ITT: We discuss logos

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    aw man

I remember that from my old Sesame Street tapes
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tre said:

preferably the old Sony Wonder

not the new age Smurfs shit they've got now (although the fact that the video player looks like a PSP is admittedly pretty nice)
    Somehow that reminds me of old CD-ROM games

But in a good way
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-01-05 14:57:56
    I associate it with Sesame Street as well, like Anonus

Although I'm fairly sure I had some of the CD-Rom games too
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • Hmph. Conan's was better. -folds arms-
    Things it took me too long to realize:

Those are supposed to be periods, not just random decorative dots
  • TJ Maxx's logo always made me think of Exxon

Except I think Exxon's variant of the xx ligature is a bit better (it's clearer)
  • as far as superfluous Xs go I always liked
    since it represents Rx for prescription
    There was a chain called "SupeRx" that did the same thing

It was my favorite store when I was like 3 because it's pronounced "Super X" and that's a funny name
  • yeah i tried to pronounce eckerxd, failed
  • it's Britain, bitch
    I'll admit it took me a minute to see the flag instead of the arrow, but once I did, I liked it
  • lol at all the commenters missing the point
    Wow...
    I view this as another nail in the coffin, honestly

I get the sense that Hasbro has been giving up on the channel, at least slowly...
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    What do you think will happen to the channel?
  • Only time will tell, I guess.

The "network" part seems extraneous but I actually like the italicized text, for whatever reason. Feels less static.
    ^^DreamWorks Animation or somebody will swoop in and buy Hasbro's half, or the whole thing.

I only have a couple months of experience working in marketing, but...trying to take an incredibly generic word as your brand's hashtag seems like a bad idea
  • If anything, #Visa would work better, and even that's pretty bad
  • Then again, this is from the same company that literally uses the word "go" as its slogan

So yeah, not expecting a paragon of virtuous branding effort from them for very much of anything
    The design community is freaking out over "Squarespace Logo", a new website by Squarespace that lets you "design" a logo using stock icons and free Google fonts for $10:

It's kind of insulting to actual designers, sure, but it's not really a threat to their jobs because, let's face it: anyone who considers this stuff to be a sufficient "logo" is not someone who would have otherwise hired a designer.

Personally I'm just amused that they're charging $10 for some shit that anyone willing to spend 10 more minutes could get for free. And then they're not even offering it as a vector file!
    hahaha oh wow

I bet the old GIMP "Script-Fu" feature could do a better job than that
  • Isn't this basically the same idea Vistaprint bad a while back?

Also, completely unrelatedly, Squarespace is very good at leaving their name in your mind. Must be all those damned Spotify ads.
    I'm never sure how to feel about things like Squarespace. On one hand, I find the "build a web site from a generic template" thing kinda lazy, but at the same time I realize there are a number of small businesses and the organizations that don't necessarily have the budget to hire a proper web designer...*shrug*
  • If nothing else, they're the only website builder I'd consider to have outright "gorgeous" layouts.

So there's that, I suppose.

oh my god what a gorgeous sign
    I know, right?
    You know

I like that IBM has the sense to not fuck with their Rand logo
  • Generally if your brand has a Rand logo, you should stick with it

not doing so oftentimes ends in disaster
    ABC has largely not fucked with theirs either...They hired Paul Barnes to redesign it in 1999, but the notion was abandoned.
    They've themed it practically every season since the late 1960s, but they haven't changed the basic design, which is awesome.
    DHX Media changed their logo; it continues the DIC and Cookie Jar tradition of obnoxious kid voices:

Also, it's animated in a way that brings to mind Fred Seibert's observation that TV logos tended to be animated oddly because they weren't designed with motion in mind. "Make the damn thing move," he said.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    So many Cold-War era corporate monoliths used vaguely similar shades of blue:

imageimage

• edited 2014-01-27 02:01:11
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I did always love Saul Bass's Bell System logo

Even more than the "death star" logo he designed for the post-breakup AT&T
    Those are the respective work of Saul Bass, Chermayeff & Geismar (now Chermayeff & Geismar & Haviv), and Paul Rand.

They designed a huge amount of recognizable logos and symbols...
  • Paul Rand: Better Than Rand Paul™
  • spinor said:

Paul Rand: Better Than Rand Paul™

It's sad that Paul even has to be associated with... that...
  • interestingly, both Paul Rand and Ayn Rand originally had the last name Rosenbaum.
    Morton Salt

I had always wondered why the little girl seemed to get older with every subsequent redesign

I do like that this newest one is basically just a cleaner redraw of the 1968 girl, though

(Also: I always wondered if she influenced the design of the animated Coraline)
    ooh, Omnes in the 100 Years logo too!

Morton Salt is a brand I rarely think about, which is odd because of how deliberately consistent the brand has been...
    I usually buy store-brand salt, to be honest, but I've always admired Morton's branding
  • Any opinions on the little Sunrise intro you see on the videos uploaded by the GundamInfo YT channel (for example, as seen at the beginning of every episode of Gundam Build Fighters)?
    Is it this?

I remember seeing it at the end of Escaflowne and DinoZaurs (a shortened version, anyway) on Fox Kids; this was 14 years ago...
    Oh, wait, it's not...

I am not fond of it...
    Also, finding this now is kind of bittersweet, but here's the "H&FJ" logo by itself...
    Anonus said:

Also, finding this now is kind of bittersweet, but here's the "H&FJ" logo by itself...

:(