Questions and suggestions about the rules

Comments

• well, nobody really owns threads, and i don't think it's really a big dealiethingymabobber

of course i am not a mod so w/e
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    But if you were you would probably turn everyone into cats. Which is ok. :3
  • can we change the name of the official "member" group to "cats"?
  • edited 2013-06-19 16:24:30
    [edit: moved to another thread]
  • edited 2013-06-19 16:04:23

dudes tho really this is not a thread for non-pertinent discussion

and gmh you are a mod you should know better shame on you. (*admonishing finger wave*)
  • dudes tho really this is not a thread for non-pertinent discussion

my suggestion was entirely sincere.

• edited 2013-06-19 16:11:25

oh ok then. that would be funny and keeping with the ethos of this forum so it should be done imo.

but miko and gmh i got my eye on you and also anonus will probably ban us all now 5ever but yeah (*does the eye pointy thing while walking out backwards slowly*)

v dude srs
  • edited 2013-06-19 16:10:57
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    ^^ As was mine~
  • Actually, I posted before I read Mo's post.

That said I guess I should refrain from jokeposting in this thread.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Is Behind the Lampshade still a thing?

If not, probably need to touch up one of the rules.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    BTL's still around, but it's not really "about" TVT anymore.

Also, the link in the rules thread might be an old one; they're beyondthelampshade.org now.

Maybe that just needs updating then, or removal.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Considering it's not really "about" TVT now, I don't see a point in referencing it, personally.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Well, it's not as much about TVT anymore, but they haven't systematically distanced themselves from that realm of discussion in the way that we or IJBM have. So a new link might be helpful.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I think Sredni's right.

I went ahead and updated the link in the rules thread.
  • What's a good guideline on how many snowclones one is allowed to make in a day, or in an hour, or of a certain thread?
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    "None of these threads interest me" has like 100 snowclones of it.

No one has made enough in so quickly amount of time we've had to make a rule.

And no, that was not a dare or even a "double dog dare".
  • I understand, but sometimes I just feel like shitposting and I'm wondering what limits I should put on myself.

It'd be cool if you didn't block out the entire front page, me thinks.
  • kill living beings
    (especially) off topic in tachyon's thread so. probably this would be the best place for the dramaz.

Actully my note was meant to convey that neither are okay. 

then please try to step in earlier when rottweiler says something ridiculous and insulting, rather at whoever's first to lose pretending-not-to-be-pissed-off chicken. i'm done with acting.
  • edited 2014-06-03 16:17:40
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

We DID. Just not publicly. I made a public note because I was concerned the whole thread might degrade to a point where it gets locked (which has happened before).
  • Alright like, that's great to know, but since we didn't know that until now, it looked like nothing was being done.

I'm not saying you gotta bring the guy to the figurative town square and whip him in public view, but a separate private note to all involved would probably be nice. On a larger forum that'd be unreasonable, but incidents happen here rarely enough that I don't think it's unreasonable here, just so all involved know that something is being done and what said something is.
  • kill living beings
    Ditto Burgundy. I wouldn't have said anything about it if I knew the conversation was going to stop, but it didn't look like it was going to.
  • im with these other dudes on this
    I avoid threads dealing with philosophy and whatnot because they are more prone to dramas happening, I suspect. Also I find internet-philosophy to be boring and full of very strange conclusions with worrying implications. This is to say nothing of my own utopian vision of humans becoming machines. :D
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I hate to have to make this public, but one of Rott's posts did merit a private warning.
  • edited 2014-06-03 16:54:44

justice just said that dude

also see burgundy's post
  • (especially) off topic in tachyon's thread so. probably this would be the best place for the dramaz.

Actully my note was meant to convey that neither are okay. 

then please try to step in earlier when rottweiler says something ridiculous and insulting, rather at whoever's first to lose pretending-not-to-be-pissed-off chicken. i'm done with acting.
    You're not wrong--we should have stepped in publicly in the first place, or at least when we decided not to do that, we should have been consistent. I'm sorry you were singled out as a result.
  • edited 2014-06-03 17:43:13
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I agree that publicly stepping in would have been the best result. I'm also sorry if it appeared I singled anyone one out, that wasn't my intention and I apologize to anyone who felt I was targeting them specifically.

All this being said please keep in mind we have rules. I say that as a general reminder since it is something that's happened a few times on the board. Don't start breaking them because someone already did. Flag suspect posts and follow up with a mod or admin (or a bunch of us) if you can't tell if anything had been done and would like to make sure the issue has gotten attention. Determining a correct method for dealing with a rule violation gets pretty difficult if we have multiple violations all because of a single thread or instance.

• edited 2014-06-04 08:30:47
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Ah... I should have checked in here before taking umbrage.  Sorry about that, Justice, Anonus.

As far as I could see the only person being disrespectful was Mr Darcy, and then I guess possibly others who justifiably started to lose patience.  I'm still unsure who was being accused of a rule violation here and whether I was one of those people.

I notice that Mr Darcy persisted in denying any wrongdoing on his part even after Justice's first post in the LW thread.  It bothers me that this passed without comment.

Edit: when I made this post I was not aware that Darcy had already been banned, due to my rarely checking the activity page. >_>
  • edited 2014-06-04 01:40:54
    kill living beings
    i assumed i was being accused of rule violation because i obviously violated a rule.

anyway the apology is unnecessary but thanks for that anyway i guess. and i'll keep in mind to report instead, though i doubt i'll get angry in the future. in this particular case i suppose i had no confidence in the mods, but i was wrong.
  • edited 2014-09-08 18:36:11
    Are we allowed to request the reopening of old threads if we give a good reason for reopening them?

(I don't have a specific thread in mind but I'm just worried since I have a few topic-specific threads I've started, which I'd like to be able to update with new information, and if they get too old...)
  • May we post images hosted as artwork or screenshots by Steam?

If not, may we do this specifically for images that we have uploaded ourselves?
  • (late response, I know)

Does Steam abide by hotlinking the way Tumblr seems to?
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    they seem to
  • I guess I can let images from there be hotlinked, then...
  • not necessarily about the rules

but why are some threads now green?
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I don't see any green threads
    We were experimenting with green for unread threads. Do you not like it?
  • I don't dislike it, I was just confused.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

We were experimenting with green for unread threads. Do you not like it?

I love it!
    Anonus said:

This is not a shitpost thread

LOL that's literally all this thread ever was.
  • edited 2015-05-11 23:51:35
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    It's not, now stop

It's a waste of our time to fill this thread with silly crap
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    We should probably keep this thread to serious questions and suggestions, but a little jesting in between, so long as it is accompanied by some applicable content, seems entirely reasonable to me.

But posting things that are entirely silly is problematic, yes. Please be sensible.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    This thread is lighter now because I got around to merging a bunch of the joke posts with the shitpost version of this thread
  • because I'm a brain-farty ditz who keeps screwing up the colors
  • can we please sticky the name change thread I want to have my capitalization changed and I can't find it