The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Today, on Judging Very Similar Things with Aliroz, we have the gunbarrel sequences from James Bond movies.

What the heck, The World Is Not Enough, you in some kinda hurry to get somewhere that you have to walk uncomfortably fast?

Also, check out those pants and knee-bending on The Spy Who Loved Me, a movie where apparently you have to hold your gun with both hands and squat like you're playing baseball or something.  I mean, sure, A View To A Kill is very similar, but he does this slight relaxation of his shoulder that makes him look .0000001% more relaxed, and so it doesn't get made fun of even though it's probably the same footage and my eyes are seeing nuances where there aren't any, and the circle turns into a helicopter, which, other than a coffin, is the best possible opening-circle-turn-into for this kind of movie.

License to Kill is just The Living Daylights if it swallowed some helium and put on the wrong music by mistake, and The Man With The Golden Gun sabotages its excellent walk cycle and pose by having the blood look like jam.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service is just kind of sad, poor dude fades out of the picture when the blood covers that part of the image, what's up with that?

Also, what's up with dude not wearing hats starting with Live and Let Die?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Somehow, watching all of these one after another just makes them seem even more silly than they already were.
  • edited 2021-04-24 05:37:09
    The early ones seem generally sillier, though some of them are better.

I think the more modern ones have better timing, in contrast having to really switch pose a lot just in order to do the shot.  Also, arm movement after shooting looks kinda weird.

Also I noticed that in some you can see the gun in his right hand before he shoots, but in others you can't.

The black "iconization" of the figure in the very last one matches best with the overall feel of the scene, how it's supposed to be iconic rather than realistic.  However, it's not my favorite one.  I think the ones where there's just a brief pop of light from the gun are the best in my opinion.

Also, why was there that "rewind" and replacement of music?
  • James bond should have stayed in the cold war setting,modern times don't suit it really
  • edited 2021-04-24 20:22:46
    Which is your favorite one, Glenn?  (Mine is On Her Majesty's Secret Service).

Ponyhead:  True, isn't there one where Bond's boss calls him a fossil from the cold war or something?

In any case, Spy Fox > James Bond.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Honestly Bond doesn't actually make sense in a Cold War context. He's a terrible spy, he tells everyone his name, draws attention, and gets bored easily and makes trouble as a result.

This is because his inventor, Ian Fleming designed him after the special ops guys he supervised during WWII/his cousin Christopher Lee: Bond's virtues(loyal, good in a fight whether it's with his fist or a gun, and not overly concerned with his own life) are awful in a cold war spy but good in a guy you're sending into Nazi territory for cloak and dagger stuff.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

You ever think about how mobile phones gradually went from being devices that performed only a single function (telephone calls) to being tiny pocket-sized general-purpose computers?

It’s kind of weird.

• Ali_Roz said:

Which is your favorite one, Glenn?  (Mine is On Her Majesty's Secret Service).

I'm not sure I have a specific favorite, actually, though I do have some preferences, as I described earlier.
  • You ever think about how mobile phones gradually went from being devices that performed only a single function (telephone calls) to being tiny pocket-sized general-purpose computers?

It’s kind of weird.

rip Radio Shack and other electronics stores
  • Never say never say never
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • edited 2021-04-29 21:57:24

if I'm lucky I'll get my first one in a month and the second one in august

as a low-risk 27-year-old, I'll be eligible may 24

which makes "in a month" from this post an underestimate even if I'm extremely optimistic about how quickly I get an appointment, but the fact that it shouldn't be much more than a month now is still somehow the best news I've gotten all year
  • this thread reminds me that i meant to watch Skyfall for a while now
    teaming up to disrupt society!
    “The sheriff office’s livestock unit” is a much funnier noun phrase than it has any right to be
  • teaming up to disrupt society!

I wouldn't normally, but messing up traffic is my jam.
    brick
  • edited 2021-05-03 00:41:46
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

I feel like I finally understand that line in “La Vie Boheme” from Rent:

“To being an us for once, instead of a them!”

It so perfectly encapsulates the feeling of having been “othered” by society your whole life, only to finally find a place where you and your fellow misfits can feel like a coherent, functional community

you ever want to be a bohemian?

I always wanted to be a bohemian
  • La Vie Boheme
  • edited 2021-05-06 23:48:45
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Few things anger me in quite the same way as an impatient driver honking at me for obeying traffic laws.

Yes, I can see that it would be safe to turn right on red. But I also see the sign that says NO TURN ON RED 7 AM–4 PM, and it's only 3:20 in the afternoon.

Fuck all the way off.

• I endorse your opinion on this.
    fair enough
  • invade Bohemia
    no u
  • Hungrey declares war on Thirsty

If this forum were more active, I would try to see if we could get a Markdown parser in here

Like, HTML is fine, I’ve been using HTML for well over 20 years now, but Discord has spoiled me with the elegance and simplicity of Markdown

• edited 2021-05-09 14:39:06
    I don't think you can even use HTML natively without enabling Show Source?

<i>italic</i>

Edit: Yep. you have to click that button for HTML to work.

Anyway i'm still surprised that (if I recall correctly) somehow you and I have ended up on two sides regarding BBCode vs. Markdown.

• [10:28 PM] [USERNAME REDACTED] 

For Pittsburgh museums, the Heinz Musuem is much better than Fort Pitt

is this true?
    never been to either

go to the science center, that one is good
  • Having been to two Pittsburgh museums, choosing between them is like choosing between virtues, or which colors you want to be able to see, or between my nonexistent non-estranged children*.  They are all good and deserve much love.

*As opposed to my nonexistent estranged children, which are numerous and all adopted.
    SWIPER NO SWIPING
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Ponyhead said:

argle bargle

Hargle-Argle Television
  • I swiped all the cookies and all your favorite snacks 
  • so, why did she glue marbles to her old CDs?

so, why did she glue marbles to her old CDs?

Do not ask questions you could not possibly comprehend the answers to, mortal.
  • he's no mere mortal,his names are countless his age beyond recogning 
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

so, why did she glue marbles to her old CDs?

Do not ask questions you could not possibly comprehend the answers to, mortal.
    so, why did she glue marbles to her old CDs
    I am a sovereign princess who has traveled here from among the stars, a distance beyond human comprehension. I do not answer to the Moon.
    then no dessert tonight for you
    It's like you want me to throw a tantrum

Don't try me

I can be a 4-year-old whenever I choose
  • but can you be a -1-year-old whenever you choose?
    I’ll do you one better. I can be a √(-1)-year-old whenever I choose!
  • It's my sister's birthday today!
    Happy birthday to your sister!