The Sidelining of the Curmudgeon

As a curmudgeon, I have noticed that my kind have either softened up or just been drummed out of positions of influence over the last decade.

It used to be that moaning and complaining about change was the default. It remains popular, but is more ridiculed or ignored than it used to be.

What changed?

Am I imagining this?

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You're being curmudgeonly about being curmudgeonly and I have no idea what level of irony this threat is intended to be running on 
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    you THINK you're a curmudgeon
  • I am going to destroy you with magic bombs and magic guns 
  • Curmudgeons are naturally sidelined.  It gives them a place from which to complain about change.

The only reason for us curmudgeons to ever not be sidelined, is so that it can be a change when we are sidelined (giving us a reason to complain).
  • anyhow *i'm* the real curmidgeon

it's been twelve long years and this shit just keeps happening

who the hell wrote this script anyway

I am going to destroy you with magic bombs and magic guns 

get it right, alternate universe dream girl, they're regular bombs and regular guns

it's the *timing* that makes all the difference
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    See, I almost posted something to that effect, but it occurred to me that she probably said "magic" because "I am going to shoot you with real guns and blow you up with real bombs" comes off as much more violent and less funny
  • you're right.

but i'm a curmudgeon
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

You're being curmudgeonly about being curmudgeonly and I have no idea what level of irony this threat is intended to be running on 

None!

I’m just talking about how culture seems to have gotten looser and less grouchy
  • ...i thought internet culture got worse?  or at least it has stayed excessively sardonic for a while now
  • glenn I'm not trying to be rude but do you like, use online spaces other than this one? How would you know?
  • edited 2020-10-08 15:42:50

glenn I'm not trying to be rude but do you like, use online spaces other than this one? How would you know?

i do, and probably too many, though they might not be the same as the ones you use, so our impressions might be different.

i'm not sure what your last question is referring to; how would I know what?
    if it's is about the general tone of conversations on the internet, my observations have been that the frequent use of sarcasm, trash-talking, and such is still present and common.

(also, sorry if my earlier comment was rude.  it just seemed like an apt zinger, given the thread.)
    I'm just saying..."Kids these days don't appreciate what it means to be a grumpy old curmudgeon" would be a great joke if you were doing it on purpose, but you seem to mean it with complete sincerity, and that's kind of baffling
  • Well, part of it is the fact that I think I am kinda curmudgeony anyway.  It's most noticeable when I complain about tech stuff.

Also it's kinda consistent with the character concept of Homura, what with her still holding onto a set of unfulfilled intentions and promises, albeit reinterpreted as her being unstuck from time while having the world move on without her.
  • Well, part of it is the fact that I think I am kinda curmudgeony anyway.  It's most noticeable when I complain about tech stuff.

Also it's kinda consistent with the character concept of Homura, what with her still holding onto a set of unfulfilled intentions and promises, albeit reinterpreted as her being unstuck from time while having the world move on without her.
    I don't....really think those are the same thing
    …Why does every HH thread end up being about Homura now?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    humu humu
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    homu hangout