What games do you feel nostalgic for?

edited 2013-07-17 04:01:21 in General Media

Wow, that's an awkward title.

Anyway.

After watching the most recent episode of Extra Credits- which I'd post here if the browser I was currently using would allow me to copy and paste- on why people keep going back to retro games, I started to think about what games I always go back to, which games are my "comfort food" so to speak. The ones I usually come up with are pretty much any game in the Zelda series, (Particularly the first one, ALttP, OoT, MM, and WW. The fact that three of these are from the Zelda Collector's Edition is not a coincidence.) the original Kingdom Hearts (admittedly one I haven't played in a while, but every time I see it I start tearing up) and Morrowind (ditto). How about you guys?

Comments

• I've always had a soft spot for the SSX series, it reminds me of my childhood when I didn't like racing but loved just riding around doing ridiculous stunts.

Same with the Midnight Club games, particularly the 2nd one.

(Rayman'll be here for sure too. Just give the series a bit of time, I can feel it.)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse

SimCity 2000 (even though I was never good at it)

Crash Bandicoot: Warped
  • Off the top of my head:

Dragon quest I-V, but especially I, III (the GBA remake of III to be specific) and V.
    FF6 & FF9
    Mega Man X 1-3
    Dragon Warrior Monsters
    Metal Gear Solid
    Kingdom Hearts 1

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Spacewar.
  • edited 2013-07-17 05:54:54
    I grew up on platformers and I still play platformers.

If I want something quick I'll play some Mega man 4, 5, or 6, or Spelunky, or Eversion, or whatever.  Secondarily there's always Adventure Island, Kid Niki, Street Fighter x Mega Man (or any number of other Mega Man fangames), Duck Tales, Yoshi's Island, Castlevania Dracula XX, Syobon Action...the list goes on and on.

If I want some quick combat action I'll boot up my save file in Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and go fight the next-to-last boss again.  Other save files in other games also work.

If I want an epic adventure, there's always Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance or Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia or Cave Story or Metroid Fusion or Super Metroid or Fortune Summoners.  And if I want epic building adventure, there's always Terraria.

Y'know, just give me a character I can control with the arrow keys, and give me a jump button and an attack button, and I'll be pretty happy.  Bonus points if the physics is intuitive (rather than realistic) and lets the character be really nimble.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Riven and Jewels of the Oracle, because I was one nerdy kid with no hand-eye coordination.
  • edited 2013-07-17 11:00:22
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    MEGA MAN :O so much Mega Man, but especially original, X, Zero, and ZX Mega Man. I can beat all of them in like an hour or two and they never stop being fun. The Zero series is the best platformer ever because it is perfect and convincing me otherwise will be difficult. :)

Aside from that I used to love collect-a-thons (Spyro and Banjo-Kazooie :D ) and 2D platformers like Metroid and Castlevania and Sonic. I got tired of jrpgs but I had a great time with Final Fantasy and a few similar games. At one point I liked Zelda a lot; A Link to the Past continues to be one of my favorite games. Currently I love playing shmups and Touhou is my favorite. :)

ummmmm my favoritest game is Yume Nikki because it is beautiful and perfect and it understands me and many shut-ins like me.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Any of the early Super Marios, with World being my fave

Zelda: the original, ALTTP, Ocarina

Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles, CD

Super Mario Kart. The original, accept no substitutes
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    A fair number of PS1 games. The Spyro and Crash series were excellent, and I have a soft spot for the Gex series as well.

In addition, younger me liked a whole bunch of genesis games like the Sonic Series, Biohazard Battle, Rocket Knight Adventures...

...Really, just a whole lot of Genesis, SNES, and PS1 games.
  • hmm

Sonic Adventure, Hydro Thunder, the first Halo game, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Mech Commander 2, Warcraft III, Mech Assault, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, Civilization III, and Brute Force all come to mind.

I feel compelled to explain that Brute Force was a failed Third Person Shooter trilogy which included such awesomeness as dinosaur men with laser disc guns and the multiplayer had like a dozen different characters you could play as. It was rad.

Panzer Dragoon Orta was the last entry in the Panzer Dragoon series, which was a bunch of rail shooters known for their awesome worldbuilding and aesthetics. 

This is all either Xbox stuff, Dreamcast stuff, or PC stuff. ftr.

• edited 2013-07-17 17:36:54
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Oh, another one that I totally forgot: SimCity. Easily one of my favourite games as a kid, computer/video or otherwise.

I liked building things
  • edited 2013-07-17 18:11:57
    > Super Mario Kart. The original, accept no substitutes

HELL YEAH

Also, I forgot Gunstar Heroes, as far as cool platforming action games go.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Super Mario 1, 2 and World (we couldn't afford 3 when it came out), NES Tetris, practically every game we had for the SNES but particularly Final Fantasy 6, Link to the Past and SimCity. Doom (really) and most of the shareware games we had in the computer lab junior and senior year (Jill of the Jungle, Tank Wars, Scorched Earth, even one or two of the Commander Keens).
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

Super Mario All-Stars, World, and Kart.

Zelda: Link to the Past.

Super Metroid and Super Castlevania.

Street Fighter.

Civilization 2.

• I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Quest 64 and Super Smash Bros.(n64)

I just fixed me VCR/DVD combo so I can use it. Which means I can watch videos, or record DVR's of my game playthroughs. And put them online...

Besides that, played some SSB64 at a gaming place in my city. 6 battles, where we all used the total of 12 characters(no repeats). I won most of them, but he was clearly out of practice with the 64 version, so it might've gone slightly differently if he wasn't. I had to tell him the controls to say the least. Either way, it was great fun. :)
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Oh, and of course Oregon Trail!
    Who could forget dying of dysentery?

I wish to add the original Star Fox and also Doom 1 & 2 to my list and also Kirby's Adventure.
  • edited 2013-07-18 16:07:07
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Professor Oak: GO TO THE ELF'S WORLD WELCOME! EVERYONE CALL ME ELF MONSTER

ONE DAY I WILL LET YOU KNOW I'M THE STRONGEST COACH, THE FELLOWS WILL CONSORT WITH ME. LISTEN, ONE DAY I WILL BEAT YOU DOWN, AND LET YOU KNOW MY STRENGTH.

Silver: (when meeting you in the Burnt Tower) "I HEARD YOU WERE SLEEPING THERE."
    Silver: (after following you in the Team Rocket HQ) "YES, OUR LOVE MUST BECOME STRENGTH."

• Falkner: THEY [bird Pokemon] WERE FLUTTERING
      IN THE SKY, MAKING THE SKY MAGNIFICENT. I LET THE WORLDLY PEOPLE
      UNDERSTAND THEIR GRANDNESS!
    • Route Toll Attendant: WHO IS IT TO THE END? WHY TO MAKE THE THING?
    • Olivine City Citizen: THE SEA IS VERY GOOD. THE SETTING SUN IS BEAUTIFUL! THE SEA IS WIDE. VERY...VERY WIDE!
    • Route 14 NPC: THE COMBITION OF GOLD TURTOISE, MAN SHADOW, AND UNTHINKABLE KIND IS SURELY BALANCED.
    • Route 3 Trainer: I AM THE SON OF WIND, THE CHILD OF SPIRIT.

That game.

imageimage

You know, I have two real Apple IIs at home...I should boot one up and play Oregon Trail on it sometime.
  • edited 2013-07-18 17:54:12
    Incidentally I just played Organ Trail twice.  It's a zombie-apocalypse-themed homage to Organ Trail.
  • It seemed pretty straightforward to me.  And I haven't even played Oregon Trail before.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    RPGs and Platformers.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics.

Probably Baldur's Gate, but I should just get around to playing the Enhanced edition...

I played the HELL out of the Sonic genesis games, though I'm not sure I feel a strong desire to play them again oddly enough.

The music from Sonic the Hedgehog reminds me really strongly of Charlottesville, probably because my mom's best friend's son was the only person I knew who had a Genesis, and they lived there.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    I am nostalgic for Baldur's Gate and old Sonic games.

I did enjoy the music from the Sonic games and much of it is imprinted on my brain.
  • Baldur's Gate, Daggerfall, Dungeon Keeper and Heroes of Might and Magic III. Never actually played through any of them (though I did get rather far in Baldur's Gate), yet they were a formative influence during my childhood years.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    yay Daggerfall :)
  • Diablo II was also a formative game of mine.

99% of the reason I (or indeed many people) liked Path of Exile and the Torchlight series is that they're basically Diablo but a little bit different (the former is less similar).

Of man, Tie Fighter collector CD-Rom, MAD nostalgia for that one.
  • Miko said:

yay Daggerfall :)

I thought you said you haven't played anything in the Elder Scrolls series?
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    what no
  • Do you mean "no" as in you haven't played it or "no" as in you never said that?
    no like I never said that and also I played like every game in the history of ever, except some :)
  • Oh. Which Elder Scrolls games haven't you played?
  • I get nostalgic for Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country, due to going over to my friend's house across the street after school and on weekends and having marathon game sessions of them.
  • edited 2013-07-27 14:48:23
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Oh. Which Elder Scrolls games haven't you played?
    Morrowind!
    Fun fact: Miyamoto disliked Donkey Kong country and said it proved that people would like a mediocre game with good graphics; when Nintendo encouraged him to imitate its graphics, he developed the Yoshi's Island visual style instead. I think in recent years, Miyamoto appreciates DKC more.
  • Miko said:

Oh. Which Elder Scrolls games haven't you played?
    Morrowind!

So you've played Oblivion and Skyrim? That's kind of surprising, honestly.
    I like being a tiger and running around fantasy land and jumping on stuff and stealing things and chopping up mean people and shooting fire and swimming and also being a gangsta :3
  • Dunmer are da bes.

VRiska: oh I remember marathoning DKC too!V
    I thought Donkey Kong Country was kind of overrated, but it's good.

Yoshi's Island is great for reals
  • DKC is decent; what really makes it great is less the graphics but more the humor -- which is presented graphically, animationally, and musically.

DKC2 is better than DKC.

Yoshi's Island is a top-rated game in my book.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Metroid Fusion, Kirby, and a robot game I can't remember. Like glennmagusharvey, I quite enjoy platformers.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Morrowind was great, Oblivion was alright, and Skyrim was mediocre.
  • Oh, right, I like Oblivion, too.

To be honest, Morrowind had terrible combat. If it had Oblivion's combat (and possibly co-op multiplayer,) it'd be the best thing.