Phoebe and Her Unicorn (formerly Heavenly Nostrils)

edited 2015-02-19 00:02:33 in General Media
Because all of Centie's momentary obsessions deserve threads of their own.

So yeah, I imagine the fact that I fell in love with this is totally unsurprising. It's very CentralAvenue-ish...

Comments

• It's good.

Has a lot of parallels to Calvin & Hobbes.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Indeed. And Calvin and Hobbes was more or less my entire childhood, so...

Hehehehehe.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    This comic looks enjoyable.
  • edited 2013-06-21 15:07:00
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I like this comic. I also really liked Ozy and Millie, although I have heard that Simpson's other work can be extremely preachy and overwrought. Which is sad, because she does light, goofy, mildly sarcastic humour really well.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I liked Ozy and Millie but I never read it very much. I don't know why; feels like I kinda missed out now. :\
  • edited 2013-06-21 16:16:44

raine dog

this comic looks v nice though.
  • edited 2013-06-21 16:16:49
    ^^ It's still up online, isn't it?

I've not read it in ages myself.

^ I have heard that it is awful.
  • ^ I have heard that it is awful.
    yeeaaahhhhh
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Again, I am disappointed yet unsurprised.
    for some reason i don't feel like i have any room to talk

like, if i had a successful webcomic, i'd probably end up putting out stupid shit afterwards too
  • edited 2013-06-21 17:45:16
    But you're not one to give into the temptation to preach shrilly through ham-fisted allegory in lieu of actually making an entertaining comic. Sadly, that was Dana Simpson's path. Given her tendency to throw political jibes into Ozy and Millie fairly frequently (albeit usually in an amusing way), the move was telegraphed pretty strongly, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't a really bad one.

Heavenly Nostrils, thankfully, is her returning to what she is best at: The delightfully pithy.
  • shrilly ham-fisted allegory does not really cover it. it was more "the liberal version of chick tracts, including awkwardly handled bestiality"
    Yes. I have heard things...
    I kinda want to peek at this out of morbid curiosity but I'm worried it will ruin my enjoyment of Nostrils
  • it's well intentioned

but like

yeah
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Chick Tracts are funny, though.

god i love this comic
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    heh
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i don't recall one ever being mentioned before.

This was funny the first time, but it's funnier now because I've actually seen my sister react that way to an old phone
  • oooooh, color
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Comics like Heavenly Nostrils make me wonder what it would take (short of an act from God) for a web-comic in this format to actually be published as a daily newspaper strip.

I remember this was something of a dream for PvP creator Scott R. Kurtz. One he ultimately abandoned when it became apparent the whole thing seemed to be something of an old men's club that wouldn't have him. 

Though, with print media going the direction it is, it might be a moot point.
    I would say that for a lot of people, newspaper comics have lost a lot of relevance and bite. Print comics as a whole are certainly still viable, but a good web-comic has a lot more freedom in format and content.
    Sometimes I wonder whether Bill Watterson would have bothered getting Calvin and Hobbes newspaper syndication had the internet been a thing back then. It seems like a webcomic would have been an easy way to give him the control he desired, both in terms of licensing (or lack thereof) and comic layout.

'Course, he got what he wanted on both counts in the end anyway, but he had to fight for it...
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Heavenly Nostrils seems more newspaper-friendly than most... the humour is nothing too controversial and the format is clearly made with syndication in mind

contrast, say, xkcd, which i think has been syndicated before?  but is frequently unsuitable for the newspapers, for various reasons

The Guardian has ran The Perry Bible Fellowship and A Softer World in the past
    Heavenly Nostrils is extremely newspaper-friendly. Funnily enough, most of Simpson's better stuff is.

I can imagine The Grauniad running those. Their media editors have interesting taste in things.
    I thought that at one point Simpson was trying to get Heavenly Nostrils into newspapers, but I can't remember where I read this >_<
    Made me laugh.

• kill living beings

Hehehehehe.

well NOW i feel old
    that unicorn is real stuck-up
    I know! Isn't she great?

(I don't know why I like narcissistic characters as much as I do)
    to each their own
  • Tachyon said:

Heavenly Nostrils seems more newspaper-friendly than most... the humour is nothing too controversial and the format is clearly made with syndication in mind

contrast, say, xkcd, which i think has been syndicated before?  but is frequently unsuitable for the newspapers, for various reasons

The Guardian has ran The Perry Bible Fellowship and A Softer World in the past

my high school newspaper briefly ran xkcd alongside an original (and godawful) strip called Buttland. I recall neither lasting very long since the newspaper cut the comics portion of their run a couple months later.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    other than its title, what was so godawful about Buttland
  • edited 2014-05-11 09:47:47
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Robots Who Are Totally Also Cars.
  • Princess Pedantia.
  • Anonus said:

other than its title, what was so godawful about Buttland

late

but it was just really banal "I use reddit, which makes me part of an ELITE SECRET CLUB" humor. Lots of xeroxed trollfaces and uses of the word "epic".
  • kill living beings
    imagefrom tfwiki
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Oh shit son
  • i like the transformer just scratching his head

I can't tell whether they changed this because Universal Uclick knew better than to let Dana touch politics or simply because the original punchline didn't make any sense
  • probably both tbh
  • Also, I know it's for marketing reasons but I feel like the change to a more descriptive title isn't really a huge improvement.

Weird to think about it that way, given that I preferred the character-based title switch another webcomic I liked went through (On the Rocks to Wally and Osborne).