heaper's's hang out uplift and or gentrification (?) suggestions thread

starting things off with:

Google Ad-Sense

I want my heaping experience to have as many cookies as possible too. Can we make the avatars be round, and make the way you crop the thumbnails feel even more weird and counterintuitive. we should, in the name of 90's and or early 2000s nostalgia, have signature space below the posts, but to keep things fresh we should be able to put popular and racist new emotes in them, like "p*gchamp." straightforward interface for posting low-quality gifs collected by some shadowy aggregator from the depths of long deleted tumblrs.

thank you.

Comments

• im doing ok, shocked i forgot "DARK MODE" though
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I actually kind of love this thread. You basically nailed every annoying trend of the late '10s web UI design.
  • maybe I'm just lame but I've never been bothered by most of this.

Google AdSense yes. The gif thing kind of but mostly because Tenor and the like tend to have absolutely horrible search filters.

The move to circular avatars just always struck me as kind of weird and I still wanna know what meeting between old white men happened that caused it to come about. Did someone arbitrarily decide that circles are "friendlier"?
  • My dreams exceed my real life

I actually kind of love this thread. You basically nailed every annoying trend of the late '10s web UI design.

She forgot making archives really fucking annoying to search

Archives used to be easy to search, believe it or not. 
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Circular avatars never made any sense to me, because, like...even if you're out-of-touch enough with actual Internet users that you assume most people will want to use an actual photo of themselves as a profile picture...those images are still going to be rectangular. Cameras don't take circular photos.

Dark mode is something I don't entirely get, either. Like, I don't begrudge anyone for using dark mode, or even for preferring it to light mode, but personally I just...don't see a point to it? Maybe if I were using an OLED display at night, but on LCDs it's gonna be backlit with LEDs anyways, which to my eyes kind of negates any benefit to using the dimmer theme at night.
  • idk brighter web themes do genuinely kinda hurt my eyes.

I just wish more sites were broadly modular with this stuff so you could just pick what colors you wanted to use. This is one of the few things Tumblr is okay at (although it's a recent development there)
    So, as far as I can tell, web developers have been laying the framework for sites that have both a "light mode" and a "dark mode" to, like...detect whether the operating system is in "light mode" or "dark mode" and adjust accordingly

Which seems like a good idea to me; it's way less tedious than having to manually choose a theme on every website that offers it
  • I'm too out of it to phrase this in a snappily sarcastic way but the thing that bothers me most about the modern internet is how people constantly surrender random shit to Nazis because they've "claimed" it. I learned yesterday that people now consider calling someone a clown an alt-right thing.
  • So, as far as I can tell, web developers have been laying the framework for sites that have both a "light mode" and a "dark mode" to, like...detect whether the operating system is in "light mode" or "dark mode" and adjust accordingly

Which seems like a good idea to me; it's way less tedious than having to manually choose a theme on every website that offers it

tbh this seems like something that will eventually be used to serve you ads or some shit
  • i use lights out + yello twittbler it's really nice, very "smexy."
  • So, as far as I can tell, web developers have been laying the framework for sites that have both a "light mode" and a "dark mode" to, like...detect whether the operating system is in "light mode" or "dark mode" and adjust accordingly

tbh this seems like something that will eventually be used to serve you ads or some shit
    yeah
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I like dark mode and would entirely be in support of dark mode

just sayin
    You're not wrong, but at this point I've basically resigned myself to the expectation that any cool new technology that comes along will either be used to serve you ads or be used to collect personal information about you to be sold to advertisers

25 years of Internet use seems to have made me a bit cynical in some regards, I suppose
  • I like dark mode and would entirely be in support of dark mode

just sayin
    yeah same
  • I find the change between Dark mode and light mode too drastic,my eyes are happy with the devault 
  • i mean you wouldnt have to use it if you didnt want,
  • I would like HH Dark Mode it would be fun
    now it's dark
    "Haha funny she switched the theme" silliness aside, I do think it would be a neat idea to have user-selectable themes instead of the admin having to choose one globally.

That said, it'd be WAY down my priority list at this point. We're still several versions behind on Vanilla itself and I'd want to update to the latest one before we go tackle any further customization.
  • the small bar at the top should descend as you scroll down in an extremely clunky and awkward manner;
  • infinite scroll
  • the ability to post stories
    pig chump (also known as a police officer)
  • idk brighter web themes do genuinely kinda hurt my eyes.

I just wish more sites were broadly modular with this stuff so you could just pick what colors you wanted to use. This is one of the few things Tumblr is okay at (although it's a recent development there)
    i've got the opposite tastes, as basically everything i run is in a de facto light mode except game launchers which are stuck in dark mode.  (this might have something to do with my having a touchscreen which is way more reflective than non-touchscreens apparently)

but i definitely support the idea that things should offer more options in this regard.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    p********
    I actually quite adore dark themes because often light themes are too bright for my eyes and especially at night, so dark mode hh would be cool.
    sunn wolf said:

infinite scroll

Not gonna lie I always liked that too, if it was optional.
  • Crystal said:

p********

we should add this too
    *******p
  • edited 2020-11-18 19:41:07
    Something I just noticed.

I'm sitting here on my laptop.  Screen is turned down to pretty low brightness.  There is daytime ambient light, though I am not near a window.

Most of what I do is on light theme.  That includes such things as browsing HH, using Notepad, using MS Word/LibreOffice Writer and MS Excel/LibreOffice Calc, reading my e-mail, using Discord, and browsing my files.  This all seems to work okay.  It's not too bright either.

I go to the Steam forums or start up Steam.  Steam has a dark theme, and no way to get a light theme, for its client and its website.  (Same thing applies to GOG Galaxy, though the GOG website allows choosing between light and dark modes.)  I can now see my own reflection in the screen.  It's readable, but not comfortable.

I turn up the brightness.  Now Steam looks okay.  I can still see my reflection somewhat, but the contrast between the dark backgrounds of Steam and the brighter words can be made out more easily.  It's more comfortable to read it.

I now switch back to any app with a light background.  Oh gosh it is *bright*.  My first reaction is to turn down the brightness again.
    My least favorite "feature" of the modern Intel Graphics drivers is that they enable a "feature" by default that dims the screen when you're looking at a dark mode app and brightens the screen when you're looking at a light mode app

I'm a control freak. I will be adjusting the brightness of my display manually, thank you very much
    I did the snarky "feature" in quotes twice, didn't I

I'm gonna leave it that way because it's kinda funny
  • I don't think I have that.  At least, it's not something I've noticed, if it's there.

But yeah, that sounds annoying.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Bumping this to say that I still remember when the default background color in pretty much every browser was NEXTSTEP gray.
    dark mode
  • edited 2021-07-26 18:29:25

I'm a control freak. I will be adjusting the brightness of my display manually, thank you very much
    come to notice it i'm surprised you're saying this when you're also berating me for being distrustful of windows updates lol