this is a real, unedited clip from Space Jam 2. I'm not joking, the video I'm linking is not a prank

Again, dead serious.

If you comment some shit like "I thought it was gunna be a Rickroll lmaoooo" I will eat your face. This is serious, we're talking about the dying dream of western pop culture here.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    o_O
  • do i wanna watch this
    what is the chance that it has like zero relevance to me
    okay i'll watch it if it's like less than a few minutes long

*clicks*

oh it's not a youtube video

i don't know how i feel about this
    it certainly doesn't elicit much of any feeling aside from "this seems cute i guess"
  • do i wanna watch this

*clicks*

it certainly doesn't elicit much of any feeling aside from "this seems cute i guess"
    you are so baffling
    yeah wtf glenn
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I don't like this
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Deep Opal said:

do i wanna watch this

*clicks*

you are so baffling
    i think glenn might just watch ytp as, like, normal videos
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    at least the Casablanca clip makes sense

even if Warners did FINALLY dump that fucking mawkish Casablanca fanfare from their logo only recently
    BRING BACK MAX STEINER'S FANFARE IN ITS FULL POWER AND GLORY
  • Calica said:

Deep Opal said:

do i wanna watch this

*clicks*

you are so baffling
    no, it's just that i can't necessarily tell jokes when they're in a context i'm largely unfamiliar with, and for whatever reason i've found that this happens disproportionately frequently with me and stuff Jane posts (to the point where i should perhaps know better than to engage)

i did suspect OP was sarcasm after seeing what was linked, but i was already halfway through my post (which i really did start writing before i clicked the link) and i didn't really feel like revising it to fit the joke

besides, the way OP strongly insists that it's to be taken at seriously is similar to how i'd indicate that something genuinely *isn't* sarcasm, so...i couldn't actually be sure that it's sarcasm.  (and i don't even like ironicposting in the first place)

(and now that i think about it further i realized i can't tell whether the thing linked in the OP is a parody of something else)
    it’s not? it’s a bunch of properties WarnerMedia owns being paraded

Austin Powers, Casablanca, Rick & Morty
    I do wonder who animated this scene

The movie has that “fluid” aesthetic toonheads go gaga over
  • edited 2021-07-18 09:25:02
    Anonus said:

it’s not? it’s a bunch of properties WarnerMedia owns being paraded

Austin Powers, Casablanca, Rick & Morty

no, i meant whether the criticism posted on twitter is itself a parody of other criticisms (it doesn't seem to be but i dunno)

what's happening in the movie in the highlighted scenes is pretty obvious
  • Calica said:

Deep Opal said:

do i wanna watch this

*clicks*

you are so baffling
    no, it's just that i can't necessarily tell jokes when they're in a context i'm largely unfamiliar with, and for whatever reason i've found that this happens disproportionately frequently with me and stuff Jane posts (to the point where i should perhaps know better than to engage)

i did suspect OP was sarcasm after seeing what was linked, but i was already halfway through my post (which i really did start writing before i clicked the link) and i didn't really feel like revising it to fit the joke

besides, the way OP strongly insists that it's to be taken at seriously is similar to how i'd indicate that something genuinely *isn't* sarcasm, so...i couldn't actually be sure that it's sarcasm.  (and i don't even like ironicposting in the first place)

(and now that i think about it further i realized i can't tell whether the thing linked in the OP is a parody of something else)
    I am at most being hyperbolic. I do genuinely think this is a terrible, horrible thing.

The idea that someone could watch this and not see how obviously aberrant it is to like, internal consistency, the very idea of a movie, just good taste as a general concept, etc. is completely bizarre to me.

I don't have a problem with that in of itself, but your weird habit of barging into my threads to basically loudly trumpet about how you don't understand them is incredibly annoying. There is nothing stopping you from just not posting anything.

(And no, passive-aggressively subtweeting me in your personal thread does not count as "not posting anything".)
  • ...wait, what?

Okay, I'll be honest, while I haven't watched Space Jam 2 myself, I didn't expect you to seriously find those scenes to be out of place in an animated comedy movie.

I guess perhaps something could be said about the odd juxtaposition of cartoon LeBron James with live-action scenes one of which apparently includes live-action LeBron James.  Didn't expect you to actually find it "a terrible, horrible thing", though.
  • ...wait, what?

Okay, I'll be honest, while I haven't watched Space Jam 2 myself, I didn't expect you to seriously find those scenes to be out of place in an animated comedy movie.

I guess perhaps something could be said about the odd juxtaposition of cartoon LeBron James with live-action scenes one of which apparently includes live-action LeBron James.  Didn't expect you to actually find it "a terrible, horrible thing", though.
    Does the fact that the clip (which again is an unedited, continual scene from Space Jam 2, a real movie that is showing in theaters right now) is cut like a bad YTP not seem weird to you? 

Like that's a genuine question.
  • edited 2021-07-18 09:59:53
    I don't have a problem with that in of itself, but your weird habit of barging into my threads to basically loudly trumpet about how you don't understand them is incredibly annoying. There is nothing stopping you from just not posting anything.

(And no, passive-aggressively subtweeting me in your personal thread does not count as "not posting anything".)

I didn't say anything about not understanding it until *after* you, Imipolex G, and calica posted in reply to me and I realized that yet another weird thing had happened.

(And I am fully aware that you can read what I wrote in my personal thread; it would have been far less appropriate to post it here.)
  • edited 2021-07-18 10:11:30
    Deep Opal said:

...wait, what?

Does the fact that the clip (which again is an unedited, continual scene from Space Jam 2, a real movie that is showing in theaters right now) is cut like a bad YTP not seem weird to you? 

Like that's a genuine question.
    I'm aware that it's meant to be an animated comedy, and that they're clearly referencing a bunch of other franchises, editing in the characters to be part of the action there, jumping from fictional universe to fictional universe, so it doesn't strike me as odd.  It just seems like fast-paced comedy, consistent with the feel of a variety of other Looney Tunes works I've seen.

Of course, this isn't to say you need to enjoy it.  This style of comedy isn't even my choice of comedy anyway.

As far as the cutting itself is concerned, maybe I didn't look closely enough, but nothing seemed glaringly poor-quality about it.  It's certainly smoother than the vast majority of YTPs, for that matter.
    youtube poop is better than this

youtube poop is better than this

I TORE MY ASS OPEN AND FLUNG HIM INTO THE FUTURE
    exactly
  • edited 2021-07-20 09:56:22
    This actually came up separately on another social group.  And again, the opinion of the clip was that it was like a YTP, in a bad way.

I asked further, since I haven't seen the movie, and apparently the opinion is that it feels like gratuitous product placement of their intellectual properties, particularly since no characters were recruited from these scenes.  (This is something I can't really tell without having seen the whole thing, though at this point it might be hard for me to take an unbiased, fresh look it, given how much I've already thought about this.)  Also, like how I felt before, cartoon LeBron just feels odd, particularly considering what Space Jam 1 itself was like.

(Meanwhile, I'm still not entirely sure what calica's comment means...)
    I think the idea is that you watch so much YTP that they seem "normal" to you, hence you saw nothing wrong with this scene
  • edited 2021-07-20 20:14:51
    ah

I didn't think YTP when i saw this clip though
    i mean i would agree that it'd be out of place if it were a more serious thing, but it's Looney Tunes, and it's Space Jam, which was already a cross-universe thing between real-life basketball stars and Looney Tunes characters, so this level of wackiness didn't seem out of place at all

though to be fair i haven't actually watched Space Jam in many years so i don't remember exactly how wacky it is, but i do remember it definitely was wacky