It's Mother-Fucking Booze Time

edited 2012-06-19 18:44:00 in Talk

So, I figure there's not a ton of drinkers on the fora. But I know there's a few of you, and I think it's time we get a decent "srs bsns" (as much as possible for this fora anyhow) thread about drinking.

I live in Portland, which means I have a really good selection of beer, not-too-shabby selection of wine, and am completely at the mercy of the state controlled liquor stores for liquor.

The later is problematical if I want to find something like blueberry flavored Vodka, or Chinese liquor.

But we have tons of beer, and not just local stuff. 

I think I'll start with beer.

Hopworks makes good beer. No question. They've actually won a few awards with their stuff and it's getting pretty common to find in stores.

If I'm lucky, on the odd times I show up for some food and a couple pints, they'll have their 7-Grain Survival Stout in the cask. Changing Coffee flavored beer into beer flavored coffee somehow.

Southern Tier makes some really good imperials. We usually don't get their regular stuff around here, but their Blackwater series is some of the best beer I've ever drank. 

Dogfish Head Ales makes some of my favorites and crafts some of the most interesting beers of all time

Lots of favorites here, but I must tip my hate to Immortal Ale.

Tagged:

Comments

• That would imply that there is a time for you that is not booze time, wouldn't it? :P
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Some booze times are more "mother-fucking" than others.

But yeah, I've done a good job of structuring my life and the contents of my house so that "not booze time" is reduced to "sleeping, sitting in my cube at work, driving, in a public place that is not a restaurant".

Hence, why I'm very qualified to make threads like this. :P
  • "What can you do for him doctor?!"
    "Well ma'm, it's a bit hard to do anything. It appears his blood has been entirely replaced by alcohol. He may need a....WHISKEY TRANSFUSION to survive."

People with no insurance get their transfusion from "Early Times" Whiskey.
  • edited 2012-06-19 23:53:33
    :|
    ...It is literally easier for me to get any drug in the world than booze. Good argument for drug legalization right there.
  • So it is with this thread that I declare Justice a bona fide lush. We love you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • :D

Huzzah. This thread is the perfect place for me, since I'm the other lush of the forum, or so it seems.

Have you tried Ancient Grains Ale yet, Justice? I got a chance to try it over vacation and It had a pretty solid flavor.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    I stopped drinking a while ago, but when I fly I allow myself coffee and Bailey's. 
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I only drink Dr. Pepper.
  • I'm way too much of a poor college student to afford drinking with any regularity, but when I can afford to splurge a little and drink, I make sure to enjoy it. Usually this means nothing more than having one beer after I'm done with class (since I'm a very cheap date) or even buying pitcher when I'm out with friends celebrating, but there are times where I occasionally like to drink in heavier manner.

:D

Huzzah. This thread is the perfect place for me, since I'm the other lush of the forum, or so it seems.

Have you tried Ancient Grains Ale yet, Justice? I got a chance to try it over vacation and It had a pretty solid flavor.

I'm not sure if I've seen this around, I'll keep an eye out.

Reviews make it look like it has a unique flavor to it, and I like it when people try new things with beer. 
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

Oedipus Brand wine! So strong, you won't remember what you did with your mom last night!
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I'm not 21 yet.
    What difference does that make?
    Vshao said:

I'm not 21 yet.

You're not missing anything

except for maybe bazooka-barfing at 5am and cleaning your face (and clothes) up after making a total crying ass of yourself at last night's party because the booze made you emotional over something that you'd roll your eyes at sober

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Vshao said:

I'm not 21 yet.

You're legal age in Blighty

Speaking of Blighty:

Also, GIN!

I've never tried Gin because I'm not, as my accounting trade mag so beautifully described, "Male, Stale and Pale"

go chew on some juniper berries

congrats, you now know what gin tastes like (nasty)

• Vshao said:

I'm not 21 yet.

You're not missing anything

except for maybe bazooka-barfing at 5am and cleaning your face (and clothes) up after making a total crying ass of yourself at last night's party because the booze made you emotional over something that you'd roll your eyes at sober

Don't forget hitting your children! That's always a blast! :D

Gin is definitely an acquired taste. Though, it's one that I acquired.

Vodka still doesn't taste that great to me.
  • Vodka is good for mixing with stuff.

I bet in the 50s drinking it straight would get people accused of being communists.
  • edited 2012-06-21 19:10:15
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Nowadays, we just put the frickin' Hammer and Sickle right on the label!

• DUDE

how RUSSIAN do you have to BE just to MAKE something like that
  • I want to make a molotov cocktail from that, so I can say I started some sickle fires, bro.
  • Of course you do. Your life is a pun.
  • KJIKJI
    Yeah... yeah!!! hell yeah!!!
    One mustn't fuck one's mother
    Haven said:

Vodka is good for mixing with stuff.

I bet in the 50s drinking it straight would get people accused of being communists.
    I dunno - the standards of drinking the 50's were (compared to today) pretty bizarre. Malt liquor and fortified wine (the bad, bad cheap stuff) was marketed pretty much exclusively to the white middle class suburbanite. As for liquor, no matter what kind, I think it was one of those things you either saved for a specific occasion or kept on the down-low. 

Pictured:

Class
    Justice42 said:

Pictured:

Class

hahaha yeah that stuff

I'd like to add that several cities have banned the sale of those very brands of "wine" along with malt liquor like Natural Ice and noticed an immediate and appreciable drop in crime in those very areas

also thunderbird turns your teeth black

I had both back when I was trying everything. Not an experience I wish to repeat.

Funny that there's actual data that might support these that these kinds of drinks may lead to crime, maybe South Park was on to something when they attributed such behavior to Pabst Blue Ribbon

I should probably try Pabst when it's on tap, as it is in an obscene amount of places in Portland. For some reason, Pabst has the bizarre reputation of being the working class AND hipster drink of choice in this city.

I had it from the can once and haven't had it since (because it tasted pretty bland to me).

Tonight, I decided to use my father's day money gifted from my mother to buy just a little bit of Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, and Johnny Walker (which, despite attempting NOT to do this, I ended up calling "Johnny Wander" at the liquor store) so I could make a "Three Wise Men". 

These beverages remain not that stellar to me, however, mixed in equal proportions, they taste a bit smoother somehow and more enjoyable.

Evan Williams continues to be my relatively inexpensive whiskey of choice.  

• So this is where you were last night after I went to bed.  You forum-loving lush.

DRINK

EARLY TIMES

Japan hears and obeys. 

The Brown-Forman Company acquired the Early Times brand in 1923,[1] and over the next 30 years made Early Times the best-selling whisky in the country.[1] Today it is sold in over 40 countries.[1] It ranks as one of the top four selling bourbons in the world, and in 2005 it became the top selling Kentucky whisky in Japan.[1]
    You have got to be kidding me

WHO FILLED MY FRIDGE WITH ALL THIS MICRO-BREW BEER?! 

(Hint: It was me)

Lagunitas continues to make some very tasty ales. 

Full Sail doesn't tend to hit the mark as often, but DAMN do they make a fine Imperial Stout.

So, while we're talking beer and micro-brews, it's worth noting that micro-brews are changing the perception of American beer.

Budweiser and other lagers still get tons of crap, but American micro-brewers are winning some awards all over the world.

Sam Adams (kinda a mega-micro brewer, if you will...) managed to win a 2005 Oktoberfest competition in Germany of all places.

Apparently, putting spices, chocolate, coffee, etc... in beer is pretty uncommon in other countries, so America is where a lot of the beerimentation is happening. Micro brewers here also have a habit of taking a flavor profile and making it EXTREME.

I think Arrogant Bastard Ale probably displays this quality quite well.

Micro-breweries have really taken off here in the UK as well.
    You can experience the exact same sophisticated flavor of Arrogant Bastard Ale for a fraction of the price and not even have to worry if your county or province is dry or not

Here's what you do: go to a pharmacy and purchase the cheapest generic brand aspirin you can find. Take a handful of those throw them in your mouth, and chew on them for about a minute. Congratulations, you have now experienced exactly what Arrogant Bastard Ale tastes like, and without having to lose any dignity trying to show off to a world that doesn't care what kind of tough-guy beer you drink.

Arrogant Bastard Ale is also the only beer I've ever poured down the sink.
  • edited 2012-07-09 12:49:15
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I can tolerate it.

Key word "tolerate". I honestly think a great deal of the popularity is the "it's not FOR you" talk on the bottle. It's not something I buy, routinely. All they did was put in as much hops into an ale that was physically possible and passed off this experiment as a legitimate drink.

I think Stone Brewing Co. is capable of MUCH better and actually has an Ale I think is worlds superior. 

Honestly, I think the "Let's put, ALL THE HOPS in the beer" movement is pretty silly. IPAs taste a lot better when people figure out how to balance the hoppiness as opposed to convince you something is worth drinking via the Emperor's New Clothes method.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I'm seriously tempted to the read the copy in that ad in the Cinema Snob's voice.

Managed to increase my brothers liquor collection by 50% by exposing him tho this beverages:

imageimage

Should be pretty obvious, but he's not into the hard stuff.

While Mezcal has been brought up, I'll tell you about the worm.

The worm is actually a moth larva that feeds off the Agave, so it's a pest.

Back in the day it was actually the mark of BAD Mezcal to have a worm, since it meant something was eating on the crop.

Nowadays, lots of Mezcal good and bad get the worm simply because of a marketing gimmick. People who don't put a worm in their Mezcal might put something else... 

These tiny creatures do nothing for the taste, but people just sort of expect a dead something to be marinating in their Mezcal, I guess.
    Icky.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Well it's usually marinating in 80 proof or high liquor, so there's basically no chance it's going to hurt anything. 

Still, not very appealing.

This is has got nothing on the Koreans...

Bem Ju literally "Snake Wine" is made by placing a snake in a jar of distilled liquor like Soju and aging it. It is a folk remedy that is said to be particularly "good for men" various types of snakes are used, local lore has it that the more venomous the snake, the more powerful the medicinal quality (and the higher the price).

imageimage

They're not limited to snakes either...

imageimage

I'll spare you all the baby-mouse wine.

Not to be undone, China has a variant where it just uses the snake heads:

Alcohol content here ranges from ~40 Proof to ~120 Proof, depending on what alcohol is being used. 

I'm sure what the snakes are put in varies, but "Soju" mentioned above is typically about 40 proof. The snake heads seem to be in a liquid that's 114 proof. I'm not sure what any of this does for the taste, but I'm sure it has some noticeable effect on it.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Noooooo D:

Poor snakes...