OHMIGOSH THE COMET NEOWISE

edited 2020-07-16 21:24:45 in General
It's visible for the next few days in the pre-dawn hours!  Wake up early and see it!  It has a 6800 year orbit and everything so this is amazing and I haven't seen it yet but I've never seen a comet!

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    6800 year orbit...
  • edited 2020-07-16 20:50:08
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    This is one of those times when I resent living in the city...so much light pollution...
  • edited 2020-07-16 21:13:53
    Last time it was visible from Earth, well, even the most ancient calendars have "beginning-of-calendar" dates 
    later 
    than that.  Writing wouldn't be invented for another millennium-and-a-half, at least (pretty much the same for the domestication of the horse).

And, well, it should be visible pretty much worldwide, given that this is the view from Montreal:

And this is the view from Salgotarjan, Hungary:

And this is the view from Beijing, China:

And this is the view from Tuscon, Arizona:

And this is the view from Stonehenge, WHICH WAS ACTUALLY AROUND LAST TIME THIS COMET CAME.image
    And this is the view with Mt. Shasta, California, WHICH WAS ALSO AROUND LAST TIME, DUH.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Hmm...maybe if I find somewhere where my view isn't blocked by tall trees...
  • edited 2020-07-16 21:25:35
    Here's my favorite view so far, from Brimson, Minnesota:

And here's the view from the International Space Station, taken by an actual astronaut:

Blargadarg more pictures

(I wonder what my equivalent thread will be in 2061 when Halley's comet comes!)
  • GUIDE TO SEEING NEOWISE:

FIND THE BIG DIPPER.

PUT YOUR FIRST OUT AT THE END OF YOUR ARM (THE SIZE OF YOUR FIST IS ABOUT TEN SKY-DEGREES).

NEOWISE IS ABOUT TEN SKY-DEGREES BELOW THE BIG DIPPER.
  • I SAW IT I SAW IT I SAW IT!!!!!!!!!

At 10:45 at night, ten sky-degrees below (well, my fist is small, so it was one and a half fists for me).

IT LOOKED LIKE A REGULAR STAR BUT IF YOU KEEP LOOKING AT IT AND SQUINT YOU CAN SEE THE TAIL AND ITS SO FLIPPING BEAUTIFUL I CANT STAND IT!

And then MY PARENTS CAME TO JOIN ME AND THEY BROUGHT BINOCULARS AND THE TAIL WAS CLEARLY CISIBLE THROUGHTHE BINOCULARS OHMIGOSH OHMIGOSH OHMIGOSH!

I also go to the university that discovered this comet and named it! And my sister used to work for the Space Dynamics Lab guys there! And people all around the northern hemisphere, might be thinking of the same comet at the same time, and this is exactly wha I needed at this point in my life.

Thank you, God.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    :D
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Such wholesome enthusiasm!
  • Today is the closest it will be for 6800 years, and it's too cloudy to see over here, but I already saw it, and it might not be cloudy where you are, so make sure to look tonight!  
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Aliroz' pure love of cosmic phenomena cleanses my soul.
  • Tonight is probably the last night that Neowise will be visible without binoculars.  With binoculars or a telescope, it should be visible a while longer, but I'm hoping to see it again tonight with my siblings.
    Oh, I will have to look. Maybe it'll finally not be super cloudy here.