ProfessorGator liveblogs his MomoCon experience

edited 2014-05-23 12:28:25 in Liveblogs
Today is a very special day. It is the first time I have ever visited a convention. As such, I think it's time to break tradition and post from my phone.

Thus far, MomoCon's been okay. Kinda slow since the stuff I want to go to starts at 5:30. I had burritos for lunch. Very tasty. I also got a free Cardfight Vanguard tutorial deck for indulging one of the game room staff in a game. It contains laser dragons. Mojave would be happy.

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Cool!
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I also got a free tutorial deck of Future Card Buddyfight, which isn't even trying to hide how anime it is. Its description is amusingly generic. You're a children's monster-battling franchise, courage and friendship are to be expected. It has cool dragons though, and that makes it all better :P

I scoped out the dealers' room while I was at it. They have plushes of Pokémon I didn't even know had plushies until today. Haxorus comes to mind. Most of the ones I'd like are $30, though, so I'm still saving up.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Currently eating an early dinner to prepare for the giant block of events this evening. It's just cheap Asian-American mall food, but I like it. It serves its purpose well enough.

I also bought a Japanese Dragonite plush for $20. Adorbs
  • > Dragonite plush

would get
  • It contains laser dragons. Mojave would be happy.

ye
    Just got out of the Team Rocket's Radio Tower panel. It was fun at first, but I lost interest after trivia ended.

The room exploded at a theory that Ash's father is the narrator. IIRC, this would mean that in Japanese, Ash's father would be Dexter. Pfft

One guy asked about the Sound type. No. That us not make sense.

I attempted the last trivia question: Which 3 Elite Four members debuted in a previous generation? I got two of them, but missed one because it was bullshit. I'm very salty about not winning a free copy of White 2, a game I already have :P
    Pokermans doubles tournament in progress. The first round took 45 minutes because there were 5 other tournaments going on and only 4 referees. That was frustrating.

On the plus side, I won the first two rounds. I even beat Protean Greninja and Talonflame, so eat that, Mr. Angry Facebook Commenter.

Then Garchomp and Gyarados proceeded to beat the tar out of me. It's double elimination, so I still have a chance, but daaaaaaaaaaamn
    Didn't win, but made it to top 5. I'm happier about this than I probably should be.

I also made it onto the Runaway Guys' Thrown Controllers show, so you might see me on the YeTube. If so, I'll keep how I did a surprise, but I am the 4th contestant to go on.
  • > One guy asked about the Sound type. No. That us not make sense.

Why not?

Then again, there should also be a Light type.
  • edited 2014-05-24 00:25:08
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I dunno, to me it seems like the entire basis of the Sound type would be, oh there's a few musical Pokémon and a few sound-based moves. It sounds almost like saying there should be a Teeth type because of the biting moves and the existence of Feraligatr.

To put it less bluntly, sound seems more like a sub-type than a full type in and of itself.
    Day 2 begin. Unfortunately I overslept and missed Jeopardy :(

I did, however, buy a Japanese Latias plush for thirtybux. Adorbs
    Pokermans singles tournament in progress. I lost round 1 (frigging Zoroark and Conkeldurr), but won round 2 by virtue of my opponent being a no-show. Hey, I'll take it :P
    I got top 7. I also easily defeated Aegislash several times, so of course, I will gleefully rub it into Mr. Angry Facebook Commenter's face.

Unfortunately, this will be the end of my Momocon adventure this year, since there's not much else I want to see. I did, however, buy a couple more souvenirs. I will be posting photos of my loot later.

I also want to point out that yesterday, I saw more cosplays of Ash Ketchum than any other character, with Pinkie Pie being a close second. Today it was Elsa, followed by Pinkie Pie again and Sakura Kyoko.
  • Most of the cosplayed characters I see at conventions are characters I don't recognize.

A good lot of them are all in schoolgirl outfits of various colors.