The Death of a Horrendous Logo

It finally fucking happened

It's GONE

IT'S GOING BYE-BYE

ARRIVEDERCI YOU FUCKING MESS OF A LOGO I HAVE WANTED YOU GONE SINCE I WAS FIVE YEARS OLD AND NOW...

The dream has come true!

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You are WAY more excited about this than even I thought you would be!
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Looks very "retro"

I approve
  • They basically just went back to their old logo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger_King (see the old logos on the side)

I feel like I remember there being an old logo but for some reason I didn't recognize it.  Maybe I was too young and hadn't gone to Burger King much at that point.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

They basically just went back to their old logo

Hmm, no, it's actually significantly different.

image  image

Like, it's clearly inspired by the pre-1994 logo, but it's actually been redrawn entirely.
    the burger has become more thicc
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

They basically just went back to their old logo

Hmm, no, it's actually significantly different.

image  image

Like, it's clearly inspired by the pre-1994 logo, but it's actually been redrawn entirely.

it more closely resembles the 1994 logo
    imageimage
    ...yeah, I see what you mean.

The lettering is kind of a mix of the 1969 and 1994 versions though
  • ah, burger king finally upgraded from windows xp

ah, burger king finally upgraded from windows xp

the previous logo was introduced in 1999
    XP was released in 2001
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    …the previous one really wasn't that bad, though.

I never liked it

It's busy, overwrought, and an unnecessary replacement for its perfectly good predecessor

Which also had better colors
    It bothers me so much that the 1994 logo only lasted five years
  • Anonus said:

ah, burger king finally upgraded from windows xp

the previous logo was introduced in 1999
    I just meant the aesthetic

I'm...gonna disagree. It's pretty awful. The pointless swoosh, the "shiny" bun, etc...it basically exemplifies every bad logo tend of the late '90s/early '00s
    shiny bun
  • Yeah this one needed to happen

They pulled a Pizza Hut and it’s all the better for it. Maybe now they can get the food back on track and then... we shall see if it is worth having it our way once more
    Tre said:

Yeah this one needed to happen

They pulled a Pizza Hut and it’s all the better for it. Maybe now they can get the food back on track and then... we shall see if it is worth having it our way once more

Who knows

Not sure if Restaurant Brands International is interested in that
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

I'm...gonna disagree. It's pretty awful. The pointless swoosh, the "shiny" bun, etc...it basically exemplifies every bad logo tend of the late '90s/early '00s

The thing is, there really is so very much worse. Also, while this is less obvious when you're eating, like, a Whopper than a burger at a nice casual restaurant, what the shine is meant to evoke is how there is, in the baking of many buns, a light coating of egg white applied beforehand to create a harder, lightly shiny crust. So it's not the level of truth in advertising one might prefer, but it makes some sense.

Either way, I dunno, it's not offensive enough to bother me and make me cheer for its replacement. It's the sign for an inexpensive burger joint. It's too much emotional investment for something which barely even matters.
    I mean, treating it like some great evil has been vanquished is silly, that's true enough

I just think the old logo is really, really ugly and unappealing
    Also, as Tre noted with the Pizza Hut comparison, it's notable in that it seems to be part of a trend of replacing a brand's Edgy Late '90s Logo with a refined version of its predecessor
    the 90s are finally over
  • on the other hand:

the 90s are finally over

:(

It's the sign for an inexpensive burger joint. It's too much emotional investment for something which barely even matters.

so?

the 90s are finally over

lamentably

although...

Also, as Tre noted with the Pizza Hut comparison, it's notable in that it seems to be part of a trend of replacing a brand's Edgy Late '90s Logo with a refined version of its predecessor

one thing to say about the '90s is that there were lots of NEW things then

hypocritical coming from me of all people but like

we as a culture are drunk on nostalgia

of course, going backwards could well help Burger King given how badly they've declined on every front lately, but...
  • i still like BK more than McD currently
    Wendy's 4ever
  • I have been to very few burger kings in my life

the one near campus fucking sucks but I feel like it may not be a typical example
    BK has always been pretty mediocre in my experience

BK has always been pretty mediocre in my experience

Their chicken tenders (before they were crown-shaped), fries, their barbecue sauce...

The limited-time items like Green Slime Apple Dipping Sauce (from the Nickelodeon Back to School promotion in 1999 - I still have my purple airplane pencil pouch!) and Shake ‘Em Up Fries (2002)...

They were so good
    well, all right
    I am a Wendy's loyalist, and not just because they're from my hometown
    -hoofbump-
  • edited 2021-01-13 00:30:57
    Burger King has good cheap chicken nuggets a value menu comparable to/better than McD's and also a load of coupons I can use which can get me fries and sandwiches easily

Arby's has some sliders I'm interested in trying, but I usually only get its signature roast beef sandwiches when I have a coupon.  Coupons are available reasonably often, though I haven't visited it much.

Wendy's I know mainly for their chili; their value menu is sorta meh.  Also doesn't have that many coupons.

McD's value menu is the standard of comparison, since I've known it the longest.  There's some good stuff on there, but I feel I can get more of my money's worth of good food elsewhere.  Their coupons are uncommon.

Taco Bell I used to order regularly since they (1) offered a couple menu items (Black Bean Burrito and 7-Layer Burrito) for reasonably cheap which (when I got both) could make for a semi-decent meal in a pinch, and (2) 

I've had some Steak and Shake before thanks to their coupons, though they lack a value menu and their food is more diner-speed rather than fast-food speed.

My current fave is Pollo Tropical.  I like this more than most other fast food because I can get a meal of rice, veggies, and a meat, and they also offer unlimited amounts of sauce toppings (I hope they still do, though with the pandemic I'm not sure anymore).

Chipotle is like a slightly inferior version of Pollo Tropical.  They have burrito bowls, but typically I prefer getting a burrito since there's less waste material afterwards (read: less trash I have to hang onto if I'm on the go).  Their meals are more expensive than Pollo Tropical's, but they also provide a starch base and veggies, along with cheese, sour cream, and...oh, no meat, because if I get the vegetarian options, I get free guac, and that is more important than meat.  That said, if I go to Chipotle during off-peak hours, their operation is usually super fast and gets me food in a jiffy.  So they're great for that.

I will typically also patronize local Chinese fast food places, generally getting their lunch combos, which are comparable in price to Chipotle's offerings, though I usually have to call ahead of time if I want to pick up stuff immediately upon arrival.  They offer a much greater variety of foods than just my standard Chipotle order though.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I strongly associate the old logo with Toy Story for some reason. 

Also, it seems like BK was so much better back in 1989-1990, when I was 12, than it is now. Not sure why that is.
    because you were 12.
  • its very burger king of them to get rid of the overly glossy early 00s look just as that look is starting to be kind of cool again
  • edited 2021-01-18 15:19:59

sunn wolf said:

its very burger king of them to get rid of the overly glossy early 00s look just as that look is starting to be kind of cool again

yeah, new logo that immediately looks 2 years old
  • I don’t blame ‘em for dropping the 1999 one. Some things can be saved and some things... cannot

I also mentioned it in my Discord server, but regarding BK themselves: the quality thereof seems to, perhaps more than any of the other fast food chains, rely on whether or not the franchisees give a shit

I suppose they’re making an effort to up the quality of the food across the board (introducing plant based burgers and allegedly getting rid of the artificial ingredients in their products), but the company itself definitely appears to take a much more hands-off approach compared to some of their competitors, resulting in vastly different experiences depending on which locations you’re visiting/where you’re from, etc.
  • Tre said:

I don’t blame ‘em for dropping the 1999 one. Some things can be saved and some things... cannot

I also mentioned it in my Discord server, but regarding BK themselves: the quality thereof seems to, perhaps more than any of the other fast food chains, rely on whether or not the franchisees give a shit

I suppose they’re making an effort to up the quality of the food across the board (introducing plant based burgers and allegedly getting rid of the artificial ingredients in their products), but the company itself definitely appears to take a much more hands-off approach compared to some of their competitors, resulting in vastly different experiences depending on which locations you’re visiting/where you’re from, etc.

yesquote
    sunn wolf said:

its very burger king of them to get rid of the overly glossy early 00s look just as that look is starting to be kind of cool again

I've been waiting for this since 1999 and if it took '80s nostalgia to get rid of it then SO BE IT
    Also I'm on Team-BK-Was-Better-When-I-Was-A-Kid
    Somehow nobody commented on it yet, but: I also think the lettering in the 1999 logo is very ugly

Like, look at how some of the corners are rounded and others aren't, and there doesn't seem to be any consistent pattern to it

Somehow nobody commented on it yet, but: I also think the lettering in the 1999 logo is very ugly

Like, look at how some of the corners are rounded and others aren't, and there doesn't seem to be any consistent pattern to it

god

is that responsible for this nu-Keedy Sans trend
    it's edgy, it refuses to follow expectations

very 90s
    This is what Keedy Sans looks like, if anyone was curious

It's still not as bad as Dead History, though!