Steam Summer Sale

edited 2013-07-11 14:06:04 in General Media
GOLDEN RULE: DO NOT BUY A GAME UNLESS IT IS A DAILY DEAL, A FLASH SALE, OR THE LAST DAY OF THE SALE.

Ladies and gentlemen and others, start your wallets!

Yes, it's time again for the Steam Summer Sale, the all consuming gaming black hole.

What is the Steam Summer Sale?

The Steam Summer Sale is one of two major annual sales that Steam holds, alongside the Steam Christmas Sale. One of the biggest gaming sales of the year, nearly every game in the Steam catalogue is discounted. For each day of the sale (11-22 this year), a variety of games are discounted even further, either through Daily Deals, a 24 hour event, or Flash Sales, an 8 hour event.

Why did you make this thread?

To avoid clogging the general games thread, mostly.

CURRENT DEALS:

* Daily Deals

Antichamber: 66% off
Bioshock Infinite: 50% off
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger: 33% off
Defiance: 66% off
Don't Starve: 40% off
Endless Space: 66% off
Hotline Miami: 75% off
Left 4 Dead 2: 75% off
Scribblenauts Unlimited: 75% off
Toki Tori 2: 34% off

* Flash Sales

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive: 66% off
Dragon Age: Unlimited Edition: 70% off
GRID 2: 40% off
Skyrim: Legendary Edition: 40% off

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Bad Rats
  • The Cave, which is from the same people who made Psychonauts, is on sale for $3.50. If you're a fan of the latter, I suggest you grab it.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to snatch up Dragonborn while it's at $10. On the one hand, that thing's been in my wishlist for months now, and I only have 6 hours to decide on this. On the other hand, it's three dollars above my 'have-to-buy' line, I don't have a clear view of my finances right now, and I've become progressively less interested in Skyrim as of late.
  • Yarrun's Advice: if a game is below $5 or at 75% off and below $10, buy it.

The former will only get $2 or $3 lower and the latter is unlikely to be discounted anymore.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Never buy anything for more than 35 dollars.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    So you're going to play all these games on a $35 computer?
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    A 35 dollar computer would be better than La Computadora.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I'm probably gonna get Antichamber because it looks really cool. :)
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    * Flash Sales

Civilization V: 75% off
    Duke Nukem 3D: 66% off
    Football Manager 2013: 75% off
    Little Inferno: 75% off
    Saint's Row The Third (Community's Choice): 75% off
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Obligatory:

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is a fine game. 

You folks should play it.
    * Daily Deals

Anno 2070: 50% off
    Call of Duty: Black Ops II: 50% off
    Chivalry: Medieval Warfare: 75% off
    Darksiders II: 80% off
    Fez: 50% off
    FTL: Faster Than Light: 75% off
    Just Cause 2: 80% off
    Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2: 85% off
    Surgeon Simulator 2013: 66% off
    The Walking Dead: 75% off

* Flash Sales

BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien: 50% off
    Far Cry 3: 40% off
    Grand Theft Auto IV (Community's Choice): 75% off
    Legend of Grimrock: 75% off
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown: 75% off

The Walking Dead, FTL, Legend of Grimrock, XCOM, and Just Cause 2 are all excellent games.
  • So, I did some digging and as it turns out Psychonauts is only $2.49 for the entire Summer Sale, as is Thomas Was Alone! I worked for some PayPal money earlier today and already bought Psychonauts on the pretense that I'm already pretty convinced on its greatness. I'm leaning strongly toward buying TWA as well just for the hell of it.

Thank you, based Gaben.
  • extra advice -- only buy things you actually want. I see people go all "mom in a grocery store" over Steam sales and they end up buying six dozen games they never play. 

• Waiting for CKII expansion to go on sale. :T

Though I might want to get Bastion, since it's always seemed interesting.
  • Bastion is superb
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It is the BEST GAME.
  • Hey guys hey

Mirror's Edge is only $9.99 and Rayman Origins is $12.99

If there were any reasons stopping you from checking them out, chuck them out the window right now because they are awesome and worth the slightly more expensive price tag than their brethren, I promise
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit

Bastion is superb

Gonna second this

You absolutely should play Bastion if you haven't already.
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-07-13 02:58:03
    Just bought Thomas Was Alone after trying the demo out.

It's fun. I like the narrator, he reminds me of Stephen Fry in LittleBigPlanet. (Also I am Thomas. He is me.)
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Just got Garry's Mod for 2.49$
    ... Using money that I got from selling Team Fortress 2 items :B
  • BORDERLANDS 2 IS $10 HOLY HELL
  • edited 2013-07-14 16:53:52
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    * Daily Deals (14/10/2013)

Arma II: 66% off
    Eador: Masters of the Broken World: 40% off
    Fallout: New Vegas: 75% off
    Hitman Absolution: 75% off
    Kerbal Space Program: 40% off
    Portal 2: 75% off
    Remember Me: 40% off
    Sanctum 2: 50% off
    The Sims 3: 50% off
    Total War: Shogun 2: 75% off

Remember Me is already a deal?

Man. Must be some crappy game.
    * Daily Deals

Castle Crashers: 75% off
    Dishonored: 66% off
    Dust: An Elysian Tail: 50% off
    Killing Floor: 80% off
    Max Payne 3: 75% off
    Reus: 50% off
    Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion: 75% off
    Terraria: 75% off
    Wargame: Airland Battle: 50% off
    Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II: 75% off
  • So, Crusader Kings II is on sale for $10. And all the important DLC,
    except for the Old Gods pack, because Zersk is meant to suffer for some
    reason.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Does anyone know of good shmups on Steam? ^_^ I am a shmup addict and I crave these games like crack.
  • edited 2013-07-16 04:31:45
    Here are some possibilities: Ether Vapor Remaster, Strike Suit Zero, Strike Suit Infinity, Gundemonium trilogy, and Satazius.

I recently picked up Strike Suit Zero on GOG, actually, when it was on sale for -75% a few weeks ago.  Haven't tried it yet.

Strike Suit Zero is available direct from the developer and on Amazon, GamersGate, GOG, Green Man Gaming, Steam.  Strike Suit Infinity is available all those ways except direct.

Ether Vapor Remaster is available direct from the developer, and on Capcom Store, Desura, GamersGate, Impulse (GameStop), and Steam. EVR was made by Edelweiss, who also made Fairy Bloom Freesia.

The Gundemonium collection consists of three games: Gundemonium Recollection, Gundeadligne, and Hitogata Happa.  They are available on Desura and Steam, and you can even buy a CD-ROM from the developer.  These games were made by Platine Dispositif, who also made Bunny Must Die.

Satazius is available from Capcom Store, GamersGate, GameTap, Impulse (GameStop), and Steam.  It was made by ASTRO PORT, who's apparently done a few other games called Gigantic Army, Armed Seven, and Supercharged Robot Vulkaiser, but I've never heard of them before myself.

If you're willing to move beyond Steam, I'd also highly recommend Flying Red Barrel (available on Desura, Direct2Drive, GamersGate, and Rice Digital), and there's also the Suguri series, Diadra Empty, and Cloudphobia.

A number of these games have been localized/published by the folks at Rockin' Android, so you should go check out their games list: http://www.rockinandroid.com/games/

I suggest you check at least the developers'/publishers' homepages, as well as GamersGate and GOG.  GOG had their crazy sale period a couple weeks ago, but GamersGate is still doing it now.  Developers will sometimes (especially if they're using the Humble storefront) offer both Steam key and DRM-free copy for the same discounted price as on Steam -- useful if you want DRM-free but the game has Steam trading cards and you want them too.  Anyhow, GOG's games are all DRM-free and GamersGate's games will tell you whether they are DRM-free.  Plus I think if you buy enough stuff on GamersGate you get credits that you can use to buy a game for free (but I haven't tried this yet).

Desura's games almost always are DRM-free, as far as I know, though they don't
    usually have big sales -- but on the other hand they do run the Indie
    Royale, which features a new bundle of interesting stuff every two weeks or so.

And watch out for big sales out of the blue.  Last year there was a "Because We May" sale from a ton of indie developers doing direct-to-buyer, Desura, Steam, Apple store, etc. sales.
  • edited 2013-07-16 04:37:28
    Oh here's the other localizer that's done a lot of them: Nyu-Media, here's their page on their shmups: http://nyu-media.com/category/shooting/

There's also the eXceed series, which I remember is on Steam but also available elsewhere I think.

And then there's The Tale of Alltynex, which is a trilogy of Alltynex 2nd, RefleX, and Kamui.  I don't think that's on Steam but I know it's available elsewhere.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Miko said:

Does anyone know of good shmups on Steam? ^_^ I am a shmup addict and I crave these games like crack.

Also I don't think it's quite as bullet hell as you may enjoy but Jamestown is a wonderful shooter about 17th century colonies on mars.
  • edited 2013-07-16 10:52:33
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    ooooh choices!! :D

Satazius is 3 dollars on Steam so now is a good time to get it. :) Also I already have all the Alltynex games and they are fun. :3
    * Daily Deals

Alan Wake: 90% off
    Crysis 2: 70% off
    DmC: Devil May Cry: 50% off
    Football Manager 2013: 75% off
    Mark of the Ninja: 75% off
    Orcs Must Die! 2: 75% off
    Rising Storm: 50%
    The Secret World: 50% off
    Sleeping Dogs: 75% off
    System Shock 2: 75% off

Mark of the Ninja and Sleeping Dogs are great, System Shock 2 is considered a classic for very good reasons.

• FLASH SALE FLASH SALE

RAYMAN ORIGINS IS $6.79

YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO
  • oh and also Portal 2 is $5

get that too
  • edited 2013-07-19 15:21:49
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I am tempted to spend even more money. :x I already just got the eXceed and Gundemonium collections.