General Britcoin Thread

edited 2014-03-08 02:23:27 in General
Together they all make up a shield!

I wish my country's coins had something that clever...

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i remember the first time someone showed me you could do that i was just like, woah
  • edited 2014-03-08 02:52:43
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Although convoluted, I think that I would prefer the non-decimal pre-'70s farthing/penny/groat/shilling/pound/guinea system.
    Why's that?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Being able to divide one of one's major monetary unit's into 1008 parts is weirdly appealing to me. Just the math is fun: One guinea is 1.05 pounds sterling is twenty-one shillings is eighty-four groats is two hundred and fifty-two pence is one thousand and eight farthings!
    I love monetary divisions.
    You wouldn't normally count it that way, though.

You'd say there were 20 shillings to a pound, and a guinea was one pound and one shilling.
    I know, but I wanted to go with the deepest number of layers possible to demonstrate the principle.
  • important question: are you a walnut or a filbert or a cashew or a peanut or a brazilnut or a chestnut or an almond or a pecan
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Here's something that bugs me though

The lesser coins form the same shield as on the £1 coin

But they only add up to 88p

Where's the other 12p?
  • edited 2014-03-08 04:24:14
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    It's not meant to add up to £1.  Those are simply the most common valued coins in circulation.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I know, I know

But the autistic part of me wants it to equal £1 since it's the same graphic

Also, typing £ is a pain
    no it's not, you just press shift + 3 :p
    and if i want to type $ i just press shift + 4

i'm calling America-centric keyboard design here
  • Typing any coherent thought is hard with these BURNING AMERICAN FREEDOM keyboards that just have a picture of a bald eagle on every key.
    ...holy crap, I just realized

# and £ are both referred to as a pound symbol

and they're in the same place on their respective keyboard layouts

you win this round, keyboard designers
    what no it's not a pound symbol it's a hash

Americans
    seriously i'm not just being obnoxious, i legit did not know it was called the pound symbol over there

or if i did i'd forgotten
    Now that I think about it, it should have been obvious that it's not called a "pound" in Britain, since that means something else there.

...So what do you guys call the # key on a telephone?
  • edited 2014-03-08 04:42:21
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    The hash key.
  • I've also heard it called a ticky and a crossboard before, but those are both regionalisms I'm pretty sure.
    It's kind of amusing, actually, "hash" has only really fallen into common use in America now that hashtags are widespread.

I also see people, usually younger people, referring to the # symbol itself as a "hashtag", which is weird.
    I generally think of it as "the sharp sign," myself.

I know that there is a subtle difference, but still.
  • A hashtag is technically a # followed by a word (the word is the "tag" part).

It's a difference that I suspect will fade over time. This will literally be my literally.
    I do find it funny how technology subtly influences the way we think of this typographical stuff

How many people know that @ is called a "commercial at"? Or remember its original purpose?
  • I had an English teacher in middle school who insisted we refer to @ as "an encircled alph".

He was real dumb, in retrospect.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Being able to divide one of one's major monetary unit's into 1008 parts is weirdly appealing to me. Just the math is fun: One guinea is 1.05 pounds sterling is twenty-one shillings is eighty-four groats is two hundred and fifty-two pence is one thousand and eight farthings!

• the correct term is "octothorpe" you insensitive clods
    (2015 self)

Here's something that bugs me though

The lesser coins form the same shield as on the £1 coin

But they only add up to 88p

Where's the other 12p?
    THere should be more coins, of six, four, and two pence.  THey will be small, and will makemissing parts of the shield.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    ...But there is a two pence. It's right there.
    (2015 self)
    WELL WE NEED ANOTHER TWO PENCE COIN THEN. 

DIDN'T THINK OF THAT, HUH?

WHATCHA GONNA DO NOW, PUNK?!!
    How about a 25p coin? That way you can have quarters like Americans do! :P
    (2015 self)

How about a 25p coin? That way you can have quarters like Americans do! :P

DAT DUZZNT ADD UP TUH ONE POUND!
    It does in the modern denomination, although it wouldn't when a shilling was twelve pence.

That said, they still have shillings and combinations thereof, so quarters seem a touch redundant? Also guineas are still around and they're weird enough.
  • what if you could just like trade guinea pigs as a system of formal currency.
    Guinea pigs are a very popular form of livestock in Peru.
  • what if you could just like trade pokemon refined metal as a system of formal currency

Typing any coherent thought is hard with these BURNING AMERICAN FREEDOM keyboards that just have a picture of a bald eagle on every key.

(2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

Typing any coherent thought is hard with these BURNING AMERICAN FREEDOM keyboards that just have a picture of a bald eagle on every key.

Awww, that's such a pretty design there! I like it.