The streaming age

I'm not sure how excited people are for it, honestly

I feel some excitement, even if it doesn't show, because it feels like TV is experiencing a creative upsurge like never before. And Hollywood loves streaming because it's Cool in a way that linear TV never was. It's got that aura of tech that they so envy...

But people think there's too many subscription streaming services. To them it feels like Big Media nickel-and-diming them. But within the industry there's a real fear that if you don't have a Netflix competitor, you will be a second-class citizen in a few years' time. Indeed, Netflix itself seems to have seen better days, in terms of the quality and appeal of its content.

So yeah. What's your read on the streaming age?

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I thought you resented the shift to streaming because it means people are largely foregoing buying physical media of movies and TV shows
  • edited 2020-08-27 02:26:10
    My take on the streaming age is that
    * downloads to locally playable files are better than streams
    * everyone streams the hell out of everything regardless
    * companies probably like this because it's easier for them to control access to it
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    what glenn said
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

I thought you resented the shift to streaming because it means people are largely foregoing buying physical media of movies and TV shows

That’s the rub! It’s a preservationist’s nightmare...

• no actual legitimate streaming service is better than 9anime, which itself sorta majorly sucks, so there's your answer.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

no actual legitimate streaming service is better than 9anime, which itself sorta majorly sucks, so there's your answer.

what makes that so
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    9anime has all the anime
  • edited 2020-08-27 23:43:28
    The streaming age cannot, and will not, produce work of this nature and quality (indeed, only a low-resolution facsimile of the true art can be found):

On the plus side, I do enjoy Odra's streams (though they are mostly media from a pre-streaming time).

(Most of my preservation anxieties are resolved by the existence of the Library of Congress, and the National Film Registry, and other such things.  It is, however, concerning, that one decision by a corporation can remove nearly all possibility of legitimately watching Saludos Amigos.  I mean, even the vhs or dvd is a facsimile of the film itself, which I will likely never get to see in an actual theater).
  • edited 2020-08-27 23:53:37
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I mean, Disney managed to turn Pepper Ann into borderline lost media in one fell swoop...and that show hadn't aired on U.S. TV in years by the time they struck the YouTube uploads down in 2013