Movies thread

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Also, apparently The Dark Knight Rises is already well on it's way to out doing Avengers.

Well damn.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    I've just seen the Dark Knight Rises and lets just say that Anne Hathaway is a much better actress than she was 450 years ago.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    The true author of Shakespeare's plays was Batman.
    Gilda said:

The true author of Shakespeare's plays was Batman.

I knew it!
  • edited 2012-07-21 17:11:21

Gilda said:

The true author of Shakespeare's plays was the man behind the grassy knoll.

ftfy
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    Saw it yesterday. Loved it. Absolutely incredible. My new favorite of the trilogy.

I'm not gonna bother doing an in-depth review (not yet, at least), but since there'll be comparisons:

I didn't like it more than the Avengers. I didn't like the Avengers more than TDKR either. They're two very different products, and both accomplish their goals excellently.

Though, if you give me a choice to watch one of them, I'm more likely to pick Avengers. TDKR is heavy stuff.
    TDKR imo is better than the 1989 Batman film and Bale definitely carried the film better than he did for TDK where Eckhart was the better actor than Bale.

I think Avengers was a better film than this, but not necessarily the other two Batman films. I do agree that both films set out with very different goals in mind.

One issue I realized is that I wasn't really that impressed with the actor that played Catwoman, or her outfit (though, admittedly, it's hard to make a Cat-Woman costume that won't look stupid as hell in a few years. This one was at least just sorta bland and unmemorable. )

Bane was pretty damn awesome. 

Bale is still doing raspy voiced Batman, it was one of my least favorite aspects of the second movie. I'm really surprised they kept it.
    Well, I wasn't expecting the twist at the end.
    I have to disagree with you on Catwoman, I thought Anne Hathaway was pretty great.

Which one (please use spoiler tags, of course) there where quite a few, and at least two I didn't see coming at all.
  • edited 2012-07-21 18:05:55

I don't like superhero movies for some reason. (*Shrug*)

Just watched Howl again, it's pretty sweet.

I have to disagree with you on Catwoman, I thought Anne Hathaway was pretty great.

To each their own, and I think she is the best film portrayal of the character to date, I just wan't blown away.

She didn't bug me like the last two main female actors who played the same sorta lame love interest.
    Spoilers Ahoy.

I didn't expect Blake being called Robin and getting the batcave but it fits as Blake/Robin would now be facing criminals without a mask. I totally expected Wayne to turn up in Florence but not with Kyle though

I didn't see the first one coming at all, but I did see the second one.
    So I was reading about the planned but scrapped 3rd Batman and all I can say is, Nolan is a sly dog.
  • edited 2012-07-24 04:08:27
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Speaking of comic book movies, I watched Marvel's made for TV Movie, "Man-Thing".

It was a tad cliche heavy, but not bad past that. Not super-great, or anything. But A lot of people seem to think it's one of the worst things ever, when really, it's just a decently budgeted, decent looking made for TV Movie.

It feels like a slasher horror, though. Which might be why many where disappointed, I'm sure they where hoping for a Superhero film.

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Man-Thing as a character and plot device is great.

And really, how can you not love the line; "AND WHOSOEVER FEELS FEAR BURNS AT THE TOUCH OF THE MAN-THING!"?
  • Man-Thing as a character and plot device is great.

And really, how can you not love the line; "AND WHOSOEVER FEELS FEAR BURNS AT THE TOUCH OF THE MAN-THING!"?

But is it a giant-sized man-thing?

He looks to be about 12' tall. I think that counts. 

Dear Larry Fessenden,

Stop putting Windegos in things.

You either have no idea what you're doing with them or read like a six sentence description in a Native American pamphlet somewhere and just ran with it.

You've dome some good work but Windego was a bad, BAD movie and you should feel bad for writing, directing, and editing it.

Sincerely, 

Justice

P.S. It was really bad. You need to at least figure out what the point of a movie is before you make it.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I'm pretty obsessed with The Room and yes, it's the name of the film. Really funny in a so bad its great kind of way.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Ah, The Room. Perhaps the crowning masterpiece of the theatre of naive surrealism.
  • edited 2012-08-07 03:06:23

Just watched "Legion".

To paraphrase Tycho, that movie is on some pretty shaky theological ground.

Also, lots of characters Friday and I couldn't care less about that we knew where going to die anyways, spoilers: THEY TOTALLY FUCKING DO! Lots of time listening to these characters TALK. Lots of plot points that made no sense, lots of confusing action sequences.

The movie also fell into a trap that other movies involving angels, such as Constantine and The Prophecy, managed to avoid. Don't make God the villain. A rogue angel or even a bunch of them works, because then you don't have to explain or ignore theological questions of "If God WANTS an outcome so much that he's willing to send a horde of Angels to make happen, why doesn't he try something he KNOWS will work instead?"

Couple interesting action sequences, though, and an old lady got hit in the head with a frying pan! 

Also, Angel wings are bullet proof, it seem. That was pretty cool.

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Yeah I saw it when it came out.

I mean I love Paul Bethany and seeing him in anything, but the movie was just pretty dull.

If they are adhering to scripture, they're also being rather confusing about it.

At first I thought the baby might be the anti-Christ from the previews, but the plot doesn't really support that.

If anything, the Child is probably suppose to be the second coming of Christ or at least a Saint or some-such. 

She gave birth to a son, a male child, who will rule all the nations with an iron scepter. And her child was snatched up to God and to his throne."

Of course, that's pretty much the only thing tying it to scripture, and there's lots of other things in Revelations that no attempt was made to make a connection.

That aside, yeah, it was pretty dull. Way too much time with the cast. They could have cut a great deal of that out and at least shortened it.

Not that that would have made a few of the action scenes any more coherent. 
    What bugged me about that movie is how fickle God was portrayed as.

I mean...He decided it was time to wipe out humanity. Okay. Then, when a few people manage to hold out for like, half a day...He decides 'actually, no, let them live.'

That bugged me too, as I mentioned.

I mean, if the Child is who I think it was supposed to be, his motivation for getting rid of it go hand and hand with the basic "Screw you humans, I'mma gonna have angels eat you".

Except, he's GOD and can basically do away with an unborn child with a thought. If he secretly wanted to give humanity a fighting chance, the movie made no effort to explain that.

Yeah...it was just kinda bad...
    I pretty much hated it. I mean, they didn't make it out to be a test for humanity, or anything like that...

Yeah, I hated it.

I'd just like a genre movie that can ask big, intelligent religious questions without tripping over its own feet.
  • edited 2012-08-07 14:17:16
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Yeah, their was a lot of potential with the plot, but they never got passed "GOD IS PISSED!"

The Prophecy was pretty interesting, not sure if it asked much in the way of "intelligent religious questions". Oddly enough, Constantine, was more willing to ask and address questions about faith and God then this movie.

You know...and Keanu Reeves had a magic flame-throwing shot-gun. 

Prometheus actually spends a lot of time asking questions, but it's problem is that it's often far too subtle, or far, far too blunt with a lot of the Religious aspects either going over the heads of most who watch it or being foisted on the audience. 

Lumine said:

I like to think that a text as ancient and significant as the Bible should be free. :p
    It kinda is, considering that entire translation is available off multiple sites.

There are probably some laws regarding the translation and it's use, but it's likely fine to use it anyway people see fit as long as they're not trying to prophet profit off of it.
    The thing I remember most about Constantine is the Vermin Man. Verman?

You know, that really memorable and creepy enemy that's onscreen for like one minute and dies when Constantine pushes him in front of a bus.

I liked Prometheus a lot, though it's "HOW DO YOU HAVE FAITH WHEN THERE'S ALIENS" thing was kinda hamfisted.
  • edited 2012-08-07 14:33:51

"I liked Prometheus a lot, though it's "HOW DO YOU HAVE FAITH WHEN THERE'S ALIENS" thing was kinda hamfisted. "

Indeed, it makes it easy to sort of miss the underlining message. 

^ I think it might be on how people can use it for their own translations, or some such. You can get the translation itself for free online, and I've seen copies of the Kings James version of The Bible at the dollar store.
  • edited 2012-08-07 15:57:05
  • Lumine said:

I like to think that a text as ancient and significant as the Bible should be free. :p

Technically speaking, it's the assorted translations that are copyrighted by different people.

Not that that's any less stupid, mind. But it is a difference.

How would you guys describe the film "Total Recall" (The Ahnold version).
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    three boobs

Now that that's out of the way, someone can do a serious answer.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I don't get what's so bad it's good about Birdemic except for one song.
    Vshao said:

I don't get what's so bad it's good about Birdemic except for one song.

Bad acting plus bad CGI plus no plot plus bad ending = bad film.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    But is it so bad it's good?
    Describing Total Recall:

The most EUEEAAAGH Arnold ever put on film.
  • edited 2012-09-29 02:54:45

Watched The Hunger Games.

It's alright, though I think the "an unknown apocalyptic event and WAR lead to the scenario we are today!" is a total cop-out. 

I'm supposed to accept your premise just because some unknown events made all this shit plausible? Fuck you and your shitty storytelling, I'm sick of this lazy "Oh, that aspect of the story isn't important" bull.

And for God sake's people. The Hunger Games is NOT post-apocalyptic. It's dystopian. Just because your movie/book talks about an apocalypse that happened at one time doesn't MAKE it post-apocalyptic. No one runs around talking about how the Die Hard series is post-apocalyptic just because a meteorite crushed the dinosaurs' scaly asses.  
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Best movie ever is The Man From Snowy River.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Why do we have two Movies threads, anyways?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    probably because it is basically impossible to find anything on this site
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Touché.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I'm sure there's at least three...

Watched The Conjuring and Also Warm Bodies.

Been a while since I posted here, so I've also seen World War Z

The Conjuring is simply very good, very scary and great at setting atmosphere.

Warm Bodies was a welcome spin on an otherwise played out genre, lots of different ideas and also very heartwarming at times without using blatant wish fulfillment like, say, Zombieland.

World War Z does a few different things with the genre and is really just a fun ride all around that lets us see a Zombie apocalypse as it unfolds, not just the survivors in the aftermath. 

I'd recommend all three.