A Music Discussion Heap of The Heapers' Hangout Forum [NO EMBEDS]

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Hmm. I still have yet to send you Windsor for the Derby's Difference and Repetition, but that's one. I would also recommend Bark Psychosis' Hex and Scum, The Body Lovers' self-titled, Sonic Youth's SYR 1: Anagrama, Stereolab & Nurse with Wound's Simple Headphone Mind, A Silver Mt. Zion's He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms… (a.k.a. "their first one"), Slint's Spiderland (of course), Talk Talk's last two records (of course), GY!BE's first few (again, of course), and basically any of Mogwai's records up to around Mr. Beast. Also Swans' Soundtracks for the Blind and Swans Are Dead, but you might want to start with The Body Lovers or even Angels of Light's New Mother before going there.
  • I have heard Spiderland and it scared me badly enough that I deleted it off my hard drive.

I'd prefer to avoid anything too noisy, I'm not a fan of dissonance.
    Oh, yeah, not *quite* post-rock in the conventional sense, but I highly suggest you listen to literally everything that Angels of Light ever released. I mean everything. Seriously. Great band.

I have heard Spiderland and it scared me badly enough that I deleted it off my hard drive.

I'd prefer to avoid anything too noisy, I'm not a fan of dissonance.

It's a dark, dark record. Especially "Don, Aman" and "Good Morning Captain". I can understand that. Although I honestly think that some of the most unsettling parts are the softest.

Yeah, my list will still do you good, including the Swans releases in question. They're weird, but not especially noisy in the "BRWAAAAGHGHGHGH" sense that parts of, say, their last two albums are.
  • well I don't really especially like unsettling music in most cases.

I am looking more for pretty and a bit jazz-inflected stuff, like the two Tortoise albums I've now heard (Millions Now Living and TNT). Is any of that that?
    (I love The Seer and To Be Kind to death, but part of the reason I love it is that Gira sounds possessed on songs like "The Apostate" and "Oxygen", really insane. That's not for everyone.)
  • im listening to slint now i guess

the spoken word thing was making me think skramz and then nothing happened
  • edited 2014-06-20 02:57:40
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

I am looking more for pretty and a bit jazz-inflected stuff, like the two Tortoise albums I've now heard (Millions Now Living and TNT). Is any of that that?

Bark Psychosis and Talk Talk. Maybe the Stereolab/NWW collaboration if you're into the more trancey, trippy, rhythmic side of things.

^ Depends on the track, but they are very screamo-ish.
  • yeah it's like tortoise doing a pg. 99 cover

i like both of those bands but i'd rather listen to one or the other, y'know?
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    ^^ As long as we're on this tangent, I'd recommend that Mojave pick up some Do Make Say Think.
  • edited 2014-06-20 03:05:35
    I like Slint for what they are. They're not in-your-face very often, so when they are it's more effective, I think.

^ Oooh, good suggestion! I like them.
  • edited 2014-06-20 03:10:04

generally im more if a fan of bands who are not in your face for like 20 seconds per track so they can properly optimize their face-smashingness
  • doesn't Tortoise have like a bunch of spinoff bands?

I think I used to own an album by one, something about county water tables.
  • edited 2014-06-20 03:15:36

you know i never got into dsbm because i thought the name was far too silly, but i have been drifting into more atmospheric sorts of black metal as of late so i might have to give a few such bands a spin

relatedly, Lifelover is the most deliciously ironic band name

doesn't Tortoise have like a bunch of spinoff bands?

I think I used to own an album by one, something about county water tables.

They do, though names escape me.

I do know that they have ties to Nobukazu Takemura and some really weird artsy bands out of Chicago like Gastr Del Sol and Bastro, who in turn shared members with my pet post-hardcore band Bitch Magnet.
    The Sea and Cake is a name that comes to mind when I think of Tortoise spinoff bands.

Speaking of Tortoise side-projects, Mojave might enjoy the Stereolab album Dots and Loops if he listens to it. It's produced by John McEntire and reflects the sort of sound he brought to Tortoise.
  • also apparently Lifelover had some definite post-punk influences so i'll let y'all know if it seems like something some of you would like
  • edited 2014-06-20 03:23:37
    McEntire is a very good producer.

Production is one of the most important things about an album for me, although if a band's sound is interesting enough it becomes less of an issue.

^ Cool!
  • Field Recordings From The Cook County Water Table by Brokeback was the album I was thinking of, relatedly.

I liked that album, I should redownload it.
  • edited 2014-06-20 03:25:22
    ^^ Good.

I think you will like it.

^ I've heard of that!
  • I forget why I downloaded it. I think I was absently browsing Pitchfork one night and it sounded interesting.

It reminded me of a sort of very pared-back, minimalist version of Chill Out by The KLF.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Byakuren said:

Prepare your ears then. U_U

I eagerly await!

Welp, this is a distressing move.

I think this is pretty important...
    I'm confused. Are they, like, banning all music or something?
  • Miko said:

Byakuren said:

Prepare your ears then. U_U

I eagerly await!

Welp, this is a distressing move.

I think this is pretty important...
    I'm confused. Are they, like, banning all music or something?
    Hypothetically, any music posted by a non-Youtube partner (including say, my own) would be removed.
  • edited 2014-06-20 03:32:38
    ^^ It's dumber than that. They're trying to use YouTube as a pay-to-play streaming platform like corporate radio, and while it's doubtful that they will succeed, it is a very stupid move either way.

^ Yeah, that too, in theory. It's terrible and will not work.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    That is... really baffling, as well as horribly inconvenient for fans of game and anime soundtracks, and covers and arranges, and Synthesia sheets... goodness.
  • edited 2014-06-20 03:36:29
    It's mainly aimed at labels using YouTube's ad revenue system, insofar as I can tell, but the way that it is worded seems to indicate something much more radical and, frankly, devastatingly foolish.

I mean, it's devastatingly foolish either way, but if it's not just about ad money...
    If it is actually implemented like that, I can see a totally different video site becoming the new thing for music, and/or Bandcamp and Soundcloud becoming a lot more popular than they already are.
    I am going to finally buy a new keyboard this weekend I think. I miss being able to play a functional piano-thing, even if I am not such a good pianist. I wonder if I will start composing again? I can't decide if I got better or worse over time, probably worse. I should get a new Soundcloud page to avoid the embarrassment of my old one, if I do compose things again. Also, I wish I still had access to the things I composed when I was younger, just for curiosity's sake.
    I love Bandcamp and it needs to be more of a thing, but for better reasons. Ditto Vimeo, which is a very solid video streaming platform. (Also: Andrew McKenzie needs to stop being so overly protective of The Hafler Trio's work and start selling it on a site like Bandcamp so I don't have to shell out some ungodly amount for an out-of-print CD selling at twice the original price and... what was I saying?)
    Miko said:

I am going to finally buy a new keyboard this weekend I think. I miss being able to play a functional piano-thing, even if I am not such a good pianist. I wonder if I will start composing again? I can't decide if I got better or worse over time, probably worse. I should get a new Soundcloud page to avoid the embarrassment of my old one, if I do compose things again. Also, I wish I still had access to the things I composed when I was younger, just for curiosity's sake.

DO EET! 0w0
  • I really like Hex (though the singing is just sort of there, I neither particularly care for it nor really dislike it). Is there else that sounds like it?
  • edited 2014-06-20 03:56:13

the number of metal labels on bandcamp is crazy

profound lore, relapse, debemur morti, willowtip, deathwish, hydra head, crucial blast, earache, southern lord, agonia, the list just goes and goes and goes

I really like Hex (though the singing is just sort of there, I neither particularly care for it nor really dislike it). Is there else that sounds like it?

Well, Bark Psychosis' other work, maybe Talk Talk's last two, and... late 90's Swans and The Body Lovers, actually, especially on Soundtracks for the Blind. It has that slo-mo grandeur, effortless eclecticism and smoothness of texture to it.
  • Eh.

I've heard both Swans work and Talk-Talk work (including one of their post-rock albums). I didn't really care for it.

Hmm, maybe I should do some looking on my own.
  • edited 2014-06-20 04:08:45
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    (Also: Andrew McKenzie needs to stop being so overly protective of The
    Hafler Trio's work and start selling it on a site like Bandcamp so I
    don't have to shell out some ungodly amount for an out-of-print CD
    selling at twice the original price and... what was I saying?)
    I have similar feelings about out-of-print CD-only doujin games of above average quality. I also don't torrent things like most people. :v

the number of metal labels on bandcamp is crazy

profound lore, relapse, debemur morti, willowtip, deathwish, hydra head, crucial blast, earache, southern lord, agonia, the list just goes and goes and goes

This is very true.

I think that literally every Sunn 0))) album is on Bandcamp. It is glorious.

Also, if I am not mistaken, the entirety of The Seer is available for streaming.
  • edited 2014-06-20 04:11:39

Eh.

I've heard both Swans work and Talk-Talk work (including one of their post-rock albums). I didn't really care for it.

What Swans have you heard? Because that period - and Gira's work as The Body Lovers/Haters shortly after their dissolution, which is a lot like it - is pretty unusual in their discography. I already basically said outright that I wouldn't recommend their other work to you because I feel like you wouldn't be into it.
  • the whole sunn0))) discography is on bandcamp yes

basically when Relapse got onto bandcamp and put their full backlog up there almost everyone followed suit

the whole sunn0))) discography is on bandcamp yes

basically when Relapse got onto bandcamp and put their full backlog up there almost everyone followed suit

Yup.

Also Nurse With Wound and Current 93 have the vast majority of their sizeable discographies on Bandcamp, including some really rare stuff like Nylon Coverin' Body Smotherin'.
  • man it's really weird realizing that Relapse is an indie label
  • edited 2014-06-20 04:17:37
    Big indie labels are nothing to sneeze at. Sun, Incus, Cherry Red, Rough Trade and Mute were/are all independents. Heck, Daniel Miller started Mute as a name to put on a self-released single.
  • like Relapse is the HUGEST metal label
    And Mute is just huge in general. So is (was?) Cherry Red.
  • i've never heard of cherry red
  • edited 2014-06-20 04:21:40
    They were one of the first labels to release punk records in the UK and progressed to releasing all sorts of interesting things.

Also, now that I think of it, Mute was technically bought out by EMI in 2002 and has formally switched hands a few times since then, but up to that point it was one of the biggest indies in the world.
    IIRC, 4AD is still independent and they're just generally awesome.
    Oh, true! They are, and they are a massive operation.
  • Eh.

What Swans have you heard? Because that period - and Gira's work as The Body Lovers/Haters shortly after their dissolution, which is a lot like it - is pretty unusual in their discography. I already basically said outright that I wouldn't recommend their other work to you because I feel like you wouldn't be into it.
    I don't remember what it was, it was something you linked to actually.

I dunno, Swans just have a certain reputation is all.

I suppose I could check it out and just delete it if I don't like it. I'm just really hesitant to break the specific vibe I have going tonight, is all.

I don't remember what it was, it was something you linked to actually.

I dunno, Swans just have a certain reputation is all.

I suppose I could check it out and just delete it if I don't like it. I'm just really hesitant to break the specific vibe I have going tonight, is all.

Their reputation is a bit narrow, honestly. Their work is extremely diverse.

I suggest you go listen to "Helpless Child". I do not think that it will break the mood that you are going for.