The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    moo
  • grrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The public libraries have been shut down for months, and I need reading material

Never before have I been this thankful for the existence of ebooks
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Can't believe Centie is going to be getting a surprise visit from Chuck Wendig soon.
    I personally have no shortage of reading material, but rather a shortage of reading time
  • reading...and listening...and watching...and playing...
  • I've not been to a public library in YEARS,never had a reason to really
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I am no bookworm but libraries are so fucking good
  • I have been to a public library before COVID-19 hit, and I love libraries.
    libraries are pretty great
  • Libraries often provide public services (Ones my local library had or was trying to have or had on a wish-list (as in "stuff other libraries do that we ought to"):  digitization machines so people can make digital copies of analog media or photographs/film/video/etc, access to legal information and government papers so people can know what their legal rights are, interpreters and other helpers to help people understand what they're trying to read (which often helps a lot with the above), the existence of a wholesome public space for all ages, art displays from local artists, lego clubs, reading-to-dogs-for-an-hour-on-alternating-tuesdays-and-thursdays, e.t.c) which make them not just tax-funded free-book-rental-places (which is, in and of itself, a gigantic public sevice), but a true center of the community, sometimes even the soul of the community.

To, as Jeff Bezos has, say that Libraries are obsolete, or to say, as some have, that communities are better off with Amazon Bookstores and thus not-having-to-pay-that-tax-money-that-funds-libraries, is to fundamentally misunderstand the influence a good library can have on a community (and especially the poorest and most vulnerable within it).

I miss my job working at my local library.  I felt like I was doing good work there.  Darn Covid-19.
  • edited 2020-07-14 18:00:25
    Sadly, my library training never taught me to properly spell etc. instead of e.t.c, nor to properly create sentences that aren't (seriously, what is up with my parenthetical stuff) a headache to read.
  • It also did not succeed in training me not to make tripleposts.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Ali_Roz said:

Libraries often provide public services (Ones my local library had or was trying to have or had on a wish-list (as in "stuff other libraries do that we ought to"):  digitization machines so people can make digital copies of analog media or photographs/film/video/etc, access to legal information and government papers so people can know what their legal rights are, interpreters and other helpers to help people understand what they're trying to read (which often helps a lot with the above), the existence of a wholesome public space for all ages, art displays from local artists, lego clubs, reading-to-dogs-for-an-hour-on-alternating-tuesdays-and-thursdays, e.t.c) which make them not just tax-funded free-book-rental-places (which is, in and of itself, a gigantic public sevice), but a true center of the community, sometimes even the soul of the community.

To, as Jeff Bezos has, say that Libraries are obsolete, or to say, as some have, that communities are better off with Amazon Bookstores and thus not-having-to-pay-that-tax-money-that-funds-libraries, is to fundamentally misunderstand the influence a good library can have on a community (and especially the poorest and most vulnerable within it).

I miss my job working at my local library.  I felt like I was doing good work there.  Darn Covid-19.
    I cosign this 100%. Public libraries are a pillar of any community and the idea that they could be replaced by for-profit enterprises is absurd on its face.
    Also, the ebooks I've been reading since I've been unable to check out dead-tree books? Provided by the public library.
  • edited 2020-07-15 18:23:40

Ali_Roz said:

Libraries often provide public services (Ones my local library had or was trying to have or had on a wish-list (as in "stuff other libraries do that we ought to"):  digitization machines so people can make digital copies of analog media or photographs/film/video/etc, access to legal information and government papers so people can know what their legal rights are, interpreters and other helpers to help people understand what they're trying to read (which often helps a lot with the above), the existence of a wholesome public space for all ages, art displays from local artists, lego clubs, reading-to-dogs-for-an-hour-on-alternating-tuesdays-and-thursdays, e.t.c) which make them not just tax-funded free-book-rental-places (which is, in and of itself, a gigantic public sevice), but a true center of the community, sometimes even the soul of the community.

I cosign this 100%. Public libraries are a pillar of any community and the idea that they could be replaced by for-profit enterprises is absurd on its face.
    I agree entirely too.
    i feel like a light has gone out
    RIP
  • I want to make a doctor who joke

but I can't
    You ever just think about Mr Wormwood committing odometer fraud with a power drill, and how that wouldn't work on modern cars because their odometers are all digital, and how it's debatable whether that would even have worked as described in the book back when it was published in 1988, and how most kids today who read that chapter probably have no idea what it's even talking about?
  • It makes him look even stupider if you ask me
  • So...

I caved in and bought the Into the Future expansion for Sims 3 because I am a hoe for time travel stuff.

Right now, my sim:

* Travelled to the future and fell in love with someone there
    * Travelled back to the present with said person to start a relationship
    * Travelled back to the future because the game said new descendants have been discovered
    * Decided to show her pregnancy whilst she is in the future, despite the baby being conceived in the present
    * Cheated on her boyfriend with a plumbot.
    Back to the Future, I saw that movie!
  • I've seen the one with the flying train
  • No reason for that except cute.
    KITTEN
  • I love the little mustache.

Kitties with mustaches are just super cute.
    Isn't it weird how kittens turn into cats?
  • yes

it is also adorable
    kittens and cats are the same species
    So are newborn babies and adult humans, but you must admit there are a lot of differences between the two
    in some cases, yes
  • a potentially useful illustration

princess celestia
  • so if I'm reading this page right, there's a conspiracy theory that says cats are made out of kittens
  • My cat thinks she's a kitten.
  • boom bitten kittten
  • smitten with kitten
    wow with cow
    delirium with Asterian

Look, we're gonna pretend it rhymes.
  • So uh... I'm still alive, I guess???
    Hi Tools.

How goes the still being alive?
  • Eh, same old. 

Working, writing, and playing video games. 
    In that order, presumably
  • Ruth Bader Ginsberg has passed away.

(Not intending to start a politics discussion, just a historical note for future generations).
    Terry Goodkind, writer of bad fantasy novels, died too.
  • Presumably if you paid for higher-quality CD-Rs instead of the big pack of unbranded discs they sell at Big Lots, you might have had better results in the long temr

apparently I have this saved a sa draft and I do ntot know whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy\

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
  • I kept reading Terry Goodkind as Goodchild,brain what the?