General Video Game Thread

Comments

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    aww :o
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    First two Zelda games are indeed challenging.

A Link to the Past has just the right difficultly level, in my opinion.

Ocarina of Time is generally easy apart from a few tricky spots.

Majora's Mask was pushing it a little, at least in the water temple place.

I stopped playing 'em after that

this has been my input
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Bunny said:

I am playing the Guild Wars 2

It is quite fun to run around and be a little thiefy thief
    In my opinion, thieves are the hardest profession to play.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i found the second Zelda the hardest

the others were moderately challenging for me; i kept getting stuck on the puzzles

i do suck at problem-solving and critical thought however
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-09-27 15:26:30
    Zelda II went beyond actual difficulty and well into just plain cheese.  Random encounters would often throw sequences of fireballs/bubbles that were impossible to dodge (sometimes over bottomless pits), fighting stuff like Darknuts was half blind luck, and enemies weren't paused during cutscenes so you could die while holding up new items.

There's a fine line between old-time difficulty and old-time still feeling out how to create a genre and sometimes whiffing it pretty badly.
  • edited 2013-09-27 15:31:33
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I always died when I went into Death Mountain on Zelda II. Always. I don't think I ever saw anything past that until years later, after I discovered emulators with Game Genie built in.

And if it wasn't Death Mountain, it was the damned temples. UGH.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I actually finished the game once. Amazingly.
    i never did finish it
  • I almost finished it once and am not keen enough to repeat the experience to try again.  Granted I'm almost 20 years older and would probably have a better shot at now, but still.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit

Bunny said:

I am playing the Guild Wars 2

It is quite fun to run around and be a little thiefy thief
    In my opinion, thieves are the hardest profession to play.
    They're pretty tough, yeah

I get a lot of flak for how much crazy damage thieves can do, but they're squishy as hell and their only real defense is stealth and evasion

Miss a dodge, you're dead, stealth incorrectly, you're dead, etc etc.

Also, using initiative properly can be pretty tough
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Personally I just try to stack as many skills that regenerate Initiative quickly as I can, using dual-daggers' Death Blossom to dodge. It doesn't always work, but it does at some point allow me to pull off some really hype stuff, like Blossoming just narrowly on to a railing, just one step shy of falling off and into the cliff.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I've been using Sword/x a lot lately

Sword's autoattack is powerful, the Shadowstep/Shadow Return you get on 2 is excellent, and both of the 3 skills you get are super awesome. One's a stun followed by an evade, the other's an evade followed by boon-stripping. The second one works wonders against guardians.
    So if anybody wants a Shadow Warrior 10% off and/or Devolver 75% off Steam Coupon, let me know.
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-10-12 19:10:30
    Sooooooo after having played a good portion of Fez, I think it's safe to say I really like it.

Ignoring the whole Fish nonsense, it's actually a pretty damn good game, and you can definitely tell that it's the end product of five years of work. It's a puzzle platformer, yeah, but it definitely breaks a lot of barriers that both genres seem fairly stuck in. 

Anyone played Far Cry 3? My brother and dad shared a playthrough of it, and the first thing that really floored them about it was the size of the game in general. I found myself feeling similarly about how big Fez was, though it came a bit later before I realized "jesus christ this game is big" than FC3 did. As a direct result of that, Fez has a massive exploration aspect as well-- the initial concept of "find the 32 cube shards" doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of how much there is to it, and that's one thing I think Fez has over basically any other platformer, even my beloved Rayman, which in Origins attempted to bring in the same sort of nonlinearity but it didn't last for very long and only came during the game's second half.

Fez is also pretty. Like, gorgeous. Both to look at and listen to. The day/night cycle, having each level appear as a layer behind the door that leads to that level, the Tetris tile constellations in the night sky, and the change in color scheme when you get to the sewers, for instance, are those subtle visual things that just make the experience better, and I'm glad Polytron paid attention to them. Disasterpeace's soundtrack is also A+ for how well it captures the mood of each level, with my personal favorite on it so far being Flow, from the aforementioned sewers.

eeeee what a great game

i might expand this into a review later on
  • I loved Fez.  Bonus points if you crack the natives' cipher and read all the dialogue from the cube at the beginning.  It's pretty funny.
  • Just out of interest, what exactly is the point of having female avatars to begin with if they're essentially just going to be slightly thinner versions of the males with higher voices?

I've been saying this forever. There is no fucking point as there is no difference visually. In fact if you made it realistic the females wouldn't be able to carry as much, do as much and would be slower at everything which involves muscle.

Dunno, different skill sets, possibly higher gains from health packs (women respond to endorphin better than men, thus med kits with pain reducers could show a slightly higher benefit). They could have higher focus (studies on female fighter pilots have shown they on average track more targets at once than males do). Lighter weight and lighter musculature could mean less gear, thus more applicable as subterfuge and stealth units. Higher flexibility in general means greater potential agility that can be use to move faster from cover to cover . Lower center of balance (when their chest isn't bouncing everywhere) also adds agility. Potential higher emotional maturity and empathy can assist moral and group cohesion. Women on average have better hearing than men, so playing as a woman may give exclusive cues to situations like a potential ambush. Women in general have better night vision and a higher capacity to see towards the red end of the light spectrum, so a game can be adapted visually to accommodate this ability. Women generally have better visual memory and can remember a higher number of details of their environment.

I can go on and on about this, and guys have their own set of particular talents (higher physical endurance, strength, stamina, durability, better body temperature regulation due to musculature having more arteries and veins, greater depth perception, higher spacial navigation capacity, etc.) So instead of trying to visually differentiate them, how about working in differences through gameplay?

A rare case of good comments from a kokatu article. 
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    "what's the point of female avatars" i dunno what's the point of women existing we could all just disappear so no one is left to put mouths on your wieners :3
    lol least feminist feminist comment i've posted here i think basically "bluh sexist thing male said but i would still fellate him maybe if he was like a sexy person which is 1 in 1000000000000000000000000 guys" and ok this conversation should end now sorry
    w/e

fellatio :)
  • ^^^^ And on the other side of the spectrum you have FATAL.
    omg FATAL
    time to dice roll for my completely realistic nipple hardness
    roll again, oh, I jizzed. 5 damage to mikos pants.
    Kotaku's a massive rag, or so I hear.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    Kotaku is one of the worst non-deep web sites.
    T. Hyperbole expert
  • Kotaku's a massive rag, or so I hear.

Kotaku's fine; it's the community that sucks.
  • A few bad articles does not a bad website make.
  • i've never heard a single good thing about kotaku
  • ^^A few? There's like 20 pictures there!
    Short games are fine. I like short games.

The rest are all dumb though.
  • edited 2013-10-15 01:42:59
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i didn't look at all the pictures but some of them are obviously flippant novelty articles

i mean 'Ass Effect' or random objects looking like GLaDOS mightn't be intelligent content, but they're clearly jokes
  • Polygon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kotaku
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Once again.

Thank you anime marxist.
    i had to repost that tweet

it is a thing of beauty
  • man who even does the neutral endings in smt games

i mean, the ENTIRE FIRST HALF of the game was about how much humanity was a greedy, lustful, and self-destructive lot and how demons were better. jack's squad pretty much confirmed that everything mentioned was true. you're given the option (in both law and chaos endings) to replace the human world with demons (this still happens in the law ending, angels are considered demons).

but you're going to go "Humanity, Fuck Yeah!" and IGNORE that? why would you do that
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Neutrality has always been about maintaining the status quo, and the inevitability of the vicious cycle.
    what about attachment to your own species and human society
  • Acererak said:

man who even does the neutral endings in smt games

i mean, the ENTIRE FIRST HALF of the game was about how much humanity was a greedy, lustful, and self-destructive lot and how demons were better. jack's squad pretty much confirmed that everything mentioned was true. you're given the option (in both law and chaos endings) to replace the human world with demons (this still happens in the law ending, angels are considered demons).

but you're going to go "Humanity, Fuck Yeah!" and IGNORE that? why would you do that
  • "Humanity is better than sterile perfection" is the point they're both going for, I think. I know that's the point of TWE at least.
  • It's sort of like asking "Why would anyone want a local coffee shop? Starbucks is better and cheaper?"
    i was going to dispute that analogy, but it's close enough
  • i was going to dispute that analogy, but it's close enough

Phew. I was worried someone would say something like "But Starbucks tastes terrible!"
    I would hold a grudge on the company but considering certain unusually generous clauses in their anti-discrimination policy and my own incompetence at anything that involves getting out of bed, I wouldn't even hold a grudge on the manager I interviewed with. I hold a grudge on myself because I am a wasted paper cup that tried to crawl out of its garbage can, but Starbucks is too clean to have garbage lying around.
  • Cutxerk said:

i was going to dispute that analogy, but it's close enough

Phew. I was worried someone would say something like "But Starbucks tastes terrible!"
    it's disputable because Starbucks is v. expensive.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    The announcer in Skullgirls sometimes says "This is true love we making" before a match. This is Good and I approve.
    Interplay of sex and violence and all that.

I hear there's going to be a female announcer too. That's going to be rad.