ask sunn wolf any thing

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    what's your favorite sunn album
  • probably monoliths & dimensions tho i’malso partial to their collaboration with boris, sun baked snow cave. honestly haven’t listened to em in a while. the username actually came from tdep originally
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Who is your favorite princess, fictional or otherwise?
    Monoliths and Dimensions is probably my choice too so, -hoofbump-
  • Who is your favorite wolf, fictional or otherwise?
  • Who is your favorite princess, fictional or otherwise?

of course princess alice. not many other princesses are springing to mind im sure there’s some badass one i like somewhere in shakespeare but i cant remember

Who is your favorite wolf, fictional or otherwise?

perhaps the wolf from princess mononoke
  • sunn wolf said:

probably monoliths & dimensions tho i’malso partial to their collaboration with boris, sun baked snow cave. honestly haven’t listened to em in a while. the username actually came from tdep originally

oh that was the boris and merzbow album lol
    the sunn/boris album is Altar, which is pretty good imo
  • they’re both good albums
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    God forgive me for my sins, but I've become a metalhead, so my first inclination was to ask you your thoughts on other glacially slow experimental blackened doom bands like Hell, Bunkur, Khanate, Mizmor, Black Boned Angel, Gnaw, the usual suspects. Also I guess weird molasses-slow death/doom and funeral doom like Ehnahre and Wormphlegm. You know, the good shit.
    you ever hear Buried At Sea - Migration

pretty darn heavy
  • is there a moonn wolf
  • God forgive me for my sins, but I've become a metalhead, so my first inclination was to ask you your thoughts on other glacially slow experimental blackened doom bands like Hell, Bunkur, Khanate, Mizmor, Black Boned Angel, Gnaw, the usual suspects. Also I guess weird molasses-slow death/doom and funeral doom like Ehnahre and Wormphlegm. You know, the good shit.

i know khanate and pretty sure i listened to ehnahre and gnaw at some point. khanate is def good but dont remember much about the other two. honestly i hvent sat down nd listened to metal in a while?? ive gone too far down the techno/house rabbit hole past couple of years. i feel as though im always looking to find something new musically which has meant my taste has gone all over the place, from being super into prog/experimental rock and metal, getting into drone and ambient, then nxc and the weirder edges of edm, and now here i am mostly listening to techno (which i actually had dipped into a lil bit purely to appreciate the textural side of it back when i was lstening to ambient). i wonder if i am going to end up listening to something totally different again in a couple of years or if i will settle on this. getting paid to dj it helps anyway lol

i also do wonder if the slow-yet-heavy funeral doom thing could be replicated w electronics. i tried myself once. just a track with sparse echoey synths eventually going into a very slow 4/4 kick and sub with some very quiet distorted stuff going on in the high end. felt like it didnt quite work. maybe i could give it another shot if i go back to producing things.

this answer got kinda rambly so im gonna say drop me a link to your best weird doom thing you think i havent heard and ill check it

you ever hear Buried At Sea - Migration

pretty darn heavy

dont know if this was aimed at sredni or me but, i will answer it, since this is the thred for me to answer,things: nope

is there a moonn wolf

there are three
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    What are some good books
  • Odradek said:

What are some good books

milorad pavic- dictionary of the khazars
    italo calvino - invisible cities
    ismail kadare- the palace of dreams
    roberto bolano- the savage detectives
    umberto eco - baudolino
    Also if u have never read borges or gabriel garcia marquez then anything by them but particularly 100 years of solitude and ficciones
  • some of those are books i would recommend almost anyone but particularly i think u would like the kadare book. if i am right about your taste in books, which tbh i am taking a little bit of a stab in the dark with. either way it’s a great book and also insane that kadare managed to get it past the censors in 80s albania
  • Why is it that GGM is most famous for 100 Years of Solitude but high schoolers keep having to read Chronicle of a Death Foretold instead?
    Probably because the latter is much shorter
  • Why is it that GGM is most famous for 100 Years of Solitude but high schoolers keep having to read Chronicle of a Death Foretold instead?

well partly this

Probably because the latter is much shorter

and also chronicle is much easier to analyze and less confusing, in 100 years of solitude you have like multiple different characters with the same name and a lot more experimentation. whereas chronicle mostly revolves around one fairly simple conceit. it’s like joyce is most famous for ulysses but you wouldn’t give that to high schoolers lol
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Watched any TV or movies lately?
  • 100 years of solitude is what they had us read in high school,
  • Watched any TV or movies lately?

honestly lately just been watching bake off or half watching sex education while my bf watches it
    Obā-san said:

100 years of solitude is what they had us read in high school,

when in high school? i think i read it maybe when i was in my last year of high school and really liked it but a couple of years earlier and i think i wouldn’t have really been able to engage w it. my high school english syllabus was Very Variable. gcse poetry collection had some good shit, but they scrapped that now. of mice and men was a reasonable choice, jane eyre too, but for every decent move you had some dumb shit like making us read just the first three chapters of tess of the d’urbervilles
  • sunn wolf said:

Odradek said:

What are some good books

milorad pavic- dictionary of the khazars
    italo calvino - invisible cities
    ismail kadare- the palace of dreams
    roberto bolano- the savage detectives
    umberto eco - baudolino
    Also if u have never read borges or gabriel garcia marquez then anything by them but particularly 100 years of solitude and ficciones
    looking at this again its very obvious my taste is basically italians, south americans or dudes from the balkans writing about dreams/ nonlinear narratives
  • i have been into mishima recently aswell and pissed that confessions of a mask is apparently not on the kindle store. the sailor who fell with grace from the sea is real good
  • I had what I'd consider an exceptionally safe/boring high school lit curriculum. Lot of Shakespeare and lot of things that get called "the great american novel" despite mostly being boring that get picked because they have a single easily-graspable core thesis that the teacher can deduct points from your essays if you don't point out and explain in detail. 

I liked Slaughterhouse Five but that was just something I read on my own that I simply happened to find in my high school. I appreciated my third year lit. teacher Dr. Falkenstein because he let us read whatever we wanted and mostly graded us off of pretty free-form essays. Also his name was Dr. Falkenstein.

but I Don't Read anymore really so my opinions on this subject are pretty worthless.
  • sunn wolf said:

when in high school? i think i read it maybe when i was in my last year of high school and really liked it but a couple of years earlier and i think i wouldn’t have really been able to engage w it. my high school english syllabus was Very Variable. gcse poetry collection had some good shit, but they scrapped that now. of mice and men was a reasonable choice, jane eyre too, but for every decent move you had some dumb shit like making us read just the first three chapters of tess of the d’urbervilles

sophmore year iirc, mayb junior
  • edited 2020-11-11 06:24:11
    My high school curriculum's dip into magical realism involved Like Water for Chocolate and Chronicle of a Death Foretold, the latter of which incidentally (English) Wikipedia doesn't even say is magical realism.

I also read Tuck Everlasting on my own before my freshman year (it was somewhere on the reading list, I forget whether required or optional), and in retrospect, that seems like it has magical realism elements.  (And maaaaybe The Great Gatsby but I barely even understood any of what happened in that book.)

Other stuff I read in high school included:
    * standard Shakespeare works: R&J, Hamlet, Othello, Julius Caesar
    * ancient literary classics: The Odyssey, Antigone
    * English-language works: Fahrenheit 451, Animal Farm, Great Expectations, The Catcher in the Rye, Night, Things Fall Apart, Pride and Prejudice, Lord of the Flies, Heart of Darkness, The Joy Luck Club, Of Mice and Men, A Raisin in the Sun, The Canterbury Tales, The Scarlet Letter, The Crucible, The Great Gatsby, Wuthering Heights, Boy's Life, Catch-22, The Handmaid's Tale, The Awakening, Slaughterhouse-Five, Memoirs of a Geisha, In the Lake of the Woods, Jane Eyre, Middle Passage

I'm not sure if anyone else shared this experience, but I'm not sure I actually understood about half of these when I read them (The Great Gatsby is a particularly apt example in this regard).  In some cases I think I got only part of it, like finding individual scenes from Catch-22 funny, but not really understanding its bitterness about the war.  I think it took me until sophomore year, reading Pride and Prejudice, to really start feeling like I was understanding what was going on on my own, with regards to overarching plot elements.
    The Great Gatsby seemed pretty straightforward to me
  • i was assigned gatsby too when i was about 17 and i i don’t think i fully got it, but i mostly got it

mainly im impressed you remembered what you studied in that much detail. i can’t remember a lot of what i studied i think. when we did jane eyre i remembered we studied wide sargasso sea alongside it, which was cool
  • i think i didn’t really properly get any genuine Literary books until i was 18 and got assigned therese raquin by emile zola. something about miserable frenchness ticks my boxes too (celine is also p good)
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The most personally significant thing I ever had to read for school was William Faulkner's novella "The Bear", I think the version from Go Down, Moses. The section where he switches to writing from the titular creature's perspective was, I think, a kind of spiritual epiphany, although I did not recognise it at the time. This moment of empathy and understanding that went beyond time and space, this moment of absolute visionary clarity in a story rooted in the material, the earthy: In this I understood. For a long time I think I denied it of myself, wracked with doubt, but I understood.

On a completely different note, I think one can accomplish a funeral doom vibe with electronics, but I think you might kind of have to play around with swing percentages or manual programming with the drum sounds to fully capture the dragged rhythmic feeling. Or just literally be Author and Punisher. That dude's a beast.