No Looney Tunes in the LEGO Movie

edited 2014-05-31 01:09:18 in General
Seriously Warner Bros., what the hell?

Comments

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I don't think there are Looney Tunes Legos at all.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The point is that it was an animated movie produced by Warner Bros.

And which characters are closely associated with WB and animation?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    If it wasn't in a LEGO set, then no. Very much no.
  • edited 2014-05-31 01:55:45
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Though that just raises the question: why aren't there Looney Tunes Legos?
  • edited 2014-05-31 02:01:22
    Lego sets tend to be based on characters with more normal proportions, don't they?

It's acceptable to render a human being as a Lego figure.  Looney Tunes characters made from Lego would either not look like Looney Tunes, or not look like Lego figures.

That'd be my guess.

That or Looney Tunes just isn't trendy enough right now.
  • edited 2014-05-31 02:01:54
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Not many set options, and other companies already make toys in that vein.

^ True.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Oh, right, that'll be it, then.  What other companies?

Unrelated, but 'Lego' is and has always been an uncountable noun, and no amount of posts on the Internet will convince me otherwise.
    Looney Tunes isn't trendy enough because of WB's continual mishandling of the franchise
    You know, I don't think The Looney Tunes Show was bad, from what little I saw of it.

I mean, I don't think anyone wanted a Looney Tunes sitcom at all, but it was precisely what a Looney Tunes sitcom should have been.
    Well, I have no problem with that show (what little I have seen of it is two of the "Merrie Melodies" segments and they made me laugh)

It's just that Warner Bros. has a long history of acting as if Bugs Bunny and the other LT characters are basically Mickey Mouse and friends, in terms of how people perceive them and how they should be handled
    AK-47 Shirt complained that The Looney Tunes Show was American neocolonial propaganda intended to indoctrinate the rest of the world, because "there were American flags everywhere".

This isn't relevant, I just remembered that.
    (you know why Loonatics Unleashed exists? It's because Looney Tunes: Back in Action bombed...they didn't think it was about the quality of the movie, but rather people not wanting any more of the original LT characters ever)
    Anonus said:

It's just that Warner Bros. has a long history of acting as if Bugs Bunny and the other LT characters are basically Mickey Mouse and friends, in terms of how people perceive them and how they should be handled

That probably is how they're often perceived nowadays, to be fair.  Although, chicken or egg, I suppose.

The old Looney Tunes shorts always struck me as rather more mature and intelligent than Mickey Mouse cartoons.  There was more wordplay, at least, and the humour was ever so slightly darker, I think.
    I do enjoy Looney Tunes but I always preferred Tom and Jerry because I felt the shorts (the Bill and Joe ones and the Chuck Jones ones at least) were nicer to look at
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Warner Brothers also owns the rights to Elmyra. Why didn't they stick her in the LEGO movie? Elmyra even has a proud tradition of being crammed into properties where she doesn't belong.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It was only the right thing to do.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Anonus said:

(you know why Loonatics Unleashed exists? It's because Looney Tunes: Back in Action bombed...they didn't think it was about the quality of the movie, but rather people not wanting any more of the original LT characters ever)

Loonatics Unleashed is the apotheosis of executives not understanding things. It's kind of amazing.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

• Loonatics was... something

Its existence makes me thankful that Johnny Test was the Kids' WB relic that got seven seasons, and that's saying something
    there's no way in fuck WB would have let Cookie Jar at the Looney Tunes anyway

...the thought of the Looney Tunes being farmed out to some marginal Canadian kids' TV company is frightening to me
  • edited 2014-05-31 22:55:08
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    They were farmed out to DFE and Format back in the 1960s...I don't think it could get much worse than that.
  • edited 2014-05-31 23:04:07
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    In fairness to DFE, they actually put in a pretty good effort on their Pink Panther cartoons from the same era.

That makes it all the more baffling that they so badly half-assed their Looney Tunes cartoons.
  • edited 2014-05-31 23:09:07
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    lee4hmz said:

They were farmed out to DFE and Format back in the 1960s...I don't think it could get much worse than that.

Cookie Jar brought us this:

• edited 2014-06-01 01:04:42
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    hahaha oh wow

At least the Nicktoons were a little more subtle about their toilet humour...
    Not just that

The animation is also really jerky and the voice acting is amateurish

The only reason that something like that should have been made in 2009 is so it could air on Adult Swim

In the U.S., though, it airs on Starz Kids & Family
    (2015 self)
    Anonus said:

...the thought of the Looney Tunes being farmed out to some marginal Canadian kids' TV company is frightening to me

I never cared for the Looney toons in the first place. Even as a little kid, there was just something about it that rubbed me the wrong way.

I admire Mel Blanc the heck out for all the voices he did, though. And Arthur Q. Brian is awesome in any medium.

I liked the ones where Daffy Duck was being silly and Porky Pig was his competent sidekick. Like the Robin hood one, or the spaceman one.

And duck amuck was silly, so I liked it, and the great piggy bank robbery.

But I never liked Bugs Bunny. What a bully! I always empathized with Elmer Fudd, as a kid with a speech impediment and one who had problems with getting outsmarted by teasers and bullies. The very few times Elmer Fudd managed to beat Bugs Bunny were very satisfying. Like the Duck Amuck one where it was Bugs Bunny in place of Daffy Duck. And the one with Wagner's ring cycle.

I always felt bad for the characters that got blown up, smashed, catapulted, fell off cliffs, ran into walls, amd so on. The coyote getting startled by the roadrunner Into hurting himself was never amusing in the least. Never sneak up on me and startle me with loud noises. Just don't. It's an NLD thing, we don't respond well to that. I did, however, find it funny how Coyote's stuff would mess up in imaginative and creative ways.

Tom and Jerry is an abomination and you should feel terrible for being amused by it, you psychopath. Except for the ones where they team up against someone else.
  • you know, i agree with most all of that
    MGM still had more money than God and it showed in their cartoons

Delicious
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

you know, i agree with most all of that

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    to hell with cartoons
    but why, Imi
    because you like them too much
    (2015 self)
    Because Cartoons and television and film are terrible. To heck with screens!
    including the computer screen you're reading this on!
    (2015 self)

including the computer screen you're reading this on!

Especially that one!

because you like them too much

too much?
    to heck with postmodernism, boobs on the internet, and heavy metal
  • edited 2014-06-01 19:25:35
    also

IIRC the reason Yosemite Sam was created was because audiences were feeling too sorry for Elmer Fudd and they didn't want to make Bugs the bad guy
    Tachyon said:

to heck with postmodernism, boobs on the internet, and heavy metal

*smack*

I'm just kidding anyways