The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• “Alice is like Princess Kaguya, except instead of being found in a stalk of bamboo and sending suitors on impossible quests, she was found in a toy store and eats all the candy.” – Fossilmaiden
    Oh, I could go for some garlic toast...
  • a toast to toast

photo credit: D. Sharon Pruitt
  • garlic toad is a thing?
  • edited 2021-06-30 14:58:16
    “Alice is like Princess Kaguya, except instead of being found in a stalk of bamboo and sending suitors on impossible quests, she was found in a toy store and eats all the candy.” – Fossilmaiden
    OH HECK BROTHER

YOU JUST GOT SHUBDIDUBI SWEETS TIME'd!!!

• Ponyhead said:

garlic toad is a thing?

garlic toad
  • Darkness is ever the herald of dawn.
    Pelobates fuscus.
  • huh, I hadn't heard of that toad before.
  • yes Garlic toad
    The Garlic toad makes a garlic-smelling scent when it senses danger, thus its name.

I haven't done any experiments, but I bet it works as well as regular garlic against vampires.

If not, it's a neat example of an anti-vampire survival mechanism.
  • Garlic toad needs to be a sub-weapon in a Castlevania game
    Maybe an item that fits into small spaces and retrieves stuff, like the thing in Metroid where you turn into a ball and fit into tubes and stuff?  I don't know, I've never played Castlevania.
  • the morph ball? sure
  • you *can* transform into a toad in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, so...
  • Oh yeah

But it's not garlic
    If you could turn into a Garlic Toad then the game would be way too easy.  All those baddies wouldn't stand a chance.

Why do you think we practically never see those baddies in real life?
  • Garlic toad is OP
  • eh kills vapmires and doent afraid of anything
  • choclate  frog
    Some stay dry and others feel the pog.
  • garlic pog
  • “Alice is like Princess Kaguya, except instead of being found in a stalk of bamboo and sending suitors on impossible quests, she was found in a toy store and eats all the candy.” – Fossilmaiden

Today’s date is kind of neat

7/14/21

• it's like, a pattern
  • YOUR KING and his child
  • There are more things on heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy, Horatio.
    carlick toast

drives over you
  • There are more things on heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy, Horatio.
    I hope that person who posted here bc they wanted to learn about Listening to 11.975 MHz a few years ago is doing okay. They seemed nice.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Deep Opal said:

I hope that person who posted here bc they wanted to learn about Listening to 11.975 MHz a few years ago is doing okay. They seemed nice.

yeah

• who was that
  • edited 2021-07-29 01:18:24
    Darkness is ever the herald of dawn.
    It was Eevster72.
  • oh
  • Jeez I realized I hadn’t thought about Forsythe in, like, years and hearing the name of the comic just unlocked all that

welp
  • it was a good comic
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Tre said:

Jeez I realized I hadn’t thought about Forsythe in, like, years and hearing the name of the comic just unlocked all that

welp
    I will admit that during March Madness in 2019 I was rooting against Texas Tech ENTIRELY BECAUSE OF HIM

Petty for sure but...
  • edited 2021-08-07 02:02:18

(FYI Mr. Rivera is a comedian)
  • well said, Alfredo
  • edited 2021-08-07 19:35:32
    I never really interacted much with Corporal Forsythe, as his time here was mostly before my own.  I like to think that we could have been friends, if things had happened differently.  Perhaps it's best not to write too much more about stuff I have practically no context on, though.
    I hesitated for a long time on banning Forsythe, because I worried that banning the one prominent conservative voice on the forum risked turning it into an echo chamber where our political views went unchallenged, but...I learned my lesson once I realized the extent to which conservative politics, at least in the American sense, are fundamentally built on hate and white supremacy.

Which is to say, I think I made the right decision, in the end, which is more than I can say for a lot of other moderation decisions I made on here.
    There was a point in my life when I wanted to become a moderator in every online community I participated in, not because I thought I would be a great asset to the community, and not even because of a raw lust for power, but because I wanted to be privy to the behind-the-scenes gossip that I assumed must be happening in the moderator-only spaces.

Nowadays, honestly, I would be content to never have to moderate an online community again for as long as I live...and when I want to gossip about whatever's going on in our wider community, I just go to one of my tiny private Discord servers and gossip with my other friends. We're probably all better off this way.
  • the Corporal was fine as long as he wasn't talking about politics

but, he wanted to make everything about politics
  • edited 2021-08-07 19:42:59
    @PrincessAlice: I'm conservative, though.  Then again, I'm not much of a prominent voice in that regard.

@ImipolexG:  That is a common problem among people who post on the internet.
  • I identify as a conservative, at least philosophically, even though my political positions more frequently align with liberals/progressives.

(The reasoning is complicated, but it has something to do with me favoring incrementalism with a consideration for preserving elements of the past.  I also frequently prefer non-"normative" justifications for liberal policy positions, such as using cost-benefit justifications for environmental policy positions.  I used to be more conservative on social/moral issues but I've grown more small-L libertarian in this regard as I've grown up.)

Anyhow, I guess it's still a truth of the internet -- those who aren't mods want to be mods; those who are mods don't want to be mods.
  • You know, it's annoying to wake up hungry and realize you're out of stuff to eat for breakfast.

It's even more annoying because it's my birthday and I feel that a great birthday present my past self could have given me was to not eat all the breakfast food.

But the worst part is that one of the things I finished off yesterday was a box of "birthday cake" flavoured cereal.
    Oh hey, we have birthdays less than a week apart.

Happy birthday! I hope you get the breakfast situation sorted!!
  • Happy birthday
    Happy birthday, both of you.