RWBY: Dorks with weapons, the show

2»

Comments

• RWBY 9: Weiss Schnee's mounting frustration towards...everything.
  • edited 2013-09-12 21:23:32
    (flower path)
    Yeah, that's why the song in the White trailer's pleading to a mirror.

Monty Oum is not a subtle man.

And don't get me started on Jaune Arc...
  • who uses balisongs here
  • edited 2013-09-19 20:01:06
    (flower path)
    So RWBY 10.

Man, the character interactions in this one feel really weird.  Weiss is switching back to being nice way too fast, really.

also truth:
  • So I watched all the episodes just now

Good show, definitely impressive given the budget. The fight sequences are fantastic (which is to be expected, given Monty Oum's pedigree) and the characters themselves are pretty fun.

I think episode 8 was probably my favorite so far, though I did enjoy tonight's with Weiss finally starting to warm up to Ruby.
  • Yeah, I guess some series like these need some episodes to explore character relations.

I'm talking about Ep. 10, here, but still.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Okay I call bullshit. You can definitely fit four beds in that room without resorting to bunk-beds. Bunk-beds are dangerous. The beds need to be one-third smaller and the shelves need to be higher.
  • Yeah, I guess some series like these need some episodes to explore character relations.

I'm talking about Ep. 10, here, but still.

The biggest problem I've been having, really, is that the pacing is so off.  It's like they're trying to treat this as a cour of anime when the amount of time they have set up is closer to a movie.
  • ...Shit, yeah, it does follow more like a movie. It does try to have a story structure like some other action-oriented animes, but yeah, it is paced more like a movie when I think about it. Just string the episodes into one big chunk and it probably flows smoothly.
  • It did, when I watched it together.

Generally binging it seems to be a better fit anyway, no doubt due to the episodes' short length. I'll try to keep up with the show as it airs now though, I think.
  • RocketRunner said:...Shit, yeah, it does follow more like a movie. It does try to have a story structure like some other action-oriented animes, but yeah, it is paced more like a movie when I think about it. Just string the episodes into one big chunk and it probably flows smoothly.

Actually, my complaint is that it
    isn't paced more like a movie.  Also, there are the twelve-minute episodes that mostly get broken in two.
  • The current trend is more like bursts of character development and other stuff.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    There is now cross-over fan fiction of this on the MLP fan fiction site.

This amuses me.
  • I really don't see how MLP can be crossed with any other series that has even a remotely serious premise.

Fun fact: Fallout: Equestria is arguably one of the most popular fan-fics.
  • ...I made a mistake.  Nothing can stop sufficiently dedicated crossover fanfic writers.

Pretty much, yeah.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    See it's easy. Ponies are used as mounts for everybody. They choose their rider and have a deep emotional relationship with them.

Ponyriders of Pern.
  • Fun fact: Fallout: Equestria is arguably one of the most popular fan-fics.

how actually serious is it
  • spinor said:

Fun fact: Fallout: Equestria is arguably one of the most popular fan-fics.

how actually serious is it
    much rape and death
  • I'm sad that I can't find any RWBY Youtube Poop.
  • See it's easy. Ponies are used as mounts for everybody. They choose their rider and have a deep emotional relationship with them.

Ponyriders of Pern.
    Ooh, don't forget that both Pern and MLP have loads of Mary Sues!
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

I'm sad that I can't find any RWBY Youtube Poop.

You must make some, then. :3
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    so i guess i'm watching this now

first episode was good, not a fan of the art style/animation but otherwise i enjoyed it
  • I really don't see how MLP can be crossed with any other series that has even a remotely serious premise.

Hey, I'm the guy who once thought about what Mobile Suits the characters would pilot.
  • edited 2014-01-24 06:50:08

So Miko got me and Section to marathon the first season - nice little romp all around. Plot and writing is corny, animation and voice acting verges on campy - yeah, whatevs, I was entertained and I liked the characters 
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looking forward to see where the second season's gonna go.
  • edited 2014-01-24 07:48:44
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i posted like a mini review of this in the heap a while back, lemme find it

edit: here
    Tachyon said:

elaboration of my thoughts regarding RWBY

pros:

• the fight choreography is definitely the main one, and is the aspect where the show really shines
    • gorgeous outfits
    • badass weapons
    • interesting and creative worldbuilding
    • a compelling story arc
    • interesting character dynamics
    • enjoyable soundtrack, including memorable songs and fitting score (the favouring of score over stock music is impressive, and a big plus)

cons:

• art style isn't very attractive
    • outside action sequences, animation is poor
    • individual episode storylines are nothing special (they have a Saturday morning cartoon feel)
    • humour is unexceptional, mostly consists of uncreative gags
    • awkward attempts at Yang fanservice, as contrived as they are painfully transparent
    • pacing feels 'off' for a webseries; this is hard to explain but it's like they tried to cram in a full length TV season in the space of a series of short webisodes
    • for an alleged main character, Blake feels under-used and under-developed, tho they do have reasons for not making her more prominent earlier on

for the most part, the pros are decidedly above average by webseries standards

the cons fall into two categories, those that appear to be the result of ambition exceeding budget, and those that appear to derive from uncritical attempts to mimic anime conventions without considering whether said conventions are worth imitating

• edited 2014-01-24 17:07:51

Yeah, I think I could forgive most of that because I viewed the show as if it was a high-quality series from Newgrounds or something - which doesn't sound much like a point in its favor, I know, but I pretty much grew up on that site, so the show did manage to give off a lot of charm on me.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    *high fives* :3
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ yeah, same here

overall i enjoyed it
  • edited 2014-01-25 12:20:54
    Overall I enjoyed it, but I haven't developed an emotional attachment to the series.

For some reason, the soundtrack hasn't stood out to me, despite my usually going on about soundtracks.

The fight scenes are the coolest part, but as someone who enjoys the downtime moments as well, some of those were lacking.

And someone has observed the conspicuous lack of shadows.

The story seems to be nothing special -- running with cliches because they work.  Which is honestly not a problem in my book; there's a reason they work, and that's because they tend to be emotively strong or dovetail with expectations etc..

Looking forward to the next chapter.

> compelling story arc
    i c wat u did thar
    I got really angry when they made Sun Wukong white. Or something that looks similar to white.

Or just using the name Sun Wukong to refer to their stupid trickster character.
  • edited 2014-01-26 01:54:35
    Are you willing to elaborate, Kraken?

FWIW, if a Chinese writer named an East Asian character Beowolf, Roland or Finn McCool, that wouldn't bother me... not sure whether that's equivalent.

i c wat u did thar

i'm sure i don't. i'm saying the story legitimately hooked me, enough that i'm interested in what comes next.
  • One of the characters is named Jaune Arc.
  • edited 2014-01-26 02:55:15
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Well I guess I have different standards as to what ethnicity a character is going to be. That part is subjective. 

But I can explain why I hate that any old trickster is called "Sun Wukong."

The heart of Journey to the West is the idea that the whole world is corrupt. The gods are corrupt, the common people are corrupt, the demons are corrupt, everything. And they're corrupt because they are attached, and being attached causes others to be more attached, and this makes a destructive-creative cycle of pain and suffering. It doesn't make the world evil, just not a good place to live. 

The gods live way up there in heaven, heedless to the causes of the antigods or the suffering of the people. They listen to wonderful music, they drink fine wine, they feast on celestial peaches. They are - in all senses of the world - the kings of the world. But they are not immortal, not permanent, and certainly not free. The gods are still attached to the world by their lusts and desires.

Sun Wukong is nobody. He's a monkey born from a stone that raised an army, who allied with other beasts and became some manner of chief. He has no background, no lineage, and had no references. 

Heaven tried to pacify him by giving him a rank and title, but it was the lowest rank and the lowest title. And then when he complained, they gave Sun Wukong a slightly higher title, but left him out of a feast that invited all of the gods and goddesses, showing that even the greatest gods of heaven cannot keep their word or their promises when it injures their pride.

Why wouldn't he cause an uproar in heaven? He's a monkey, they do that, and what more you guys were dicks. Sure, Sun Wukong may have acted selfishly, but his actions shattered the idea of the invincibility of the gods, humbling heaven. In this way, Sun Wukong teaches us that to question all authorities, that nothing is unassailable, unbeatable.

Ultimately, my problem is equating Sun Wukong's sacred, spiritual rebellion with the sort of revolt that you see in RWBY; what was once a fight for equal rights just becomes an excuse to deal retribution.
  • edited 2014-01-26 04:45:37
    Ah.  In that case i can certainly understand.

@ Glenn: Oh, right, heh.

i can't say i find Jaune himself particularly compelling.
  • edited 2014-01-26 04:59:07
    I can see that already.  And me neither.
  • edited 2014-01-26 10:13:05
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Jaune is terrible and the less we see of him, the better.

Also I'm not sure if you folks noticed this, but the theory goes that since Team RWBY are fairy-tale maidens (Red Riding Hood, Snow White, Beauty [and the Beast] Goldilocks), Team JNPR are historical transvestites (Joan of Arc, Thor [getting married to the frost giant as Freya], Achilles [hiding from the Trojan War by dressing as a woman], and Mulan).
  • edited 2015-10-23 18:35:08
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm not sure if anyone here cares anymore other than me and Edlyn, but RWBY Volume 3 is premiering tomorrow.