My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Image-Heavy)

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Apparently the heat from the bronies has caused a little internal investigation about the JanAnimation cease and desist. Fingers crossed.

Watched the latest episode. It think this is an episode I'll realize I liked the more I think about it. Sweetie Belle's anger at Rarity was so... sisterly I guess... like it did seem believable for an 8 year old to react that way (assuming she's 8. I don't think it's been official stated anywhere, but it seems like a reasonable age).

Luna is apparently crazy powerful, she is basically Equestria Sandman at this point. I wonder if she can actually predict the future, or if it's sort of a projection of some of the worse fears of ponies she visits. Still...

I'm wrought with the urge to do a short story or a series of shorts where Luna has nothing better to do than bug ponies and try to help them in their dreams...  
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I can't believe that nightmare was a completely accurate prophecy, because I don't think Fluttershy would ever say "Make me some dresses!" like that.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    PROTIP: 

Despite what you might read to the contrary, the plural hooves predominates over hoofs in printed text.  In speech the singular and plural variant pronunciations exhibit a fairly complex distribution pattern, and often variation occurs unpredictably in the speech of individuals.

Source: MWNCD9E, page 580

MetaFour said:

I can't believe that nightmare was a completely accurate prophecy, because I don't think Fluttershy would ever say "Make me some dresses!" like that.

Yeah, I thought about it more and came to the conclusion that that it was Sweetie Belle's or possibly Rarity's nightmare. 

It seemed unlikely to me Sapphire Shores would publicly humiliate Rarity like that. Though, it seems quite possible she might fire her with that serious attitude of hers. 

I'm wrought with the urge to do a short story or a series of shorts where Luna has nothing better to do than bug ponies and try to help them in their dreams...  

Shortskirtsandexplosions (author of super-popular, depressing doorstoppers like Background Pony and The End of Ponies) wrote a comedy with that premise. Luna keeps showing up in Scootaloo's dreams and offering her bad advice. By the end of the story, everyone is dead.

I think you could do better.

Uh wow, yeah...

No, no dead ponies. Just Luna showing up to help ponies with stuff, often trivial or unimportant. Possibly a few legitimate fears that but with Ponies like Pinkie or something where Luna finds she's quite out of her depth to assist. 
  • edited 2014-03-24 04:34:44
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I re-watched Maud Pie.

It made me chuckle in some places. It's pretty sweet in others. 

The part where Pinkie needs rescuing bumps me a little because Pinkie's friends who have face potentially world ending cataclysms sit their dumb struck. I would have been okay if, say, Rainbow Dash at least got started but Maud was a little quicker on the draw.

Also, the end where they decided their mutual love of Pinkie is enough to bind them together sounds good, but it's pretty much that nerd social fallacy thingy or whatever kept making the rounds in TVTropes. Suggesting that love and friendship is transitive, or what have you.

Still, on re-watched I would call it a net-positive experience.

I'd love to see more of Pinkie's family. On that note, ponies should check out Slice of Life if they haven't. A few strips have been Jossed by season 4, but it's still a great read.
    I really like what I've read of Slice of Life, but I absolutely hate the fact that it's hosted on Tumblr. I can't think of a worse interface for reading a webcomic.

As for Maud, that last scene is rather telling. She has a special box to protect all the rock candy necklaces from Pinkie, but she doesn't do anything like that for the necklaces from the rest of the mane six. So there's something between Maud and the mane six, which might or might not grow to be more meaningful in the future, but it currently isn't as deep as Maud and Pinkie's relationship.

The latest episode of Ultra Fast Pony, came out a day late, but it was well worth the wait. It's a double-length episode, tackling part one of "A Canterlot Wedding". While the last extended episode (UFP's version of "The Best Night Ever") had quite a few jokes that fell flat for me, this one is good all the way through—and some of the jokes only work because the extra runtime allows them to go really audacious. And a bunch made full use of continuity: that Orb joke, for example, was funny precisely because he had two previous episodes worth of buildup.

Considering how much bait-and-switch is going on with this plot, I can't help but wonder what Cadance's actual deal is. Is she legitimately evil, or is she just a dick like (nearly) everyone else in this AU? How is Chrysalis going to fit into all this?

This page is great.

Finally caught up on the last two episodes.

They where both pretty decent. I wasn't blown away, but there wasn't anything that really bugged me either. So, enjoyable, at least.

Friday really liked For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils.

Testing, Testing 1,2,3 was pretty entertaining at times.

Trade ya has maybe one moment where I laughed (Pinkie sort of threatens a minor) and other than that was pretty terrible.

Inspiration Manifestation had me laughing pretty much all the way through, and also inspired me to write a short fan-fic that was featured with the mature filter off on Fim Fiction. One of the shows strongest episodes, I must say.

• BeeBee
    edited 2014-05-12 02:10:19
    The season finale was good for about 30 minutes, then decided it was going to be Pony Ball Z instead and I'm not sure if I loved it ironically or genuinely.

Once more, Hasbro should probably be making toy designs off of what the show does rather than the other way around.  The rainbow powerup looked hilariously hideous, and Twilight's new castle is kind of an aesthetic train wreck.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Pony Ball Z, heheheh
  • edited 2014-05-12 18:50:03
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I don't really see how that's a bad thing. As I see it, they copied what was good about DBZ, namely the epic fight scenes, while cutting out the bad—the padding and the endless "powering up". So it's only a problem if you think epic fight scenes don't really belong in a show named Friendship Is Magic. And that particular ship sailed a long time ago.

Confession: I've never actually seen Dragon Ball Z.
    Hell, that ship was out to sea by the end of the second episode. XD
  • LWLW
    edited 2014-05-12 20:38:49

@Bee,
    This should probably come with the qualifier that I do not have high standards, but I thought it was sort of interesting to see the pony Mega Evolutions. Also, I feel like the ending kind of addresses the issue of what role Twilight's friends would have now that she is an alicorn. Of course, there are probably tons of things you could criticize about the season finale, so I will defer to the MLP experts here on that subject.

I really liked it, possibly my favorite two parter yet. Very dark in places. My only complaint is I felt it would have worked better as a three parter to draw out certain stuff. Especially in terms of Discord sort of earning some trust back. 

I mean the key scenes where all there, just seems certain parts could have been expanded on a bit more.

Still, I'd imagine it'd be pretty hard to swing a three parter given the nature of the show.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-05-13 12:22:32
    I think the networks are all still paranoid after Spiderman's ridiculous sagas that frustrated viewers because they always reran the same ten or so episodes over and over because they got good ratings the first time.  Which is, of course, also the network's fault rather than the cartoon's.

Hehe, perfect.

To satisfy my curiosity, I figured I'd look up Aryanne. Apparently she came about because people often couldn't tell which pony the artist was attempting to draw, so he drew a combination of Applejack and Rainbow Dash. A friend of his made a joke by adding the swastika. 

So, basically the whole thing is a joke that the internet has taken and ran with. 
    I've never heard of Aryanne, and from that description it sounds like I'm better off not knowing?
  • edited 2014-05-26 19:08:54
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

^^I love the browser ponies.

^ She's a white pony with a straight blond mane who has a swastika surrounded by a heart for a cutie mark.

That's pretty much it.

People draw fan-art because shes's cute if you ignore the cutie mark, and at this point I'm guessing most everyone who draws her, including her creator, decided that their work needed an extra bit of irony over the fact that they were drawing cartoon ponies.

• BeeBee
    edited 2014-05-26 20:19:34
    Seriously, my current job has given me every reason to despise IE with the fiery loathing of a thousand angry suns heaving through a void of rage.  Well over 2/3 of the bugs I have to fix are IE specific, as are nearly all of the serious ones.

But I'd pretty much just hug Ivy forever.  And teach her proper CSS standards and context-switching.  But mostly hug her.
    I thought it couldn't be done, but 2snacks has done it. He made a 3D animated pony model that actually looks cute instead of creepy.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-07-12 18:36:40
    The gmod ones aren't that bad.  I think it's the discolored lip that makes them creepy, and that most people using it don't really know how to do facial expressions.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm reading through the first two volumes of the MLP comic this week.

I had forgotten how good it was. It's even better than the show in some ways.
    MetaFour said:

I thought it couldn't be done, but 2snacks has done it. He made a 3D animated pony model that actually looks cute instead of creepy.

Wow, they even got all the wild takes right!
  • lee4hmz said:

MetaFour said:

Wow, they even got all the wild takes right!
    There is hope then. When they inevitably attempt a 3D game/movie of the series, it might not look like complete dreck.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-08-07 19:40:54
    Or it'll look like Creepy Care Bears Girl.  But you know, possibilities.

Also, have something adorable.

(2015 self)
    (2015 self)
    Anyways, I'm watching Season Four, and I really like this show.

Applejack reminds me so much of myself I cant really stand her.

Twilight also reminds me of myself.
  • edited 2014-09-29 18:11:04
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Spoiler:
    SO, the finale of season four. Well, um. Compared to Discord's introduction, this wasn't as good. Discord genuinely felt threatening and had an atmosphere of real menace with his silliness. He had personality, and it was quite emotional seeing the friends turned against one another. Not taking into account later episodes where Discord is reformed, I'd classify him as a relatively scary villain.

Tirek just steals magic, flight, and strength. We don't get time to see how losing those things affects the characters. We don't see what it would be like for Rainbow Dash, for example, to lose her ability to fly; and done right, a thing like that could be very powerful.

But, well, to be fair, Tirek did destroy... yeah (which.. yeah. I was spoiled on that, so I skipped that scene for obvious reasons) which, in future episodes, the writers could go some interesting places with that I will not discuss because... yeah.

So, I probably missed the most important scene that puts all the emotional stake in it; but, yeah.

I swear, if they do an episode dealing with... yeah, I will forgive the show everything it's done wrong ever.
  • edited 2014-09-29 18:13:24
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Man, this thread is dead.

I'mma just say that I really like this show.
    I wrote a thing. I'm very proud of this thing.

What if Ditzy Doo's derped eyes were not a disability, but a superpower? What if she used that superpower to save Ponyville from extradimensional horrors right under everypony else's noses? For starters, it would look really weird to anypony who noticed.

It's set squarely during season 2 (sort of a Lower Deck Episode showing what Ditzy was actually doing in the background of "May the Best Pet Win" and "The Last Roundup") so anyone who hasn't watched the more recent seasons still shouldn't have any trouble following it.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-02-13 19:08:12
    They're making another Equestria Girls, and somehow managed to make the designs even more terrible.  I mean the first ones were simple enough for animators to make them usable and only mildly uncanny, and we expect glam rock to look ridiculous.  But come on.

Note that Rarity is not present.  She's probably just offscreen having an epileptic seizure upon seeing this train wreck.

Oh man, it's like "plasma" from FRACTINT barfed on them. :P
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-02-13 22:34:24
    So...much...neon plaid...

FFS the theme is sports.
  • edited 2015-02-19 02:27:58
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I can't vouch for what Friendship Games is going to be like, but I just finally got around to watching Rainbow Rocks and it was pretty fun to me.
    Yeah, there are still some issues inherent to the premise, but it's still an improvement over the first Equestria Girls in nearly every possible way.

And it's got a Maud cameo. Maud makes everything better.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    The Maud cameo was funny.

The Sirens were basically the Hex Girls, which is entirely fine by me.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Thread hasn't been posted in in a year! A whole season has aired since then, and another has premiered! Which I will be watching soon.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I really hate how the library got blown up in the fourth season finale and replaced with the weird castle

really, from the third season onward, the season openers/finales don't seem to be all that great. There's worldbuilding, yeah, but I don't remember it being so dominated by obviously corporate-mandated stuff in seasons one and two.