The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• edited 2013-11-22 13:22:15

haha

reading.

see, mah boi mojave gets it.

(*throws on some wicked shades, kickflips off into the sunset*)
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Primitives, all of you. Only such a lowly being would read words instead of assimilating them directly into their datastream.
  • I had a friend in fifth grade who was 5,000% sure that he could study by beating himself over the head with his textbooks instead of reading them
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Odradek said:

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #133

This has to be very cathartic for Jimmy
    is this for real
  • man if the clothes I'm wearing don't blind at least one person what's the point?
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Google Books is clearly part of the Reptilian plot to destroy literacy as we know it.

What?

You dare accuse us of this travesty?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    you just crossed a line there, buddy

man if the clothes I'm wearing don't blind at least one person what's the point?

Actually my sister's fashion philosophy.
  • One upshot of the e-book revolution seems to be that publishers (and presumably consumers) are paying more attention to the book as object/artifact. This is more than a kind of Frankliln Mint or Easton Press phenomenon. Check out the new, quarto-sized, full-color annotated critical editions being published by Harvard UP or Norton, for example; or productions like Penguin’s Drop Caps or Clothbound Classics Series. It seems as if in these cases formal/physical elements like accomplished typography and readable fonts (increasingly identified in books’ colophons), good paper, and remarkable bindings/jackets are being leveraged against the low, low prices and accessibility/convenience of e-books.
    (2015 self)
    I mean, Xiaoming Wang and John Thorbjarnarson's The Chinese Alligator was a book that took years of research.  Thorbjarnarson got malaria from the swamps they went to, and died just before the publication of the book; and Wang agreed that most of the money from the book should go to Thorbjarnarson's family (instead of the rather equal amounts Thorbjarnarson and Wang had originally agreed on).

So, distributing this material without charging for it; how are you going to pay the authors?  How is this different from stealing a copy of the book, reprinting it, and giving it out for free?

How is Thorbjarnarson's life's work being distributed without (as far as I can see) any any benefit to his family?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Pillows said:

Odradek said:

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #133

This has to be very cathartic for Jimmy
    is this for real
    You never really have to ask if a crazy Jimmy Olsen cover is for real.

It always is.
  • Aliroz said:

I mean, Xiaoming Wang and John Thorbjarnarson's The Chinese Alligator was a book that took years of research.  Thorbjarnarson got malaria from the swamps they went to, and died just before the publication of the book; and Wang agreed that most of the money from the book should go to Thorbjarnarson's family (instead of the rather equal amounts Thorbjarnarson and Wang had originally agreed on).

So, distributing this material without charging for it; how are you going to pay the authors?  How is this different from stealing a copy of the book, reprinting it, and giving it out for free?

How is Thorbjarnarson's life's work being distributed without (as far as I can see) any any benefit to his family?

where is someone giving away this book for free exactly?
    (2015 self)
    I assume that Google is doing some sort of thing where they pay the authors (or author's families) and thus this distribution of the research and work is financially benefiting the authors (or author's families).  Because otherwise, I find this to be unconscionable use of material without any compensation to the creator (Wang is still alive, as is Thorbjarnarson's wife and kids).

I mean, this book isn't in the public domain, it was published first in around 2010.
  • edited 2013-11-22 13:39:55
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

Aliroz said:

where is someone giving away this book for free exactly?
    Google books, where you apparently read books for free.  They have been sued by The Author's Guild, an institution I deeply respect, so I assume there's at least something going on there.
  • edited 2013-11-22 13:40:24

looking it up, they have 26ish pages of it readable

which seems reasonable if you ask me, it's enough to show you the writing style and what the book is about so you can see if you want to buy it or not

it's like flipping through a book and reading a wee bit of it before checking something out at the library.
    (2015 self)

looking it up, they have 26ish pages of it readable

which seems reasonable if you ask me, it's enough to show you the writing style and what the book is about so you can see if you want to buy it or not

it's like flipping through a book and reading a wee bit of it before checking something out at the library.
    Well, how was I supposed to know that?

It's called Google Books; not Google Excerpts From Books.

Google: 1

Aliroz's Credibility:  0.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    fictional boys
  • if you're gonna get mad about somethin, get mad at Amazon, they are known to have "previews" that can in some cases consist of most of the book.
    (2015 self)

if you're gonna get mad about somethin, get mad at Amazon, they are known to have "previews" that can in some cases consist of most of the book.

Getting mad at Amazon for being a terrible soapy copyright thief that screws over people is like getting mad at tapeworms for needing a host to live in. 

By which I mean, it is completely reasonable even though it's the innate nature of the creature; and both are serious problems that really need to be fixed before it affects more people.

Also, everybody knows that Amazon is like that.  Google has a reputation for being a non-terrible thing; which is apparently actually deserved.
  • weird, most of the Amazon previews I've seen stop before you can even get any idea of what the book's like at all

granted, I go there more for other things besides books, but still
    nostalgic dreams
    (2015 self)
    Sorry, Google, I was wrong.  You're innocent.

-takes handcuffs off Google-

Yeah, I'm that kind of figure in this episode.
    dynasty time travel
    The perfect man is a minimum of 30ft tall, made of reinforced steel, and armed with nuclear powered laser cannons.
    (2015 self)

The perfect man is a minimum of 30ft tall, made of reinforced steel, and armed with nuclear powered laser cannons.

You forgot to mention this man's hat.

Anyways, I am the Lieutenant Dundy to Google's Sam Spade.

Now, who is Joel Cairo?
    the perfect man is paper
  • the perfect man is, in fact, a polecat
    This troper has had this happen exactly one time, and that was when he realized that his learning disabilities had caused him to push away the only girl...hell, the only person to ever love him for who he was. He sobbed hysterically, and while he was crying, was also busily shattering every mirror in his room (all 5 of them) with his bare hands, cutting the heck out of them, and all the while screaming "I am not a monster" over and over. The last one ended up with my 6 foot long Sephiroth Muramasa replica through it, since my hands were too bloody and the glass was too thick to break with my hands. 

I hope this is fake so it's okay that I find it as hilarious as I do.
    this troper something

I like to imagine this comic is the result of old people not understanding what a "pusher" is.
    hongkongnese
    HAW HAW
  • edited 2013-11-22 14:38:04
    (2015 self)
    Baby Pseudosuchians make such cuter sounds than baby humans.

I mean, look at the first few seconds on this video (spoilered to make the page easier for those on mobile.

Spoiler:

• TreTre
    edited 2013-11-22 14:57:40
    pushers?

Spoiler:
    (2015 self)
    Tre, videos make the page extremely hard to load for those on mobile.  Please spoiler all videos and images.
    crocodile friends

I think I broke Firefox.
    candy
  • reason and photoshop
    (2015 self)

Spoiler:
  • edited 2013-11-22 14:57:27
    (2015 self)
    Spoiler:

I think I broke Firefox.

whoa
    (2015 self)

You just unlocked the double secret tab! Go you!

Double secret tab? What sorcery is this?
    meow
    shitlordery
    dat privilege
  • Aliroz said:

Tre, videos make the page extremely hard to load for those on mobile.  Please spoiler all videos and images.

Weird, I've never had any problems. Ah well. Fixed anyway.
    roar