The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It is delicious. You should get it if you are ever over here, or I should send it to you, or something.
  • Somewhere there is pain, but I'm blind to it because I just remembered about the shiiiiiiiins

New Slang is so good, you guys!
  • edited 2014-06-15 20:07:07
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    @ Sredni I will keep an eye out for saltwater taffy. :)

And thanks for the offer, that's kind but not necessary.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Embedded image permalink
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    red bridge

blue bridge

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    who here played Fester's Quest

I did not
    I did not
    go forward
  • Odradek said:

Tachyon said:

What is saltwater taffy?  I don't think we have it here.

It always sounded unappealing and, well, salty, not sweet.

It does not taste salty as a matter of fact.

It was invented in Atlantic City New Jersey, and is mainly made in that area, so it is not surprising it is not huge over there.
    There are actually a couple cities that claim to have invented it, most of them in New Jersey or the Delmarva Peninsula.

I think the Atlantic City claim might be the "true" one though

who here played Fester's Quest

I did not

I am interested in bad NES games, because a time when people did not really know how to make a game or what a game really was is interesting to me.

Also, I played Bubsy 2, which is an SNES game.

It is a chaotic, confusing, unfun, and difficult game.
    go forward
    go forward
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I think my brother has a Fester's Quest cartridge around here somewhere but I've never played it
    Another Sunday, another trip to Dollar Depot!

And what's on the table this time? Why, another "Magestic" product, of course! This time they've combined magic and technology in that unique way that makes neither work properly. Let's take a look at the packaging:

MAGESTIC
    USB MAGIC WAND

• Perform magical tasks with your laptop or desktop computer!
      • Drains laptop batteries faster than normal use!
      • Now supports Windows 98 Second Edition!
    DISTRIBUTED BY DOLLAR DEPOT STORES
    1696 PENNYWISE PKWY, COLERAIN, CEN.

Now...can you see the obvious flaw in this product?
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Tach, you don't know what Saltwater Taffy is?  That's like not knowing what bread is.  It's the candy that comes in all flavors and all colors, that little kids like; the stuff they throw out at parades.  It's kind of ubiquitous, I mean, the plastic rocking horse of my toddler days still has the saltwater taffy stuck on it (it will never come off.  Nothing can ever induce it to come off).

I think my brother has a Fester's Quest cartridge around here somewhere but I've never played it

That's the magic of emulation!

You can play games that would have cost you a pretty penny back in the day for free, and with tiny file sizes!
    Yeah, I've played a zillion games via emulation I never would've paid for.
    ...although some of them I did pay for and I just like having a copy since my sister took all the actual physical cartridges blah blah
    Werewolves of London
  • edited 2014-06-15 20:48:30
    @Aliroz I have never seen anywhere sell saltwater taffy.  I have never seen it thrown out at parades.  I never tasted it when I was a little kid, and I have never seen a little kid eat any.

Do you know about the Metro, or Royal Mail rubber bands, or Marmite sandwiches?  Maybe you do, but I wouldn't just assume so.
    I like emulation because of save states.

I can play Mega Man 2 without getting annoyed by the lasers in QuickMan's stage, or that one dumb boss you need Crash Bombs to kill.
    Was that rude?  I apologize if it was.

But no, it is not like not knowing what bread is.  Bread is ubiquitous here.  Saltwater taffy is something I've only seen reference to online.
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

@Aliroz I have never seen anywhere sell saltwater taffy.  I have never seen it thrown out at parades.  I never tasted it when I was a little kid, and I have never seen a little kid eat any.

Do you know about the Metro, or Royal Mail rubber bands, or Marmite sandwiches?  Maybe you do, but I wouldn't just assume so.

Never heard of any of them.

I thought that Saltwater Taffy was one of the essential types of candy, like chocolate, or gum.  More of a genre of candy.
    Odradek said:

I can play Mega Man 2 without getting annoyed by the lasers in QuickMan's stage, or that one dumb boss you need Crash Bombs to kill.

I played through that game last night and I completely agree

Miko will not approve, however

Odradek said:

That latter boss is just dumb.

You need full Crash Bomb ammo, which goes against the apparent theme the game has been building of tackling things in different ways.
  • Odradek said:

Odradek said:

That latter boss is just dumb.

You need full Crash Bomb ammo, which goes against the apparent theme the game has been building of tackling things in different ways.
    Oh, right, that. Man that was stupid.
    It took me about 17 tries to figure it out.

Fuck you, Capcom
    Scissoring: An Unauthorized Parody

by C.H. Horsefucker
    Aliroz said:

Never heard of any of them.

I thought that Saltwater Taffy was one of the essential types of candy, like chocolate, or gum.  More of a genre of candy.

In fairness, maybe it is, where you are.

We don't even use the word 'taffy'.  For the longest time I thought it was just what Americans called toffee (as I understand it, it actually refers to the sweets we call Starburst or Chewits, depending on the brand).
  • edited 2014-06-15 21:11:42
    I have also never watched Jeopardy!, never seen fireworks on the 4th of July, never eaten Tater Tots, Twinkies or biscuits and gravy, and never recited the Pledge in school.  I did not watch Mr. Roger's Neighborhood as a kid, and I spell 'neighbourhood' with a 'u'.  I don't have even the faintest idea who Beetle Bailey is.  I have never played American football, and I'm not really even sure how it's played.  I will not be voting Democrat or Republican in the next election.  I have never eaten at Wendy's, or shopped at Target or Wal-Mart.  I'm only dimly aware of who David Letterman is.  I have never jaywalked, and I don't know when crossing the road would constitute jaywalking.   I have never been bored silly at the DMV.  I don't know what grits is/are.  At school, we did not have kickball or tetherball, and I don't know how commonplace those games are, either...
    O_O

*takes Tachyon to Wendy's right away*
    Tachyon said:

I have also never watched Jeopardy!, never seen fireworks on the 4th of July, never eaten Tater Tots, Twinkies or biscuits and gravy, and never recited the Pledge in school.  I did not watch Mr. Roger's Neighborhood as a kid, and I spell 'neighbourhood' with a 'u'.  I don't have even the faintest idea who Beetle Bailey is.  I have never played American football, and I'm not really even sure how it's played.  I will not be voting Democrat or Republican in the next election.  I have never eaten at Wendy's, or shopped at Target or Wal-Mart.  I'm only dimly aware of who David Letterman is.  I have never jaywalked, and I don't know when crossing the road would constitute jaywalking.   I have never been bored silly at the DMV.  I don't know what grits is/are.  At school, we did not have kickball or tetherball, and I don't know how commonplace those games are, either...

This story will be recounted at a war crimes trial, I assume
    I'm tempted to send you some saltwater taffy now but I don't know how much it would cost to ship something to England or Wales or wherever you'd be at the time

Clearly the solution is for you to just come to America and hang out sometime
    Oh, cool.  I'm at a Wendy's.

And, that's Beetle Bailey, I guess.  Thanks, Google.
  • edited 2014-06-15 21:20:15

tater tots are pretty lame, as are twinkies. fireworks are fireworks regardless of date. Jeopardy!, like other game shows, is hecka boring. Fred Rogers was a very nice, sweet, humble man. Beetle Bailey is a comic book character in a lighthearted comic strip about life in the army. Football is confusing, but it is more fun to watch than soccer imo, though there are too many ads. Target is pretty ok, they have some nice home furnishings and their store brand t-shirts fit well. Wal-Mart is hell. Jaywalking is any sort of illegal or reckless pedestrian street crossing. The DMV isn't actually that boring. Grits are a weird southern thing idk either.
  • edited 2014-06-15 21:20:27
    ^^^ It's fine, but thanks. :)

I would definitely like to visit America some day, although right now that's not really an option.  I will have to try it when I'm there.
    Twinkies are all right, I think. I used to like Jeopardy! when I was younger. And I liked Mr. Roger's Neighborhood when I was younger still.
    Wal-Mart is indeed hell, though
    I have been led to believe that the DMV is in fact hell, but maybe I was misinformed.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I've always felt Twinkies to be overrated

Remember how people freaked out about them when Hostess went under?
    depends on the DMV. I remember having a long wait at one in Arizona, but here in Pennsyltucky I never have to wait more than, like, two minutes.
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

I don't have even the faintest idea who Beetle Bailey is.

To be fair, Beetle Bailey was never funny to begin with.
  • edited 2014-06-15 21:26:29
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    In my experience, DMV (or BMV, because lol Ohio) employees aren't nearly as rude or condescending as the stereotypes make them out to be, but most branches are severely understaffed and as such it can be a pain to get anything done because you spend most of your time waiting in line.
    Not to mention that there's a lot of bureaucratic bullshit involved because, well, it's the government.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS