New Daft Punk song

edited 2013-05-17 00:43:18 in General Media
I'm staying up late to have sex with a girl who is also staying up late to have sex with me.

Repeat a bunch of times.

The end.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    it's a fine idea for a song, I don't see what the problem is
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    It's boring? And overdone? And sort of just that idea with esoteric lyrics attached to it? And maybe no one would actually care about the song if it was made by some unknown artist and not Daft Punk?
    well I'd have to give it a listen
  • edited 2013-05-17 01:05:09
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Ah ha! You tried to trick me into finding the song on youtube and posting it! Nice TRY!

*flees out the nearest closed window*
    um...bye
  • Justice42 said:

I'm staying up late to have sex with a girl who is also staying up late to have sex with me.

Repeat a bunch of times.

The end.
    same as pretty much any house tune with lyrics?
  • Justice42 said:

And maybe no one would actually care about the song if it was made by some unknown artist and not Daft Punk?

i probably would've still liked it
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Naney said:

Justice42 said:

Repeat a bunch of times.

The end.
    same as pretty much any house tune with lyrics?
    Does acid house count? Because that would throw things somewhat out of whack...
  • depends, are we talking about like early stuff or that more poppy stuff that came out of england a bit later
  • Also Resident Advisor has considered this album not even worth reviewing.

Anyways TECHNO IS SUPERIOR TO HOUSE NYEEEEEHHHHHHH

• although they did give Get Lucky 4 & 1/2 stars?

maybe the review for the full album is forthcoming

although usually they're pretty good about getting reviews out on time.
  • edited 2013-05-17 08:56:55
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Naney said:

depends, are we talking about like early stuff or that more poppy stuff that came out of england a bit later

All of it, because that gives me an excuse to post Psychic TV's "Bliss" and be supremely pretentious.

Although strictly speaking that's pretty early. Hm...
  • oh ok then feel free to post it
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Yay!

I think this song might be cheating in the lyrics department, though; it's literally just a series of (quasi-)random repeated lines.
  • oh my god those rave-y keys + Genesis's bored disinterested voice.
  • which reminds me

• edited 2013-05-17 09:19:27
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ "Look at that picture..."

Everything clashes, yet everything works because of that.

^ Perc and Chris Carter...? Fun.
  • i guess i will have to listen to this track

Pretty solid.
  • edited 2013-05-17 10:21:11
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I actually really like "Get Lucky" too. That's probably because I'm a sucker for good electrofunk. I still need to listen to the new album in full, but if it follows in the footsteps of this song, I think I'll be able to dig it. 
  • Justice42 said:

Repeat a bunch of times.

The end.
    >Complaining about repetitive lyrics on a Daft Punk song

The subject matter is also done to death. 
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I just like the "Like the legend of the phoenix" part.
  • Justice42 said:

The subject matter is also done to death. 

>Complaining about songs about sex
  • Yeah, I really don't have much of anything to say here.

For as long as music will exist there will be songs about sex.

And frankly, it's Daft Punk, so the lyrics aren't exactly top priority, y'know?

Yes, your right, if a popular band puts out an uninspired song that also does not deviate from their standard pattern of song creation we, the music loving public, should eat it up like candy.

• this song would be better as an instrumental.
  • edited 2013-08-26 17:55:26
    ^^Well, that was needlessly hostile.

Get Lucky doesn't sound a thing like anything else Daft Punk has created, at least not any of what I heard. And I wouldn't really say Daft Punk has a standard pattern of song creation.

Or maybe spice up the chorus a bit.
  • chorus

chorus

chorus

Kexruct said:

You're responding to an argument by attacking pieces of it with memes. You're not exactly asking for a respectful response here.
  • Justice42 said:

Kexruct said:

You're responding to an argument by attacking pieces of it with memes. You're not exactly asking for a respectful response here.
    It was intended to be a joke. Sorry if it seemed dismissive.
  • edited 2013-08-26 21:20:55
    (flower path)
    You know, this song seems alright, but it honestly seems like it'd be better if the voices were more robotic Daft Punk style, i.e. if they had been less experimental with it all.

But then, I rarely have particularly high opinion of musical lyrics in general.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    What about Electroma.

Everyone loves Electroma.
  • I actually haven't seen Electroma.

Or Interstella 5555, though I do have it. I'll watch both sometime.
  • edited 2013-08-27 15:39:02

So, on further reflection and much listening to the song over and over again courtesy of the radio:

I actually like the esoteric lyrics, but the chorus kind of reduces anything interesting or thought provoking about the song to "by the way, we're just talking about sex." Contrast with "One More Time" which is even MORE repetitive, but the song has a little more utility given that it was useful in Interstella 5555 as a sort of "party track" and there are versions where the tempo is slowed way down and it becomes rather romantic.

I also agree with spinor, here. The Robotic stuff feels sort of tacked on towards the end of the song like it kinda dawned on people they where making a Daft Punk song so we better sprinkle in some "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" to appease people.

There's probably a remix out there or coming that I'll really like of this song, but what's on the radio has this sort of strange manufactured to please everyone vibe that's rubbing me the wrong way.
  • edited 2013-08-27 16:38:19
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I always thought that Daft Punk makes music with parties in mind. They say they don't show their faces because it's more about the whole "concert" experience than about themselves.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
  • edited 2013-08-27 17:35:04

This is entirely TOO much robot. 

Also kinda of sounds like:

• complaining that a song is about sex and has a chorus which is repetitive is kinda like saying 'hey look! i can apply the hero's journey to this work of fiction! how uninspired is that?? god its so terrible'

Thank you for a comment that would have been relevant 3 months ago.

To be less cryptic. 

It's not just that the song is repetitive or that it's about sex. It's that I felt it was a little pedestrian for the amount of attention it got and maybe that had something to do with the artist.

Then we got into a bit more detail further down the thread.

In closing, it would be nice if a thread has something like a couple dozen posts that people do more than read the op before typing a comment.
  • Better.
    Justice42 said:

To be less cryptic. 

It's not just that the song is repetitive or that it's about sex. It's that I felt it was a little pedestrian for the amount of attention it got and maybe that had something to do with the artist.

Then we got into a bit more detail further down the thread.

In closing, it would be nice if a thread has something like a couple dozen posts that people do more than read the op before typing a comment.
    steady your pineapples, friend.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    The more they play that song on the radio at work, the more I dislike it. It doesn't help that the radio invariably cuts off the part with the guitar solo and the robot vocals. You know, the good part.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Spinor: That is the best cover in the world.

spinor said:

I laughed.

MetaFour said:

The more they play that song on the radio at work, the more I dislike it. It doesn't help that the radio invariably cuts off the part with the guitar solo and the robot vocals. You know, the good part.

Ulg, as much as I complained that that part felt tacked on, the song certainly would be worse without it.