A ghost.

edited 2013-10-05 02:16:30 in General

Look at it.

It's a ghost.

In a Bioshock game.

A ghost.

Why is there a ghost in my Bioshock game. Ghosts belong to games like DOOM, Elder Scrolls, Devil May Cry, and...not Bioshock.

But no.

There is a ghost in my Bioshock game. Why is it there. It makes no sense for a ghost to be in a sci-fi game. 

At least WH40K was explicit with the "psykers = wizards" element of their game. The writers had to play around with quantum mechanics, instead of just calling it...a ghost.

It's a ghost.

Comments

• Cry more nerd.
  • What next, Pokemon in the next Splinter Cell?
  • A nerd is a person, typically described as being overly intellectual, obsessive, or socially impaired.
  • Why was there still a boss battle in this game?

I mean, don't they remember how awkward that was in Bioshock?

Oh yeah, and how the fuck did Booker and Elizabeth escape Rapture through the bathysphere? Wasn't that restricted to Andrew Ryan's genes post-New Year's? I mean, it's not like that was a plot point in the first game...
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    spoilers
  • I went out of my way to avoid spoilers: I didn't specify the boss battle, IIRC the Ryan's genes detail is given to you early in the game, and the only thing that can be inferred is that Booker and Elizabeth went to Rapture through a tear (and Elizabeth's abilities are a selling point, not a spoiler)
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDD
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    y'all a bunch of hypocrites
  • y'all a bunch of hypocrites

aren't we all?
  • LWLW
    edited 2013-10-05 22:03:01

Acererak,
    This is not meant as a challenge to your opinion or anything of the sort, but why do you feel that ghosts do not belong in sci-fi games? Do you just see them as being more fit for fantasy settings?
  • this proves that the Bioshock series is overrated and 2mainstream to be enjoyable

*puts on Binding of Isaac t-shirt, rides off in a car with "I <3 Indies" painted on the side*
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    what this proves is video games are an inferior form of media and can never truly be art :)
  • what this proves is video games are an inferior form of media and can never truly be art :)

see, this man is not a nerd

he undrstands
  • Ghost said:

Acererak,
    This is not meant as a challenge to your opinion or anything of the sort, but why do you feel that ghosts do not belong in sci-fi games? Do you just see them as being more fit for fantasy settings?

Because they're...fucking ghosts! Do you put elves in BSG?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Heaven forbid anyone deviate from a strictly structured genre plan.
  • Acererak said:

Ghost said:

Acererak,

Because they're...fucking ghosts! Do you put elves in BSG?
    no, you put angels in BSG.  Which sucked, because they ran out of ideas and had to put in dumb shit like "Starbuck is an angel".
  • edited 2013-10-05 22:53:24
    See, you're talking but all I hear is "wah wah poop butt I need mommie I am a baby."
  • edited 2013-10-05 23:05:00
    (flower path)
    Also, Battlestar Galactica didn't have elves, but Star Trek did, they just called them Vulcans.

Which is really what most sci-fi franchises do when they want to add things like ghosts: they wrap it in a nice layer of technobabble, usually about "energy".

(EDIT: The original content here was really egging on.  I changed my mind about keeping it.)
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Cutxerk said:

See, you're talking but all I hear is "wah wah poop butt I need mommie I am a baby."

(Mod Hat On)

How about no?

(Mod Hat Off)
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I thought that he was joking...?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    It did get flagged, and it did appear a mite more insulting than some of the other stuff in here...
  • OK, fine. I'll explain why I have a problem with the Siren.

I don't have a problem with impossible things happening. There's already loads of that in Infinite. Hell, the setting is Alabama meets the Kingdom of Zeal. But while it's true that the Siren was impossible (and there is nothing wrong with that), the Siren wasn't cohesive.

One of Rapture's advantages over Columbia was that it was cohesive. Everything fit together. Everything, from the plasmids to the Big Daddies to the guy spewing Ayn Rand bullshit over the mic, made sense when placed in the context of the game. Most of those things are impossible, and would make no sense in real life. So what? What counts is that it made sense in-game.

Columbia isn't like that. For example, the vigors are there, but no-one seems to be using them. Sure, there are the firemen and the Ravens, but that's basically it. There are these superpowers lying around for basically anyone and everyone to use, but very few people actually use them! In Rapture, everything made sense. Plasmids were a big deal. They were a major part of why Rapture ended up as the shithole Jack visits in Bioshock. 

But compared to the Siren, vigors almost seem excusable.

The Siren is a fucking ghost. It is literally pulled out of Comstock's ass in the middle of the game. They're not even trying to be subtle, are they? It makes no sense in the context of the game. In other words, it's an eyesore. 

I get that Infinite tried to do something different than Bioshock (because doing the same thing didn't work out well in 2), but I think that some elements needed to be retained.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Acererak said:

OK, fine. I'll explain why I have a problem with the Siren.

I don't have a problem with impossible things happening. There's already loads of that in Infinite. Hell, the setting is Alabama meets the Kingdom of Zeal. But while it's true that the Siren was impossible (and there is nothing wrong with that), the Siren wasn't cohesive.

One of Rapture's advantages over Columbia was that it was cohesive. Everything fit together. Everything, from the plasmids to the Big Daddies to the guy spewing Ayn Rand bullshit over the mic, made sense when placed in the context of the game. Most of those things are impossible, and would make no sense in real life. So what? What counts is that it made sense in-game.

Columbia isn't like that. For example, the vigors are there, but no-one seems to be using them. Sure, there are the firemen and the Ravens, but that's basically it. There are these superpowers lying around for basically anyone and everyone to use, but very few people actually use them! In Rapture, everything made sense. Plasmids were a big deal. They were a major part of why Rapture ended up as the shithole Jack visits in Bioshock. 

But compared to the Siren, vigors almost seem excusable.

The Siren is a fucking ghost. It is literally pulled out of Comstock's ass in the middle of the game. They're not even trying to be subtle, are they? It makes no sense in the context of the game. In other words, it's an eyesore. 

I get that Infinite tried to do something different than Bioshock (because doing the same thing didn't work out well in 2), but I think that some elements needed to be retained.
    Vigors are pretty clearly out of the paygrade for the average citizen, and it's mentioned at the start that they're rather unstable anyway.
  • There was a ghost in the original Bioshock. Andrew's squeeze in that shady bar.

I mean, it's technically a science ghost produced by the memories left inside ADAM. Probably. But still, ghost.
  • ^^ Then why don't the Founders or the Vox seem to use them? The Founders are rich and powerful enough to acquire them, and it's not like they care about what would happen to their bodies (Vigors don't seem to deteriorate the mind, and Comstock is dying anyway), and I'd imagine that Daisy Fitzroy would encounter them at some point during her bloody rebellion.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
  • The whole ghost thing is because quantum reality shit. Assuming you beat it, it's a version of Elizabeth's "mother" that she imagined, and probably did exist in some other reality.

For fuck's sake, the first Bioshock and System Shock 2 had ghosts. Yeah, you didn't fight them, but they sure as hell existed there.
  • lol, quantum
  • edited 2013-10-07 19:45:12
    I am a vampire and I heard that a ghost
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • how does that he do iwth clothes on?