The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    At some point I went from being so ashamed of my childhood trauma that I wouldn't talk about it even to Lexi, to being so at peace with my childhood trauma that I casually drop anecdotes when I'm in the company of people I feel comfortable around.

Is that better or worse? I don't know.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    What's interesting about this change is that it seems to have happened right around the time that I started exclusively using my real name and never my birth name

It's easier to own my past as what made me the person I am now than it is to own it as the person I used to pretend to be
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    makes sense
  • for what it's worth this is still a public thread i think
    I am aware. You know, admin and all.

If there's someone out there lurking this forum without an account just to gather "dirt" on me, they're even more pathetic than I am, so...have at it.
    pantaloons
    What if a goddess appeared before you and offered you the sum total of all human knowledge...but it was on a MiniDisc, and you had no way to play it back?
    who cares, I have wikipedia for that
    …Would Wikipedia fit on an MD Data disc? Not the original 140 MB one, surely, but maybe one of the MD Data 2 ones that held 650 MB? I feel like with enough compression you might be able to get the text on there. No images, though.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

What if a goddess appeared before you and offered you the sum total of all human knowledge...but it was on a MiniDisc, and you had no way to play it back?

wouldn't there be future knowledge not on the MiniDisc?
    Oh, you have a point, Anonus.
  • edited 2020-11-28 22:37:57
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

…Would Wikipedia fit on an MD Data disc? Not the original 140 MB one, surely, but maybe one of the MD Data 2 ones that held 650 MB? I feel like with enough compression you might be able to get the text on there. No images, though.

Apparently the compressed size of English Wikipedia as of last month is roughly 18.9GB, so (with an uncompressed size of 43GB of text back in 2013). Wikimedia was over 23TB uncompressed as of 2014.
    Well, I was way off.

Fossilmaiden wins this round.
    The uptick in forum activity we had in late September–early October seems to have died down already

That's a shame; I was hoping it'd last
    and the heap sleeps again
    The only thing I kind of dislike about my iPad: No expandable storage.

I'm stuck with the internal 32 GB, and it's almost full.
  • > and the heap sleeps again

It needs a wake up slap and sometimes a kick
  • edited 2020-11-30 22:22:40
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I can appreciate November snow a lot more when I don't have any reason to leave the house, hahaha
    I broke my glasses frames. Fun times.
    :O
    So I looked online for cheap pairs of glasses, and it turns out I could order a pair for like $10 with the prescription I have from January 2019.

But all the places online that sell really cheap glasses also say it would take about two weeks to actually get them here, which would put us in mid-December.

Why is that a problem? Because my health insurance's vision benefits go by calendar year, and on January 1st I'm eligible to get an eye exam (and thus an updated prescription) and a new pair of glasses, without paying anything out of pocket.

So I guess I'm just going to wear my shitty pair of glasses from 4 years ago for the month of December, then get myself a proper pair in January when my insurance resets.
    it'll be the longest December
    Our housemate Kevin glued the frames back together, so I will be able to wear my most recent pair again, at least for now.

There's a high likelihood that I wake up tomorrow, forget all about this, and forget to handle my glasses with care, resulting in my breaking them again. We'll see, I guess.
    Sometimes I wish my eyes just worked right to begin with, though I feel like being able to see clearly at all times without outside help would be kind of terrifying
    it's not so bad
    Things I wish someone would invent: a modem/router that doesn't just randomly drop the connection every so often
    I did make a joke elsewhere about buying Homura's glasses, hahaha
  • you wouldn't hit a man with glassess 
  • edited 2020-12-03 23:28:00
    -deleted-
  • also it's Cincinnati lol
  • -Resolves to found a town, name it Cincinatti, and make sure it has a baseball team named the reds, then send everything back in time so as to prevent my own typos.-
  • 7/10 interesting use of time machine; would rate again
    There isn't a lot that can make me feel old nowadays—I've basically decided that my destiny is to forever be a child—but god damn, Quinton Reviews referring to the 2000s as "the early Internet" is absolutely killing me.
    I personally think of the late 90s as being "the early internet"
    Like, from a historical point of view, I suppose "early Internet" would be around the time in the very early '90s when companies like AOL and CompuServe first offered Internet access as part of their subscription services and the Internet became accessible to the layperson for the first time

To my Millennial mind, though, I think of the mid-'90s as "the early Internet" because that's when I started using it
  • The 90s internet really was the first time the internet really became mass-accessible.
  • aww,now I wonder what the deleted post was about
    Mark your calendars: March 15th, 2021 marks the 10th anniversary of this website you are currently reading this sentence on.
    anniversary party
    At this rate, by March 2021, we'll all be anime girls
    sounds good
  • dont let your drams be dreams
  • Ponyhead said:

dont let your drams be dreams

glenlivet's new slogan