledged again, and people move on again. Eventually, you get persons C, D, E, F, etc. in a sequence, and your immediate reaction stops being receptiveness and starts being "shut the fuck up we've heard it a million times". Which causes Person, like, X, or whatever, to decide that Odd Future fans are whiny babies who can't take any criticism*.

This happens with a ton of things, so it's hard for me to have any sympathy for Person X when I've been in the position of the people s/he's lecturing to.

*this is actually true, but irrelevant for our purposes here

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    You seem to be projecting a bit.
  • Maybe but it's been like half a page since we've actually been talking about the post itself anyway.
  • kill living beings
    i didn't like totoro much if i'm going to be honest
  • edited 2014-09-23 21:51:07
    ^^ Why?

^ Please do.
  • edited 2014-09-23 21:51:34

i didn't like totoro much if i'm going to be honest

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
  • kill living beings

^^ Why?

some cute stuff happened and that was about it, i guess is why? i mean it's not bad obviously, but nothing really kept me engaged. if i'd watched it as a kid i might have fonder memories. anyway brb getting assassinated
    I think that is kind of missing the point of the film, but I get the feeling that the kind of experiences that it touches upon are not as universal as I thought that they were. It touches upon a kind of childhood that some people just did not have, which I suppose is fine, but it is almost culture shock for me.

I mean, you went around outside and imagined little worlds and things, right?
  • kill living beings
    yeah. don't think i had any imaginary friends though.
    That's reasonable.
  • kill living beings
    might be because i grew up in an area a lot more urban than the film's setting, with lots of kids my age around. if i grew up where my parents live now, backcountry forests, i'd probably have more totorian experience
    This is understandable.

I grew up in quiet suburbs and had very few friends, so it bore some similarities.
  • kill living beings

haven't seen an anime this psychologically in-depth for a while
  • Space Dandy will be remembered as the great anime of our time.
    ...that was hella dumb and brilliant at the same time.

I need to watch that show.
  • ...that was hella dumb and brilliant at the same time.

It's a fun show, when you're in the mood for something goofy.
    Apparently one of Yuasa's protégés (and the man himself) directed several episodes. Her name currently escapes me, but I like her work. So I'm already sold. Also, Keiko Nobumoto has done a little writing for it. Lots of good people.
  • ...that was hella dumb and brilliant at the same time.

• kill living beings
    i like the combination of smullyonics with babble
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'm jumping on that bandwagon.

Sometime. Eventually.
  • kill living beings
    The robot has to use a physical magazine, since his operating system is too old to upgrade all the info in
  • making use of the space-encompassing search system, galaxy street view,
    our investigation is underway. Finding him is only a matter of time now.

Hmmm... for the glory of the gogol empire, you find him

yes this bandwagon is absolutely worth jumping on
  • edited 2014-09-25 15:56:04
    kill living beings
    I liked the use of Twitter

checking in at Full Metal Noodlist
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • edited 2014-09-26 18:47:20
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I am amused over the fact that Miracle Train - Ōedo-sen e Yōkoso happens to be a show that I should, by everything that is reasonable, adore, but instead it ends up being something I don't really care for. I mean I've always liked the idea of places given personification, I really like trains, and I like bishies. Altogether it makes for a fairly weak series (three episodes in out of thirteen), though, and a forgettable one at that. It's not aggressively bad like Sword Art Online or a few others I could name, just bland (even for a reverse harem show). The random girls every episode happen to be more attractive than the guys, the train stations are given a fair amount of attention though naturally give way to the girls of the week (I feel like I'd enjoy this part more if I lived near the different locales), the music is underwhelming and at times conflicting with the story because the writing is sub-par. It helps that I didn't begin this with very high hopes or expectations. Still underwhelming and forgettable, an an underwhelming show I'll be watching until the end. Heck yeah.
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    this girl is cute

can anyone tell me what this cute girl is from y/n
  • isn't that that one show with the lazy parrot
    Yes.
  • Anyone know of a good piece of fanart primarily (or exclusively) featuring Kyouko Sakura looking sad, or somber?
  • edited 2014-10-03 08:56:18
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Boorus exist. Search: [KYOUKO_SAKURA], [SOLO]
  • Yeah, I know of them; I was looking there earlier.  Was just wondering if someone knew of some off the top of their head.

(also, it's
    sakura_kyouko 1girl
    for the search bar
    or
    sakura_kyouko+1girl
    for direct URL insertion)

(also danbooru doesn't do multi-tag searches for >2 tags but safebooru does)
  • edited 2014-10-03 23:20:20

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Nine

i remember starting with this when i was reeeaallllly little

never got to finish it though, glad i was just reminded of it now

come to think of this what little i watched of this show kinda had a big impact on me
    Log Horizon series two starts today!
  • kill living beings
    i am not prepared
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    better back up your database, whoooooooooa
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Fate/Zero has one of the better first episodes I've seen in a while.
  • edited 2014-10-13 14:02:45
    stuff that Ekarderif got me into
    * Nanoha (especially A's)
    * Mai-HiME

results:
    * I enjoyed Nanoha (except A's)
    * didn't enjoy Mai-HiME that much

----

stuff that MAL rec'd to me because i liked Kiddy Grade
    * Stratos 4
    * Rocket Girls
    * Sky Girls
    stuff that Noimporta rec'd to me at around the same time while mocking my enjoyment of Kiddy Grade
    * Stellvia
    * Infinite Ryvius
    something i'm surprised no one showed me yet or maybe I just didn't pay attention to it in the MAL recs:
    * Strain

results:
    * Stratos 4 - enjoyed it a lot, introduced me to Melocure
    * Rocket Girls - enjoyed it a lot, one of my faves
    * Sky Girls - enjoyed it quite a bit
    * Stellvia - enjoyed it
    * Infinite Ryvius - only seen a few eps
    * Strain - enjoyed it a lot, one of my faves

----

something that Noimporta, ponicalica, or maybe someone else from #tropers and/or #yackfest rec'd to me
    * RahXephon
    * Utena
    * Legend of the Galactic Heroes

results:
    * RahXephon - seen one ep, on hold
    * Utena - i don't really feel like watching this
    * Legend of the Galactic Heroes - too long, no interest

----

stuff that fourteenwings accidentally got me into:
    * AKB0048
    * Lagrange
    * Symphogear

what I watched:
    * AKB0048 first stage (good), next stage (bad)
    * Lagrange S1 (good)
    * Symphogear (1) (meh)

what he thinks:
    * AKB0048 - bad because next stage sucked
    * Lagrange - bad because S2 explained everything and it all sucked

what Naas thinks:
    * Lagrange - bad because S2 explained everything and it all sucked
    * Symphogear - decent, but G (the sequel) is way awesome

----

stuff that fourteenwings didn't even necessarily watch but also accidentally got me into:
    * Arpeggio
    * Coppelion (which he didn't even watch)

consensus opinion seems to be:
    * Arpeggio - good
    * Coppelion - bad

my opinion:
    * Arpeggio - good
    * Coppelion - good
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    So Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is one of the better shonen I've seen in a while

It's also extremely homoerotic, which may or may not be a perk for you depending on who you are
  • edited 2014-10-14 18:31:52

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-10-14/1st-tv-anime-show-starring-lupin-iii-in-3-decades-to-launch-in-italy/.79924

New Lupin III TV is coming next spring. Super excited for it. Also, the writer for Tiger & Bunny is doing all of the scripts for it. Should be interesting.
  • edited 2014-10-14 18:36:47
    We can do anything if we do it together.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-10-14/1st-tv-anime-show-starring-lupin-iii-in-3-decades-to-launch-in-italy/.79924

New Lupin III TV is coming next spring. Super excited for it. Also, the writer for Tiger & Bunny is doing all of the scripts for it. Should be interesting.

Okay, this sounds like a perfect opportunity to get on the Lupin III train.
  • edited 2014-10-14 18:40:07
    ^^ Indeed. Lupin in a post-A Woman Called Fujiko Mine world. Hmm.

^^^^ You really should watch Revolutionary Girl Utena at some point... but only in sub, because the dub is really not worth your time, as I have said before. I hate to get snotty about it, but... it's a lot more edifying than a lot of those things you listed there, intellectually speaking, and really fun and compelling to boot. Ditto RahXephon.
  • http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-10-14/1st-tv-anime-show-starring-lupin-iii-in-3-decades-to-launch-in-italy/.79924

Oh, you totally should get on the Lupin III train, it's a lot of fun. At some point, probably once we get through several other series, I'll upload some of the old 70s anime for us to watch together.
  • edited 2014-10-14 18:44:18
    We can do anything if we do it together.

Oh, you totally should get on the Lupin III train, it's a lot of fun. At some point, probably once we get through several other series, I'll upload some of the old 70s anime for us to watch together.
    I'd love watching that with you guys.