The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yup...and because some dumbass dudebros didn't believe her, she posted the actual threats. They read like something out of American Psycho or The Silence of the Lambs.  :(
  • The internet can be scary as hell sometimes...
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Remember this?  

Those were good days.
  • kill living beings
    still a good photo, at least
  • edited 2014-08-27 22:10:13
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    So, how the heck can I legally acquire Avatar: The legend of Korra?

Is there dvds out yet?

I feel like I'm years behind all these people who know how to watch stuff for free on the internet without getting computer viruses.

I mean, is it on itunes?
    (2015 self)
    lee4hmz said:
    Neat!  I should have gotten it this summer, my parents probably won't let me buy it during the school year because distraction.

Maybe for christmas.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Don't watch Korra.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Aliroz said:

Remember this?  

Those were good days.
    :D
    (2015 self)

Don't watch Korra.

Why? What's wrong with it?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I moderately enjoyed Book One, but didn't watch anything past it and I remember people in #yackfest and such not liking Book One much.

I liked it a bit more, but the show was almost totally lacking in interesting characters and the plotline seemed a bit hasty. Though I did enjoy going back to the world of Avatar...
  • edited 2014-08-27 23:01:38
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Lots of things. 

It tries to do too many things at once, it's depiction of class warfare is so one-dimensional it's insulting to anyone in that situation, it isn't given the space it needs to develop anything, spends too much time on things the fans want to see (instead of developing its own story), it takes narrative shortcuts instead of giving us anything of substance, I like none of the characters.

Speaking of the characters, there are glimmers of brilliance, of honesty there, but they're all so underutilized, it's just frustrating.

Worst of all is that it skirts the borderline of "acceptable" orientalism that Last Airbender was dancing on and darts straight into unacceptable. 

The biggest example is how they dress up Manichaeism with one of the fundamental concepts of my faith. It's like saying "In the beginning was the word, and the word was God. But there was also another word, that word was Satan. And then they fucked." That's not the best example, but it's the best I have.
    "In the beginning was the word, and the word was God. But there was
    also another word, that word was Satan. And then they fucked."

I'm sorry but I giggled
  • edited 2014-08-27 23:05:58
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    And its treatment of "spirituality" is so hippie and New-Age it makes me want to vomit my own intestines out, cure them into leather strips, and flay everyone in the world alive.

^I'm glad you think it's funny.
  • I'm almost certain that there's an anime (darn those Japanese people and their complete disregard for the non-aesthetic parts of Christianity) or a spec. fiction novel/movie/episode of Supernatural (darn those new age authors and their complete disregard for the parts of Christianity that don't involve hot people) with that exact premise, but I understand your umbrage completely. 

I'm still miffed that Hollywood's dressing up the new Moses movie as a historical action flick. And casting only white people in main roles, but that's a digression. 

Why do they even need to make another Moses movie? The Ten Commandments and Prince of Egypt exist. You might as well make a remake of Rosebud.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    AND ANOTHER THING

WHY ARE MOST OF THE VOICE-ACTORS WHITE
    Just because things don't need to exist doesn't mean Hollywood won't make them

Look at how WB keeps pumping out Tom and Jerry movies
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

The biggest example is how they dress up Manichaeism with one of the fundamental concepts of my faith. It's like saying "In the beginning was the word, and the word was God. But there was also another word, that word was Satan. And then they fucked." That's not the best example, but it's the best I have.
    To be fair, China and Tibet were the last great bastions of Manichaeism as an organised faith, and there was always a degree of influence from Buddhism on Manichaean thought.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    I don't think representation issues work the same way for voice actors?

I don't think representation issues work the same way for voice actors?

Voice acting is a weird and frequently limited pool. You get anyone with the right voice to play whatever part regardless of what they or who they are playing look like. The only exception I can think of is white people playing black characters in American works or dubs, but that's a cultural thing.
    One example that's kind of like that that I did mention earlier, in my thread, is the black Phil LaMarr playing the Japanese Samurai Jack...
    Or the Honduran Ilich Guardiola playing the ambiguously German/Japanese albino Makoto Isshiki in RahXephon.
  • kill living beings
    to be fair, manichaeans also dressed themselves up in whatever your faith is

buddhism? taoism? christianity? druidism? i don't even know but i'm sure they went for it at some point

conclusion is that nickelodeon is staffed by manichaean holdouts

To be fair, China and Tibet were the last great bastions of Manichaeism as an organised faith, and there was always a degree of influence from Buddhism on Manichaean thought.

This is true, but clearly they weren't putting enough work or thought into it.

I didn't know that about the voice acting business. But the fact that the limited pool is made up exclusively of so many folks means that there's still a problem.

conclusion is that nickelodeon is staffed by manichaean holdouts

I wish. Manichaeism is my favourite extinct religion.
    I think it's pretty neat actually, but I am sick of that form of dualism in my fantastical fiction.

This is true, but clearly they weren't putting enough work or thought into it.

I didn't know that about the voice acting business. But the fact that the limited pool is made up exclusively of so many folks means that there's still a problem.

The first point is fair, but to the second, Asian-Americans make up a pretty small proportion of the national population here, and while there are definitely notable American voice actors of Asian heritage, most voice actors are, statistically speaking, white or black or Latino rather than East or South Asian.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    i hate that "people with anime avatars are trolls" is becoming a thing on Twitter now

I think it's pretty neat actually, but I am sick of that form of dualism in my fantastical fiction.

That is completely fair, although even so accurate Manichaean/Gnostic/Mandaean concepts in fantastic media is actually pretty rare. Mani's mythology was remarkably dense and strange and it's really not very accessible to modern readers... although some amusing parallels can be drawn with Scientology's dogma, albeit with the caveat that "belching is magic" man actually sounds less bonkers.
  • kill living beings

i hate that "people with anime avatars are trolls" is becoming a thing on Twitter now

it's me. the troll is coming fro minside the house
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    i am trollulon 9000, trolling from here to eternity
  • I don't know if my twitter avatar (identical to the one I have here) counts as anime or not.

idk in my experience a lot of people who also have anime avatars are truly awful. What the correlation there is, if any, I will leave to the experts.
  • edited 2014-08-27 23:58:19
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I'm not sure if I've actually seen the "people with anime avatars are terrible" thing from people who aren't Phil Fish
  • Lilly said:

I'm not sure if I've actually seen the "people with anime avatars are terrible" thing from people who aren't Phil Fish

it's a pretty commonly held opinion in my experience.
    To be fair, there is a certain kind of person who tends to use a certain range of anime avatars that is to be avoided at all costs.
    What range is that?
    Anonus said:

What range is that?

Think big shounen action series and cloying moe-moe melodramas.
  • edited 2014-08-28 00:12:22
    kill living beings
    my current (and future, i don't like changing avatars) twitter background is anime

fuck ur shit haterz

will be mildly surprised if that embeds correctly
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    My twitter avatar's been Nitori for... well, years, actually.
    I have no twitter
  • edited 2014-08-28 00:14:21
    We can do anything if we do it together.

Anonus said:

What range is that?

This even applies to the shows from both genres that have some merits to them (like One Piece or Haruhi).
    tomato

This even applies to the shows from both genres that have some merits to them (like One Piece or Haruhi).
    This is true, although usually it's Bleach or Clannad.
  • kill living beings

My twitter avatar's been Nitori for... well, years, actually.

Shuuichi-Smile-Twitter.png

LIAR
    Mind you, I know perfectly nice people who like both, but let's be honest with ourselves here.
    trilogy