Fighting brings us together

edited 2013-10-26 22:51:18 in General Media

Everyone remember "Capcom Versus Whatever"? Well I thought it would be amusing to see how many worlds can be linked by their characters beating the crap out of each other in video games.

For starters, Capcom's Street Fighter, Final Fight, and Rival Schools share a world.

Marvel vs. Capcom brought in not only the Marvel Universe, but also Captain Commando, Darkstalkers, Megaman, Resident Evil, and Strider. Marvel vs. Capcom 3 had others like Devil May Cry.

Street Fighter x Tekken has SF characters fighting Tekken characters as they all pursue an unidentified object in Antarctica (there's no indication that the characters are meant to be from separate worlds, unlike the MvC series). Playstation versions have Megaman, Pac-Man, and Sony's mascot cats Toro and Kuro showing up.

The Sony cats, Dante, and Heihachi from Tekken also fight in this game. Note the characters from Metal Gear and God of War.

Now we must note that Tekken takes place in the future of the Soulcalibur world, as established by the presence of a Yoshimitsu in all the games. The Soulcalibur fighters have fought Link, Spawn, Darth Vader, Yoda, Ezio from Assassin's Creed, and... there's Kratos from God of War again.

Link of course has fought all the major Nintendo characters in Super Smash Bros., as well as Sonic the Hedgehog and Solid Snake from Metal Gear.

You know who else Solid Snake has fought? Everyone in this game. Like Optimus Prime.

I'm sure we could go on...

Comments

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    omg :O
  • It's like gaming's St. Elsewhere. 
  • Would bringing in MUGEN be cheating?
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

Would bringing in MUGEN be cheating?

Yes, so much.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Oh hey, Kratos is also in the newest Mortal Kombat, whose characters have crossed over to the DC Universe.
  • If we're counting mascot fighters, there's also Indie Brawl.  Which incidentally includes some characters who don't fight, too.
  • Sonic links to a whole lot of other things.

Sonic: The Fighters and Sonic Battle bring in pretty much the entire Sonic cast.

Sonic was also a bonus character in Fighting Vipers, which is a goldmine of connections.  Vipers crossed over with Virtua Fighter in Fighters Megamix.  It also had Pepsi Man for some fucking reason.  The Vipers character Bahn will be in Project X Zone, an upcoming 3DS game crossing over tons of Sega, Capcom, and Namco/Bandai games.

From Virtua Fighter, we can get connections to Dead or Alive 5 through Akira and a few others, and from there you get the entire Tecmo empire.

If you count wacky go-kart shenanigans, Sega All-Stars Racing brings in all kinds of obscure Sega mascots.
  • I'm surprised there's no Crash Bandicoot in the Playstation All-Stars lineup.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-10-27 00:41:05
    SNK Vs. Capcom has Ryo Sakazaki, which links in the entirety of Art of Fighting, King of Fighters, and Fatal Fury.

EDIT: If someone can find a way to link Tom & Jerry: Fists of Furry, you will get like a bajillion cookies.

Bee: Whoa.

All right, let's see if we can diagram this. I'll start:

DC >< Mortal Kombat >< Tekken ? Street Fighter/Final Fight/Resident Evil/Devil May Cry >< Marvel

>< is a portal between universes, - is a shared universe, ? is "I don't know".

SF/FF/RE/DMC's future is Captain Commando, then Megaman, Megaman X, and Megaman Legends. Arthur and Doggy Amaretsu are from its distant past. I don't know where Darkstalkers fits in.

Soulcalibur is set in Tekken's universe in the late 16th century. Maybe God of War took place here more tha 2000 years earlier. Apparently Hyrule has portals both to here and other Nintendo worlds.

We can figure out Sega and Tecmo connections if someone knows how the travel betwee worlds in Project X Zone works.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-10-27 01:14:45
    I'm curious to see what you consider to be Pepsi Man's universe.  Reality?  Pepsiverse?

Does Pepsi Man have a rivalry with Cool Spot?
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Marvel and DC have had crossovers in the comics, as well. 

Heck, even considering the comics gets pretty crazy, as there are then G1 Transformers crossovers, Star Trek crossovers, and probably a whole ton of other ones.
  • those are ok and all but where is our Eminem meets Archie comic

Also, I just remembered that the probably terrible now that I'm an adult Street Fighter cartoon was part of an ark where there was a character who crossed over into all the cartoons playing on USA (channel) at the time.

Which included, Mortal Kombat, Savage Dragon, and Wing Commander...
  • Oh yeah there was that weirdass Infestation crossover with like...Transformers, Ghostbusters, Star Trek, and G.I. Joe.

I think it was IDW too, so if they get frisky enough we might see ponies in there.
  • edited 2013-10-27 01:59:21
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Which would kinda include Image comics (I said to myself before the great Ninja bee struck), I guess, or at least the cartoons...

Though, I'm not sure if they bothered to establish if Savage Dragon cartoon was technically in the same universe as the other cartoons.

But you know who ELSE had an Image crossover?!

DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUUUN!

Good God, I am such a fucking nerd...

• edited 2013-10-27 02:07:12

Maybe Ponies are about the only thing except from the giant list, though the Hub kinda crossed over a ton of its shows in bumps. 

I wonder if any of those have been cross-overed elsewhere.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Skullgirls beats up everybody.

Heck, even considering the comics gets pretty crazy, as there are then G1 Transformers crossovers, Star Trek crossovers, and probably a whole ton of other ones.

Man, adding comics makes it so confusing. Like in Dream Mix TV, Transformers are celebrities in the same world as Konami and Hudson Soft heroes. In the comics and cartoons, G1 is a shared universe with GI Joe. And GI Joe's PT instructor is Sgt. Slaughter. Should we assume that WWE's kayfabe takes place in the world of GI Joe and Transformers?

Bee: I dunno, man, I just found out about him!

• Oh my God, you people are gigantic nerds.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

This means that hypothetically, one could pit the crew of the Starship Enterprise against the Cult of the Unwritten Book.

Wow. That's a thing.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Acererak said:

Oh my God, you people are gigantic nerds.

Oh no, we've been found out! :o

Arm the troops!

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    wait, Superman crossed with I Love Lucy in "Lucy and Superman"

which via a long chain of crossovers technically places all of this in the same universe as St Elsewhere

What is St. Elsewhere?
  • edited 2013-10-27 13:29:29

It's a medical drama if memory serves. 

Made sort of infamous by the ending in which it seems the show was simply the creation of an autistic child playing with a snow-globe. 

Also the MGM kitten dies at the end of the last episode, if I recall...

Edit:

There we go...

• What is St. Elsewhere?

A medical drama that famously ended by implying that the entire thing happened in the dreams of an autistic boy.  By crossovers, this implies a ridiculous number of other shows happened in the dreams of an autistic boy.  Including real life, as real life mayor Bloomberg has appeared in Law and Order, one of the crossed-over shows.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Fun fact: This idea was originally proposed by a guy pointing out how ridiculous it would be if other media took their continuity and universe as seriously as comics do.
    lololololol all of this entertainment is canonically the dream of an autistic child
    everything
  • edited 2013-10-27 14:26:52
    btw if you can loop in Gradius somehow

you can pick up Twinbee and Kid Dracula and a few other Konami series

as well as Parodius itself obviously

and Sky Girls

And if you can get Kid Dracula you automatically also get Castlevania
    ^ This game already has TwinBee with Simon Belmont and Solid Snake. Apparently they're celebrities in a world shared with G1 Transformers, Bomberman, Adventure Island, and the obscure fighting game Bloody Roar.
    Bee said:

SNK Vs. Capcom has Ryo Sakazaki, which links in the entirety of Art of Fighting, King of Fighters, and Fatal Fury.

Well, King of Fighters itself depicted Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Ikari Warriors, and Psycho Soldier as a shared world as far back as the original (KoF '94).

Man, you know what's been a huge missed opportunity? Werewolf by Night and Marvel's Dracula alongside Darkstalkers.

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Anime is the ties that bind us.
    ^ No.

Thank you,
  • edited 2013-10-27 17:18:55
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I looped Gradius, true story. :3
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
  • I was going to get in on this but I think Myr just killed it. #goodjobrlstineIFthatisyourrealname
  • Haven said:

I was going to get in on this but I think Myr just killed it. #goodjobrlstineIFthatisyourrealname

it's not.  that picture is clearly of richard bachman.
  • Anime is the ties that bind us.

Incidentally, I just found out about my school's Anime Club.

Thankfully, it's nothing like that one.
  • Why do dating sim games always have a protagonist with the same hairstyle and no eyes?  I'd think if you wanted to make a POV character for the player to self-insert, having a pair of fucking eyes would help.  At the very least with the V part.
  • Bee said:

Why do dating sim games always have a protagonist with the same hairstyle and no eyes?  I'd think if you wanted to make a POV character for the player to self-insert, having a pair of fucking eyes would help.  At the very least with the V part.

Well in suckyhime eyes are a plot point...
  • I'm just saying that given a guy with two eyes and a guy with no eyes, ceteris paribus, most people are more likely to have a vicarious experience through the one with eyes.
  • edited 2013-10-31 22:49:43
    "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

Ok, I checked out Project X Zone, and it clarifies a lot.

Street Fighter, Tekken, and Virtua Fighter characters inhabit the same present-day Earth, which is also the setting of the "zombie" games (Capcom's Resident Evil and Dead Rising, Sega's House of the Dead...) With the Virtua Fighters in Dead or Alive 5, add that and Ninja Gaiden to the setting.

Via its connection with Tekken, Soulcalibur is this world's late 16th century.

The Megaman timeline is a possible future that characters travel from. Xenosaga is a different future. There are a few others, like God Eater (present day characters are disturbed that this one has the apocalypse within their lifetimes).

Darkstalkers, Ghosts & Goblins, and the Ds from DMC are from a parallel "Demon World". And Sakura Wars is a parallel universe with steampunk mecha.

It's unclear whether God of War is a parallel universe or just 2000 years in Soulcalibur's past. Hyrule and Spawn's Earth are parallel universes that have crossed over via Soulcalibur. From Hyrule, Link can reach the rest of the Nintendo multiverse, Sonic's universe, and Metal Gear Earth. According to Dream Mix TV World Fighters, Solid Snake is a celebity in the same universe as Castlevania, Adventure Island, Bomberman, Transformers, etc. 

And the the Marvel universe is accessible from PxZ's present-day Earth, Kratos can get from its past to Mortal Kombat's universe, the DC universe is accessible from Mortal Kombat's, and DC and Marvel can cross over (in comic books). Whew!

omg
    so much negated canon because of that autistic kid
    :D
    Lucy's got some 'splainin' to do!