The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Welcome to CompuServe

You have mail
  • It's my sister's birthday today!

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Happy birthday, Aliroz's sister!
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    happy birthday gatorsis
  • drove 50 minutes just to get a beef rendang today. worth it
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    “Oh, I'm die. Thank you forever.” – Inugami Korone, 2020
    she was very calm about it.
    Update: I'm finally getting around to watching the collab that line was from
  • “Oh, I'm die. Thank you forever.” – Inugami Korone, 2020

I'm heaven
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Good doggo. :3
    Observation: You can buy a pack of 14 Christmas cards for $1 at Dollar Tree

That works out to a little over 7¢ per card

A postage stamp costs 55¢

So ultimately, you pay far more to mail the card than you did for the card itself
    not surprising
    Gosh, there's an entire generation now who grew up with "Forever" stamps, isn't there?

Zoomers will never know the struggle of having to buy a sheet of 1¢ stamps because you have an entire book of 32¢ stamps and they just raised the postage price to 33¢
  • edited 2020-12-09 18:17:17
    im not a zoomer and I bought stamps literally for the first time this year
    OK, so like...yesterday was the first time I, personally, have ever bought stamps, but, like, I remember my parents using stamps a lot when I was a child.

Also, while we're on the subject, do you ever find yourself doing an "adult" thing for the first time and you just wander through it completely clueless?

Like, I needed stamps to mail my Christmas cards, so I just walked up to the Kroger customer service desk all like...

Me: ...Do you sell stamps here?

Clerk: Yes.

Me: ...

Clerk: ...

Me: I would like to buy some stamps.

Clerk: We only sell them in a book of 20. Is that OK?

Me: Yes.
    Reverse the "Me" and "Clerk" and you have a situation I was in a zillion times
    meaning, I was the clerk
    and they were the customer
    moo
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    meanwhile here I am thinking about Michael Doret's fruit stamps
  • OK, so like...yesterday was the first time I, personally, have ever bought stamps, but, like, I remember my parents using stamps a lot when I was a child.

Also, while we're on the subject, do you ever find yourself doing an "adult" thing for the first time and you just wander through it completely clueless?

Like, I needed stamps to mail my Christmas cards, so I just walked up to the Kroger customer service desk all like...

Me: ...Do you sell stamps here?

Clerk: Yes.

Me: ...

Clerk: ...

Me: I would like to buy some stamps.

Clerk: We only sell them in a book of 20. Is that OK?

Me: Yes.
    Oh yeah, my experience was much the same. Also the reason I needed the stamps was because my new landlord is from the stone age and wants rent in the form of mailed cheques. So I also had to figure out how to write a cheque lmao.
    my mom doesn't believe that people generally don't write checks/cheques anymore
  • Only time I've written checks was for driving lessions
    I've written a check exactly once in my life: when I cancelled my Time Warner Cable service and they immediately deactivated my account so I couldn't pay the final bill online.

Our landlord demands money orders for some reason, so that's cool and fun and good.
  • edited 2020-12-11 22:19:58
    I've paid rent in checks before.  As well as other things.

Many things are done via e-checks nowadays though.  Or Zelle/Venmo/Paypal.
    In a civilized world, landlords wouldn't be a thing.

But in a slightly-less-civilized-than-that-but-still-more-civilized-than-ours world, there would be regulations in place requiring landlords to accept electronic payment methods for rent.
  • mxney xrder
  • See when the new owner first bought the building I didn't even have a chequebook, so I had to order one and it ended up not arriving in time. So I told the property manager that I couldn't provide a cheque on time, and she sure was happy enough to take an e-transfer THAT month...
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I can't remember the last time I even saw a cheque.
    Back when my mother worked for the bank, we had a joint account so I could take advantage of all her employee perks, one of which was free checks. So I ordered checks with my name on them, and proceeded to...write just the one, just the once. But at least it made me feel like a grown-up. Wait, is that a good thing?
    Every so often, I'm reminded that the basic conceit of Sailor Moon is "what if superheroines, but in outfits inspired by school uniforms?"
  • edited 2020-12-12 18:15:29
    I opened my bank account with enough money that they gave me like six free books of checks for joining.  I haven't even used up one book yet, but I've definitely used some checks.

Since then I've downgraded my checking account...and kept the checkbooks.  lol

And unlike the last few times I've had bank accounts which I had to close because I moved away from where they were located, I've actually kept this bank account.
  • youtube is down and EVERYONE is panicing 
    It's Christmas Eve, Weaiterman

It sure is, Chef

In mere hours, Satna claus will be descending thorugh my chimeny to replenish my supply of coal

Wait, all you ever get from Santa claus is coal?

I mean, eyeah
    Why, do other people get other things?

last Christmas I got an xBox One

Lousy cheapstake. He should have at least sprung for an XBox Two.

I don't think Sxobx TWo is a thing, Che3f.

I guess we'll have to make it our selves then!

I don't know how to make video game Consoles, Chef

Luckily, I do!

Let's get started, then!

OK, so first, sautee the CPU and RAM chips in butter
    Then add cheese, and also salt

I don't think this is how Microsoft does it, Chef

Who's the Chef here?

Are you even, like, a real chef, Chef? Like, in the legal sense?

What are you, the Cuyahoga County Baord of Health?

You know wht? Never mind.
    Merry Christasm, CHef.

Merry Christmas to you too, Watierman!

And a happy new year!

Following a very sad old year.
    Christasm
  • Christmas Assembly Language
  • satna baby.... descending thorugh my chimeny for me
    and Happy Decemberween!
  • > Decemberween

The other day I found myself thinking, shouldn't Christmas Eve be abbreviated Christmaseen?
    Decemberween is the perfect parody of that trope you see in a lot of fiction where it's like "Oh, in our world the characters celebrate a holiday that observes all the secular traditions of Christmas, but we call it something else because we want to avoid the religious association"

I fell into that trap myself for a while with Centralia, trying to turn it into some generic Winter Solstice holiday instead, but I eventually realized it's just easier to say "Christmas" by default
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    meanwhile you keep on with National Novembing Day
    National Novembing Day is funny, that's why
  • edited 2020-12-25 18:32:39

Decemberween is the perfect parody of that trope you see in a lot of fiction where it's like "Oh, in our world the characters celebrate a holiday that observes all the secular traditions of Christmas, but we call it something else because we want to avoid the religious association"

I fell into that trap myself for a while with Centralia, trying to turn it into some generic Winter Solstice holiday instead, but I eventually realized it's just easier to say "Christmas" by default
    why not just Yule lol

edit: i mean why don't they just use Yule instead
    it's not like it even needs to be culturally accurate, considering how much Christmas itself has mutated
  • anyway
    time for the SECRET DECEMBERWEEN GIFT EXCHANGE!!

i put each of our names into this LION'S MOUTH.

Imipolex G, you choose first
    uhhhhhh
  • fine then

you don't get any presents
    ok
  • I WANT PRESENTS!  I WANT PRESENTS!  CANNONBALL!