The Berenstæin/whatever the fuck Bears meme

2»

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    whatever do hu-mean?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

like, i only have the one universe that i can believe in, that's got to be a more limiting, emptier existence than that of people whose ontologies include ghosts and witches and aliens and fairies and ancient astronauts and horoscopes and psychic powers and international conspiracies and cryptids and Cartesian dualism and a whole pantheon of deities with sometimes contradictory origins

i've sort of tried to build around that, recognize the limitations of my worldview, keep in mind that some beliefs that i thought were well-founded perhaps aren't quite so much as i thought they were (the philosophy of mind thing is a big assumption, for instance, since nobody really knows how consciousness works and i sure don't) . . . i think i have a fairly healthy, sceptical perspective, but it still feels kind of flat compared to people with lots of different, sometimes contradictory worlds that they can believe in, and still simultaneously believe in the material world as well
    This sums up how I feel pretty well.

We have a lot in common besides just the year 1990, it seems.
  • I am skeptical of causality.

There's a Time and a place, I suppose
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Sometimes I envy you for being more into occult and supernatural stuff than I am, Jane.

I'm too much of an Amazing Randi sometimes, aren't I?
    "Just because something doesn't exist, doesn't mean it isn't real."
    Sometimes I've wondered if "They're Real To Me" ought to be the title of Jill Hersheimer's autobiography
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Can't we talk about all remembering Berenstein? I just found out about this and it's scaring the shit out of me. Berenstain is bullshit. Something is wrong here.
    It was always "Berenstain" to me
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I knew it!!!! You're from a different dimension, aren't you, Anonus?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

So depending on who you ask, this is either because (a) you and I are native to the A universe while Miko is from the E universe, or (b) the two of us learned to read when we were 2 and thus were exposed to the "Berenstain" spelling before we were aware that "-stein" was a more common way to end a surname.

The former is definitely the more exciting explanation.
    Anonus said:

same here, though i only encountered the books in the first place relatively recently (due to people referencing them on TVT iirc)
    I vividly remember the E. Vividly! Everyone else around me as a child never disputed that there was an E in that name. The A thing is mind-blowing.
    Presumably, if the theory holds, i am from a third universe where the books never used to exist.
  • bramstram beares
  • actually it's spelled Berambolambolegdaslapdapdoodlywapstein
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    The Butt-Ugly Martians (B.U.M.) are forced to invade planets for the evil Emperor Bog. When they are sent to Earth they become addicted to American culture, deciding not to hurt the earth and simply pretend to be occupying the planet for Bog. They are shown around by their new Earthling friends: Mike, Cedric, and Angela. The Butt-Ugly Martians will continue to hang out on Earth as long as Emperor Bog never finds out. 
  • edited 2015-08-18 00:58:19
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Odradek said:

The Butt-Ugly Martians will continue to hang out on Earth as long as Emperor Bog never finds out. 

this sounds like the premise of a sci-fi Shasta McNasty
    i can remember nothing about that show besides the character designs

so the SF Shasta McNasty concept is probably more interesting than the actual content of B.U.M.
    I don't think B.U.M. had dummies flying out of windows that the show saw fit to inform us were dummies despite it being plainly obvious
    no but i'm imagining that paired with the B.U.M. characters and animation and the mental image is delightfully stupid
  • I remember it as "Berenstain". I also remember finding the books cute but I don't remember much about what happened in them.
  • This whole thing reeks of hypocrisy is all, some people are now talking about Berenstain bears in a way you don't enjoy, and that honestly pisses you off, like. it doesn't really matter how "Real" this stuff is to them, or how much they're doing it just as a meme, this is the way they choose to interact with it and you've literally decided to judge it as "Stupid and annoying"

how can you make posts about you're so afraid that what you're doing is "wrong" that you're afraid you're just invested in "annoying and stupid shit" and then not see that 
    I don't really think this one is worth revisiting.
This discussion has been closed.