Let's Play Tohomon Blue! (It's Back!) (Kind of!) (See most recent post)

Comments

• also Gator was "yay evolutions!" a vote to keep Derpy Fairy?
  • Momiji confuses me. I thought tengu were supposed to specifically be
    based on crows, but she's a wolf.
    She wasn't originally a wolf. In-game, she's just a white-haired girl with a sword and shield. It's just that so many people decided to stick wolf ears on her that it's become standard. I think it was originally just a name for the guardsman that mutated into what it is now.

I'm going to go with Ten or Ju for Rumia (Ten in Japanese is Ju, and the kanji for Ju resembles a cross)

Also, something I forgot to mention in the Gensokyo Report. Rumia has a mysterious amulet in her ribbon. If it's ever removed, something crazy'll happen. Luckily, she can't remove it herself.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    It was a comment on Zesty and Bruce. But now that you mention it, I would like to keep Ms. Fairy.

As for evolutions, I'm leaning toward either Lily White or Kodaichan. Can't quite decide which. I'd have to see more about their types and moves and stuff. Sadly, Touhoumon Blue doesn't seem to have a working Touhoudex anywhere online.

Also, everything happens so fast in this thread. This combined with my tendency to take too long typing my responses leads to awkward stuff.
  • Sorry, I'm just grinding right now so take your time.

A lot of fantasticisms happened quickly.

Also her defense is currently the higher of the two so Lily White is looking likely.

Also also, we now have some cash after selling that Moon Stone. Thank god. With that, we bought ten potions (for a total of 12) and some Toho Orbs, as we were running low.

As for stats and types, the working 'Dexes for the other versions are mostly accurate with respect to evolutions. There are not many dependencies in that department.

• I'm voting for Kodaichan, simply because I can't find a picture of her on google and I want to know what she looks like.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Yarrun: Ah, I see. So White Wolf was supposed to be more like the name of her squadron instead of a description of what she is. That makes sense.

Also, I will admit I'm kinda disappointed that you don't want Kisume. From what little I know of her, my reaction is "D'aww, a shy little bucket that likes to fall on people's heads, that's so silly and cute!" Oh, well.
  • I would want her if her sprite worked correctly, but like I said, it's glitched to a deformed version of Kabuto's.

Anyway, yeah I'll try to find a Thunderstone (don't they sell them in the city? I forget) in that case.

Although if she does evolve before I find one, there's not much I can do about that.

• Okay, so, apparently there are better versions of most of the sprites that I've been using in my reports. Namely, this RP has better sprites for CRumia and CReisen, which infuriates me mildly.

Also, Lazuli, using DeviantArt in conjunction with Flickr might help with your photo limit problem, poor public perception of DeviantArt be damned.

Also, my eyes are on fire, so Kisume's report might have to wait a bit.
  • Well I've only used 12% of my monthly limit so far, but that was 0% when I started this LP.

And yeah, the old versions of Tohomon had terrible spriting.

In any case, things! We caught a Rumia.

Training her up to par with the rest of the crew's gonna be hell though.

In any case, here's how catching is going to work from now on. PLEASE READ THIS

Since we've got a full team of six. What's going to happen now is that not only are Touhou going to need four votes to get in instead of three, there will also have to be AT LEAST THREE votes to kick out another Touhou from our lineup. If BOTH of these conditions are not fulfilled, the Touhou is not getting in my party, but I will still catch it to put in the PC/as backup.

In other news, I am going to try to get us through this DAMN Mt. Moon. And we're going to kick Rocket ass, while we're at it.

• Oh hey, we trounced that Rocket that wiped us earlier (to give you an idea of how overpowered Dark Touhou are, his Chen knows fucking Crush Claw, at level 16), and it turns out that that's not the right way! Well, I can't complain too much, we got a Star Piece and the priceless satisfaction of beating up a jackass.

• edited 2012-08-13 23:23:17
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I'm surprised I haven't thought of this before, but Dark Touhou seem kinda like Shadow Pokémon in the GameCube games. They're both brought about by taking ordinary Pokémon/Touhou puppets and being an evil abusive dickbag toward them until they become emotionless war machines. They also both have a strength advantage over regular versions of their kind (Shadow Pokémon admittedly have a bit less of one than Dark Touhou).

The main difference is that you're supposed to heal the Shadow Pokémon. This is not only a nice heroic thing to do; it gives them new moves that they wouldn't have otherwise. Meanwhile, you can't heal Dark Touhou, and no one cares that you have one.
  • I think you actually can cause Dark Touhou to evolve into their regular counterparts by getting their friendship values high enough, but I may be wrong.

Oh, really? Cool.

Not that that's a particularly daunting task. Unless of course, their default friendship value is zero, which would make sense even if it is a little annoying.
  • so, this next Rocket I run into leads with a Level 18 Dark Chibi Rumia, and its ability is fucking Shadow Tag.
  • gentlemen, I have good news and better news.

Good News: 

Fossil Get! I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is probably PC98 Reimu. 

Better News:

WE'RE OUT OF THAT DAMN CAVE OH HELL YES

• edited 2012-08-14 01:45:25
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I'm voting to keep the Fairy

And I'm voting to evolve it into the Zombie Fairy because fuck yes Zombie Fairies

And if something needs to get kicked out for it, then I'm voting for whatever ends up with the most votes

...Zombie Fairies :3
  • I will try to get an update in tonight. But no promises.
  • Alright so while out grinding I decided to take on the infamous Nugget Bridge, since it'd be faster.

Then this happened.

Fuck you, Gary.

I find it amusing that he's only caught four Touhou at this point, though.

So for his first move, he sends out that blasted Chibi Aya, who is now some how level 19. We counter with Cheech, who takes her down with little difficulty.

His next Touhou is....Momiji. Seems dude has a thing for Tengu. We bring out Rei, but she gets taken down. So instead, we send out Lee, who promptly kung-fu kicks its face in.

Then he sends out Raymoo, so what can we do?

Oh yeah, shit's about to get epic.

Oh hey, what's this now?

yeah, Zesty learned this as we were coming out of Mt. Moon, this is my first chance to actually use it. And, since it's an Ice move, and Gary's Raymoo is part-Flying Type, well.

oh but it gets better

suck it, Gary.

Zesty is enjoying her vengeance for being thrashed on the first page.

Anyhow, his fourth Touhou is uhimage

wait what

we haven't even run into these yet. The hell'd he get one?

Whatever. An ice attack and a kick to the face and it's down.

fuck you, Gary.

oh hey

well that happened. The reference to stealing hearts refers to Marisa's memetic status as a player.

So now Gary's giving us his speech about ZUN. Oh, were you expecting Bill? Too bad. You get ZUN.

ZUN is the creator of the Touhou games for those not in the know. Also, he likes alcohol. A lot. Here, he becomes Bill. He's also a Touhou you can catch in game. Because common sense will only hold you back in Gensokyo.

Next update we do the Nugget Bridge.

Also as a note, I would rather not since you guys voted her in, but I am having a hell of a time levelling up Ju. She's doing even worse than our Fairy, so I am honestly considering replacing her.

It's always a surprise to see a Pokémon get frozen. That status effect is pretty rare, though admittedly for a very good reason.

I wonder if the trick where you can get infinite Nuggets by losing to the guy at the end of the bridge repeatedly works here. My guess is it probably does.

Though before you take this as an official vote, I don't really want you to try it. Heck, I wouldn't try it myself.
  • We can always level up Ju later. Once we start hitting Level 30s and 40s, the XP should make it easier to level her up.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

He's also a Touhou you can catch in game.

catch

catch now
    I agree with Yarrun. And besides, the main reason we got her was to have an advantage against Sabrina, right? That's not going to be for a while, so we're in no rush to get her caught up with everyone else.
  • And now, the Gensokyo Report, Edition 4 (1)!

Patchouli's the librarian for the Scarlet Devil Mansion. Naturally, she's also an arcane magician, master of 7 elements. That's the five eastern elements (Metal, Earth, Wood, Fire, Water) and the Sun and the Moon. Each element has a day that boosts its power, so she's also called the Seven Day Magician. Her mystical powers are limited by her frail physical state. She's anemic and severely asthmatic, which is bad for someone who's life depends on speaking spells. Also of note is that she's the only person in the SDM who's neither a Scarlet or a servant of some kind. She's in the house as a guest; she only works in the library because she likes to.

I'd vote to grab a CPatchouli, but we already have a magician on our team. If we get her, then we'd also have to get Alice, since it wouldn't be right to only have two of the classic magician trio.

take a stab as to what we're doing this update.

yeah. Also I like to imagine this being said in a southern accent. "They call this here the NUGGET bridge."

So this guy's a Fairycatcher, and his first Touhou is a level 10 Luna. So we're gonna try to get Ju in the game here, since she's Level 9. Annnnd, that's a level up.

He's got the standard Fairy assortment here, plus Cirno. I am hoping that she needs no introduction, since she's possibly the most famous Touhou character.

The second trainer is a schoolgirl, let's see what her Touhoes are.image

right. Not like we've seen a quadrillion of these before.

Her other Touhou are a Medicine, which we take out with our own Rei, and a chibi Yuuka, which Rei also easily sweeps.

Next guy is more of the same, and leads with a Level 15 Chen. Girl after him with a Level 16 Sanae, marking hte first time we've seen one of these in quite awhile.

Anyway, it's basicaly same old same old.

I wonder what the last guy has.image

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

WHAT THE SHIT IS THAT HOLY FUCK

AHHHHHH!!!!

yeah this is why I didn't want to catch Bucketloli.

She has become a Thing From Beyond The Stars. Gensokyo F'htagn.

But don't worry, Chibi Kisume's only true desire is hug you (and also to hear your screams echo into the yawning abyss of eternity).

Luckily, we switch to Cheech, who is able to take down the abomination unto the eyes of Arceus without much trouble.

Anyway, we beat the bridge, so here's the guy who gives us our prize (it's a Gold Nugget, which we can sell for lots of money)

he then turns out to be a Rocket, to the surprise of no one who has ever played this game.

I always found that this was a great recruitment strategy. Waiting for a trainer to beat your unwitting lackeys, and then trying to get them to join Team Rocket. I also always thought that they shoulda let you do it if you wanted to. But oh well, I'm sure there's a ROMHack for that too.

I still don't understand how this has intimidate as an ability.

THERE IS NOTHING SCARY ABOUT THIS WHATSOEVER.

His next Touhou is a bit more interesting.

the classic mirror match setup.

More seriously, there is something truly disturbing to me about the Dark Wriggle line. You'd have to read their 'Dex entries to really grasp why, but basically, we are fighting a suicidal depressive right now, if memory serves.

I'm sorry if I just ruined anyone's evening. Genuinely. Also its cry is just haunting, most cries in this game match up to a Pokemon's, but I can't place Dark Chibi Wriggle's.

Also it somehow knows way more kicks than we do (Rolling Kick and Tension Kick, though it doesn't seem to know Hi Kick).

Anyway, we beat the dude, take our Gold Nugget, and leave. So, that's that for this installment.

On the positive side of things, Ju seems to be sort-of catching up. So hopefully she won't be behind for too much longer. She needs to learn a good offensive move though (I assume said move will be Bite).

• He's also a Touhou you can catch in game.

catch

catch now

>implying I can catch him now
  • Yarrun said:

We can always level up Ju later. Once we start hitting Level 30s and 40s, the XP should make it easier to level her up.

I agree with Yarrun. And besides, the main reason we got her was to have an advantage against Sabrina, right? That's not going to be for a while, so we're in no rush to get her caught up with everyone else.

Alright.

I was just expressing my frustration more than anything.

LEVELING UP TAKES SO LOOOOOONG ;A;

• edited 2012-08-14 23:41:44
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Is there a Tohomon Red? Because now I want to play this and not Pokemon Bullshit Brown where Gust is super effective on Vulpix and Pound murders Geodude
  • There's Tohomon Blue, Tohomon Merry, and Tohomon Renko. There's also Tohomon Lunatic, which you do not want, and Tohomon Puppetplay, which is the granddaddy of all of these and I think a Japanese exclusive.

Merry and Renko are....different. From what I'm playing though. For instance, there is a Heart type.

I've never played Lunatic, but I know it gives Full Restores to every trainer, and have also never played Puppetplay.

• edited 2012-08-14 23:37:13
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    There's also Touhoumon Green, which is a remake of Gold/Silver with Touhous.
  • Whaaaat? I haven't heard of that one.

May have to nab that. Is it a ROMHack of a third gen game or does it actually hack Gold/Silver?

• Lunatic, in classic Touhou, is the highest mode of difficulty. Completing Lunatic Mode without using any continues is akin to completing I Wanna Be The Guy on Impossible. Thus, Touhoumon Lunatic is probably impossible barring constant grinding and cheating.

And I think Kisume's sprite is kind of cute (if only because I've been conditioned to never feel anything but amusement and/or delight in the presence of the Bucketgirl)
  • No, it's several times more difficult than that.
  • edited 2012-08-15 20:19:41
    ^^^I believe it's still a romhack of FireRed. It's being made by the same person who did Blue.
  • edited 2012-08-14 23:48:14
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I KNOW that cry... It's a legendary Pokemon I think... Maybe one of the regis?
  • Gensokyo Report, Edition 4 (2)!

Kisume is a girl in a bucket. She is very much a girl in a bucket. She is normally not that creepy-looking because the bucket is traditionally upright.

She's part of a species of youkai who drop down from trees to catch their human prey. However, she's shy, so she's more known for being a moé character who doesn't do much besides being cute.

She also has the power to throw down ghostly fire from her bucket, but you won't be seeing that too often because she only does that in Hard/Lunatic mode.
  • oh, before I forget: 

CURRENT TEAM LINEUP!

Zestpoole the Sakuya: Perfect & Elegant Refrigerator Cannon
    Rei the Medicine: Hypercompetent Genocidalist
    Cheech the Marisa: Feminine Stoner & Lightning Rod
    Bruce the Wriggle: Kung-Fu Kicking Firefly Girl
    Derpy the Fairy: Generic Brand Touhou with a Bright Future
    Ju the Rumia: Darkness-Enveloped Literal Anklebiter

• edited 2012-08-14 23:55:57
    I compared it to all the Generation 3 Legendaries' cries, but none of them match up exactly. The closest that came to it were Regirock and Groudon. It also sounds kinda like Metagross. It could be a distortion of one of their cries, but I can't say for sure. I'll keep checking for a little bit.
  • Kinda creepy that they'd go through the trouble of making a unique cry for that Touhou only (as far as I know).

Though Mystia's Sing attack is different than the norm.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    You'd think that they would have made completely new cries for all the touhous...
  • Several versions did. I think Merry has all new cries (and music too), but it also has terrible sprites.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ Bet I could replace all the sprites pretty easily...
  • If you could replace Merry's sprites with Blue's (other than Bucketloli's cuz eeeeugh) you'd probably have the perfect Tohomon game.
  • edited 2012-08-15 00:08:12
    The mystery is solved! Dark Chibi Wriggle's cry is Cradily's.

I'd say that's sort of appropriate. I always thought Cradily looked kinda creepy.
  • We were looking for Dark Chibi Wriggle's cry, though.
    If I may steal a quote that Icamirjde made ages ago:

TYPO MAN AWAAAAAAAAAAAY
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    God I'm just catching almost everything I see because I have no fucking idea what to catch...

Also, I'm considering a Prism Let's Play

Also Also, Bucket Girl is creepy

Also Also Also, Also is fun to say
  • I am going to do some grinding tonight. If anyone evolves or something I'll post about that, but no update. Likely no update tomorrow either unless I do it during the day, since tomorrow night is my first day of work.
  • So, our Fairy learned "Barrage" and has become an unstoppable killing machine in the process.

Also I looked all over for a Thunderstone or Firestone and couldn't find one. Sorry guys, she's either evolving into Lily White, Lily Black or Daiyousei. Not gonna spoil myself as to which.

• edited 2012-08-15 22:38:19
    No problem. I actually got this game just to sample it, and the version I have comes with a text file with all the Touhoudex entries. Kodaichan is Electric (which I really should've expected), and we already have Marisa. I'm still hoping for Lily White, since Normal doesn't overlap with any other type we have.

Speaking of the Touhoudex, you're right about how Dark Touhou can evolve into their regular counterparts with high friendship. But interestingly, the reverse seems to be true as well.