The sales receipt for the iPod Nano I got in 2008

I stumbled across it while I was cleaning out my closet as part of my packing

I got this iPod as a belated 18th birthday gift

My only regret is not going for the pink one

Comments

• edited 2021-05-24 04:28:34
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

In case anybody was wondering: Yes, I still have the iPod, and yes, it still works!

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Ohio is for lovers
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    One thing I noticed after posting this is that the Apple Store at Easton Town Center isn't even at that address anymore

They moved further down The Strand in the early '10s
  • For some reason I'm imagining a store whose address either keeps drifting over time or whose address keeps changing every time someone thinks about its address
  • Ipod Nanos are awesome, and that documentation is super neat, and you should keep it.  It's a survivor, having persisted while so many others like it didn't.
  • edited 2021-05-28 05:31:34
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    My first iPod—and, actually, my first MP3 player in general—was a silver second-gen iPod Mini, with a 4 GB hard drive

And yes: I still have that one too!

That the 16-year-old spinny hard drive in this still works fine after the abuse I put it through as a teenager is a testament to just how well these things were built
  • edited 2021-05-28 02:31:32
    there's a spinny hard drive inside this tiny portable device?  sheesh
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's actually an interesting example of how quickly technology was progressing back then.

When the iPod Mini came out in 2004, flash memory was still very expensive, so to get the 4 GB in a reasonably affordable device, they used a tiny mechanical hard disk drive.

But less than two years later, flash storage had come down enough in price that Apple discontinued the iPod Mini in favor of the iPod Nano, which had comparable storage capacity but used flash memory instead of a spinny drive.

(The iPod Classic line, featuring much larger storage capacities, continued to use spinny hard drives until the line was discontinued altogether in 2014.)