Nerd culture prefers Japanese animation to western animation

2»

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The tale of Rock & Rule is a sad one

I still haven't watched any Bakshi movies >_>
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    MetaFour said:

I've heard that Macek (sp?) was totes a fan of the series he was so loosely adapting. He was just forced to take liberties because he could only license part of the show, so he had to do nonsense like slap episodes from different shows together and try to pass it off as one story.

Also, the lip flaps don't always match the original Japanese dialog either. They tend to animate before recording the voices.

He smashed three series together because you needed 65 episodes to get syndication and back then syndication was a thing people cared about.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    this was before you could get anime over the internet, legally or illegally, so...
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Needing 65 episodes for syndication is also how 101 Dalmatians: The Series ended up being the way it is
  • kill living beings
    also macross was pretty good.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    So basically there isn't really creative freedom you're thinking of, just the illusion that there is.

One side is dominated by one type of fiction, the other is dominated by whatever will sell toys and junk.

At least, that's what it seems like to me.
  • edited 2014-05-28 20:54:52
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Well... I would say that there is more freedom, but that it is a consequence of the same forces that mean that there is less of it over here. Anime production involves a lot less oversight as far as content goes because there is less monetary investment and, Japanese ultra-fans being looser with their wallets than Americans, a greater percentage return. While this means that there is more fan pandering outside of children's programming and film, it also means that oversight is much lower with respect to more outré things. No-one would make serial experiments: lain or Kemonozume or Mouryou no Hako over here because there is too much money tied up in creation to allow for potential failure and too little fan investment at the teen and adult level... which, in the latter case, is reinforced by American attitudes about animation.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I was gonna say some stuff, but I think GHM covered the biggest reasons already.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Anonus said:

The tale of Rock & Rule is a sad one

I still haven't watched any Bakshi movies >_>
    Turns out I got confused; I was thinking of Heavy Metal, which Nelvana wasn't involved in. I did notice that both movies were co-produced by C/FP, though...