• edited 2019-07-03 21:11:40
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

y'know

i finally realized that "smaragdine" is a thing

i can't believe it took me this long

but it is a very good pun, and as a person who likes limnology, i approve

I want you to know that this post made me happy and got me out of a bad mood.  

Speaking of overly-elaborate pun set-ups:

According to a book I read (David Day's The Hobbit Companion), "Hob" is English slang for a ring-based game.  Tolkein's entire thing about rings and hobbits is built from that pun. 
  • edited 2019-07-03 21:11:30
    (2015 self)
    The book ends with,

"A game of Hob is also called Quoits or Rings.  It is played with large flat iron rings (also called quoits) pitched over a pin or peg (called the hob) that is used as a mark on a raised mound or hump (also called the hob).  In America the rings have been replaced with horseshoes, but it is essentially the same game.

Did the game of Hob inspire the plot of the epic tale of The Lord of The Rings?  Or was the whole of the epic tale of The Lord of the Rings a story invented to explain the origin of the game of Hob?
    It is unlikely that even J. R. R. Tolkien would intentionally have been quite this bizarrely convoluted and elaborately Hobbitish.  But one never knows--Tolkien was an unrepentant multi-lingual serial punner.  It is conceivable that, in some other dimension, Professor Tolkien may now be sitting back and blowing his smoke rings as he chuckles at the thought of inflicting one more totally obscure philological joke on the unsuspecting and unknowing world."

The book also says,

"There are... links in the underworld jargon between Bagg and Baggins and the words bag and baggage as used by working criminals in Britain.  Three are quite notable:  to bag means to capture, to acquire or to steal; a baggage man is the outlaw who carries off the loot or booty; and a bag man is the man who collects and distributes money on behalf of others by dishonest means, or for dishonest purposes."
  • edited 2019-07-19 20:42:57
    (2015 self)
    Question to Central Avenue:  If your university did gun research, and partnered with the National Rifle Association, you'd feel complicit and stuff if you continued to go to that University and support it with tax money and graduate from there, right?  And wanting to go to a different university or live in a different town so that you aren't complicit would NOT be a stupid desire, because being a complicit-in-evil traitor to your values is unbearable?

Likewise, I am a traitor for continuing to go to my university, and feeling guilty isn't Doing The Thing?
  • edited 2019-07-19 20:41:27
    (2015 self)
    I should probably distinguish between "objecting to something" and "feeling complicit-in-evil for not objecting to something" and "making/wanting-to-make drastic life choices so as to not feel complicit for not objecting to something"; same way as I should distinguish between feelings, desires, and actions.  Probably the acceptability/good-idea-ness/reasonableness of some of those things is different from others of those things.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    How, that's actually a tough question.

There's a common stereotype, especially among right-leaning folks, that college students can't stand to be around opposing opinions of any type, but honestly I find this to be far exaggerated. Most college students I've encountered are fully aware of the fact that they won't agree with everything that their university does, and they accept differences of opinion as long as those opinions aren't actively causing harm.

Now, the scenario you're asking about is different, because you've outlined a situation in which the student does believe the university's actions to be harmful. In the case you've put forth, my first course of action would be to protest, using whatever means are available to me, in attempt to dissuade the university from further pursuing the harmful activity. After all, walking away is one thing, but getting them to stop would be better, right?

If protesting doesn't work, well, that's a tough question. To answer your question directly, I do think I would feel guilty and feel a sense of complicity with the university's actions. But, at the same time, I think it would be hard to break myself from the sense of loyalty I felt towards my school and my hometown. So, if you're feeling especially conflicted right now, I don't blame you, because I think anyone in that situation would be.
  • edited 2019-07-21 23:48:05
    (2015 self)
    It's not the NRA (I just used that as an example so as to get you to sympathize).  It's medicinal marijuana research.

As as for protesting, no.  I'm not going to do that.  As much as I think it is harmful, I can't convince other people that it is, and I'm no good at defending my own thoughts.

And, I don't have the life skills and having-it-together-ness to move out.  I don't really want to leave my hometown (I've never lived anywhere else, and if my life goes as I want it to go, I'll die never having lived anywhere else).

I just wish I could arrest myself and sentence myself to something to pay off my conscience.
  • I'm not sure if it means anything to you, but I find myself being supportive of medical marijuana legalization but a noticeably more hesitant about supporting recreational marijuana legalization.
  • edited 2019-07-22 04:18:27
    (2015 self)

I'm not sure if it means anything to you, but I find myself being supportive of medical marijuana legalization but a noticeably more hesitant about supporting recreational marijuana legalization.

Sorry, but it means nothing to me... look at the states that have allowed the former, and how many of them end up allowing the latter.

And look at how many have, once allowing the latter, ever changed the law to disallow the latter (none).
  • edited 2019-08-01 22:57:12
    (2015 self)
    Youtube:  -cheeses me off-

Me:  -cheesed off, decides to not watch youtube for a month-

Me:  -still watches youtube, despite previous decision-

Youtube:  -cheeses me off again-

Me:  -blocks youtube-

Youtube:  -surprised pikachu face-
  • edited 2019-08-03 19:35:43
    (2015 self)
    Pwilt 70031 considered humanity again, straining for insight.  The problem, as in every attempt to analyze humanity, lay in its origins.  How could one understand a sapient species that had developed alone, with no other intelligence to define itself in relation to?  Before Earth had been discovered, it had been axiomatic that sapience could not develop singly, any more than language could occur without the need for communication.  A lot of axioms had had to be revised because of Earth.

Earth.  What a bizarre planet, orbiting a bizarrely singular sun.  There must have been something to it, because the humans of Jalax-12 had been so secretive about its location.  It must have meant a lot, because all human colonies had banded together to exterminate the Geff, Ploki, and Moin for attempting to colonize it.  It couldn't have meant that much, or it never would have become a home for Ullian refugees, would never have accepted the traders it did.  It couldn't have meant much at all, or humans would never have accepted the fact that they had become the 17th most numerous sapient species on Earth a mere 94 Earth-orbits after the sterilization of the Geff/Ploki/Moin homeworld.

Pwilt 70031 hoped that the old "isolation-induced insanity" interpretation would be enough to pass the qualifying exam to become an Analytics Officer.  Still, there was something about Earth.

What a planet.  Earth.  Earth with its oceans as blue as its star.

• edited 2019-08-03 19:46:21
    (2015 self)
    (I know it's cheesy, but I like the idea of humanity finding another planet similar to Earth and claiming that that planet is Earth, so as to have a decoy Home-World.)

(Also, if humanity were to colonize other planets, those planets similar to Earth would probably be the ones colonized first).
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    That Play will be performed in Salt Lake City tomorrow. The plays of Aeschylus are still performed nearly 2500 years later.

My aunt is back from the hospital.  She's on oxygen now, has a benign brain tumor, and can't talk for more than a few minutes at a time.

I seriously need cheering up, guys.
  • edited 2019-08-13 04:33:21
    (2015 self)

Which play?

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/f4ada6cd-213b-485a-b78c-29442764edda

(I don't mean this clip in a condescending way, but in a "genuinely surprised" way).

(also, the play is that musical play by the South Park guys about my religion.)

(Odra does Simpsons gifs from that one episode where the guy goes insane when he gets upset.  Evidently, I'm a pretentious gator and go for Lawrence of Arabia)
  • oh, sorry, i forgot about context.

I actually went and looked up The Birds but realized I misremembered the author, and I looked up Aeschylus to try to guess which of his plays you were referring to, haha.
  • edited 2019-08-16 02:06:31
    (2015 self)
    I summoned the bards of old to sing a song of inspiration, that I might keep up my will to continue the struggle.

(in other words, I listened to Stayin' Alive by the Bee Gees)
    (2015 self)
    I tried to play Hollow Knight, but it's one of those games with bosses that take dozens of hits and have multiple forms, so I only , after a couple days, got to the point where I'd bought out all of the bug lady's merchandise before giving up.  Can't play that.

I tried to play King of Dragon Pass, but when I last left the game last year I was thirty years into a tribe that I had gotten invested in, so I can't start a new game, and playing my old game is like picking up a good book I never finished and trying to start where I left off.  Can't play that.

Tried to play Warlords Battlecry 2 and 3, but the old cds from my childhood broke and so did the Gog versions.  Can't play that.

The computer is just about out of space, and I restart school in about a week, so I can't really start up anything truly good.  It's frustrating.
    (2015 self)
    Guess I'll play Heroes of Might and Magic 3 again.
    (2015 self)

English:

I can show you the world

Shining, shimmering splendid

Tell me, princess, now when did

You last let your heart decide?

I can open your eyes

Take you wonder by wonder

Over sideways and under

On a magic carpet ride

A whole new world

A new fantastic point of view

No one to tell us no

Or where to go

Or say we're only dreaming

A whole new world

A dazzling place I never knew

But when I'm way up here

It's crystal clear

That now I'm in a whole new world with you

Now I'm in a whole new world with you

Unbelievable sights

Indescribable feeling

Soaring, tumbling, freewheeling

Through an endless diamond sky

A whole new world (Don't you dare close your eyes)

A hundred thousand things to see (Hold your breath, it gets better)

I'm like a shooting star

I've come so far

I can't go back to where I used to be

A whole new world (Every turn a surprise)

With new horizons to pursue (Every moment, red-letter)

I'll chase them anywhere

There's time to spare

Let me share this whole new world with you

A whole new world (A whole new world)

That's where we'll be (That's where we'll be)

A thrilling chase

A wondrous place

For you and me

Google translate english-latin-hindi-swahili-english

You can show the world

Clear and bright

He was proclaimed, king, and testimony again

And in the end the heart decides?

Open e

Surprise him in surprise

On the one hand do more than, and

Riding a carpet film

Then a new world war broke out

New point of view

We say that there is someone

Where to go

We say, however, they are not just dreams of

For the whole world to connect with the new world
    The white man and he knew it

This column is

It is crystal clear

The whole e, however, has come to stand with the new world of the world, with you

from the new world and the whole world of

This is strange, afraid of

Feeling misunderstood

Tumblidag on, Farewhelidag

Diamond through the endless sky

A new world is coming out (afraid of two eyes closed)

Condition one thousand one hundred and fifty feet (hold your breath, get better)

I'm writing Shooting Star

It's been up to date

Don't go, I may be, I'm here, long ago

New world is coming out (surprise to turn)

(New red lettering) to follow new horizons

The plane is still chasing them

No add-ons

And share it all with the new world

New world is coming out (world of nova)

Fallen (left for his turn)

Excellent search

What a great place

Since you
  • edited 2019-09-04 04:32:01
    http://www.christinaspets.mysite.com/

apparently an exotic animal rescue organization up in pennsylvania

has a variety of photos of crocodilians
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Hey Rozzy have you seen the new Dark Crystal Netflix show? It's really good
    (2015 self)

http://www.christinaspets.mysite.com/

apparently an exotic animal rescue organization up in pennsylvania

has a variety of photos of crocodilians

Neat.

Odradek said:

Hey Rozzy have you seen the new Dark Crystal Netflix show? It's really good

No, I have not seen it.
    (2015 self)
    Bwahahahahaha!  I'm going to steal things and put them where they belong, which, of course, is where they were first come up with!  And I ended that sentence with two prepositions!

*I steal all the aircraft and put them in France*

*I steal all the radar and put it in England*

*I steal all the paper and put it in China*

*I steal all of the nuclear weapons and put them in America*

*I steal the number zero and put it in India*

*I steal all the Lego bricks and put them in Denmark*

*I steal all the meteorites and put them in space*

*I steal all of the steel and put it in the mines*
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Aliroz said:

Bwahahahahaha!  I'm going to steal things and put them where they belong, which, of course, is where they were first come up with!  And I ended that sentence with two prepositions!

*I steal all the aircraft and put them in France*

*I steal all the radar and put it in England*

*I steal all the paper and put it in China*

*I steal all of the nuclear weapons and put them in America*

*I steal the number zero and put it in India*

*I steal all the Lego bricks and put them in Denmark*

*I steal all the meteorites and put them in space*

*I steal all of the steel and put it in the mines*
    Congratulations. You've become the Reverse Carmen Sandiego!
    (2015 self)
  • edited 2019-09-28 09:15:27
    I like wholesome and introspective comic strips like this one.  Thanks for sharing it.
    As a PTSD sufferer, I feel this one big time. Thanks, Aliroz.
  • > Sarcosuchus

suddenly I understand the first word of your thread title
    (2015 self)

Whoa!  This looks great!
    Hey so it occurred to me that I did not tell you about my new job and that is a massive oversight because I know you'll LOVE IT

I work for OSU's University Libraries now!! Specifically, I work in the Tech Center, which is not open to the public. I do labelling! I apply the call number label to each book, stamp it "OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES", and put it on a shelf to be sent to one of the 13 libraries on the Columbus campus.

It's a fascinating job because I encounter all kinds of books I'd never otherwise see, of all shapes and sizes, some new, some old...in so many different languages. If only I had time to read them all!
  • Sweet!

I loved my time volunteering at the library too.
    (2015 self)
    As a library worker myself, yeah, don't read the books where they can see you.  That's the biggest pet peeve of the desk clerks.  Only they get to read on the job, not the pages. 
    (2015 self)
    Also, it's super neat that you get to work at a univesity library!  AWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOME!
  • edited 2019-10-09 00:09:49
    (2015 self)
    Facepalm Studios actually did make a series of movies that was an adaptation of the Horus Heresy from Warhammer 40,000, but it was not a critical or financial success.

Audiences didn't like the tale of Papa Emps's Pizza Emporium and the twenty-one waiters/chefs that are his sons.  Audiences were especially galled with the revelation that the missing two chefs were disowned for marrying Protestants against the orders of their Italian Catholic father.  Nor was the baseball subplot involving Joe Dimaggio popular.
    (2015 self)
    ^ That's amazing.
    (2015 self)
  • > Thomas had never seen such bulls hit before.

When Thomas goes out to his ranch to see his bulls, which he knew were quite popular, but he finds that someone has injured them intentionally.
    (2015 self)
    So, about Disney owning Star Wars and the end of time in that other thread...

I used to always play Age of Empires II on Halloween, back in High School.  It's my favorite game, the game that I watched my brother play when I was little, the game that got me into reading and history, the game that I've probably played more than any other.

I haven't played it in years, and I'll never play it as long as I live.  I'm not the person I used to be, and it's too painful to get back into that headspace, to hear that same music and see the same images.  It's not mine anymore, it wasn't taken from me, no, I gave up on it at a point in my life when I needed to put certain things behind me.

I'll be darned if I let Disney owning Star Wars take Star Wars from me.  
  • edited 2019-11-01 03:26:01
    (2015 self)
     Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray
    South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio

Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, television
    North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe

Rosenbergs, H-bomb, Sugar Ray, Panmunjom
    Brando, "The King and I" and "The Catcher in the Rye"

Eisenhower, vaccine, England's got a new queen
    Marciano, Liberace, Santayana goodbye

We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning
    Since the world's been turning
    We didn't start the fire
    No we didn't light it
    But we tried to fight it

Joseph Stalin, Malenkov, Nasser and Prokofiev
    Rockefeller, Campanella, Communist Bloc

Roy Cohn, Juan Peron, Toscanini, Dacron
    Dien Bien Phu falls, "Rock Around the Clock"

Einstein, James Dean, Brooklyn's got a winning team
    Davy Crockett, Peter Pan, Elvis Presley, Disneyland

Bardot, Budapest, Alabama, Krushchev
    Princess Grace, "Peyton Place", trouble in the Suez

We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning
    We didn't start the fire
    No we didn't light it
    But we tried to fight it

Little Rock, Pasternak, Mickey Mantle, Kerouac
    Sputnik, Chou En-Lai, "Bridge on the River Kwai"

Lebanon, Charlse de Gaulle, California baseball
    Starkweather, homicide, children of thalidomide

Buddy Holly, "Ben Hur", space monkey, Mafia
    Hula hoops, Castro, Edsel is a no-go

U2, Syngman Rhee, payola and Kennedy
    Chubby Checker, "Psycho", Belgians in the Congo

We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning
    We didn't start the fire
    No we didn't light it
    But we tried to fight it

Hemingway, Eichmann, "Stranger in a Strange Land"
    Dylan, Berlin, Bay of Pigs invasion

"Lawrence of Arabia", British Beatlemania
    Ole Miss, John Glenn, Liston beats Patterson

Pope Paul, Malcolm X, British politician sex
    JFK, blown away, what else do I have to say

We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning
    We didn't start the fire
    No we didn't light it
    But we tried to fight it

Birth control, Ho Chi Minh, Richard Nixon back again
    Moonshot, Woodstock, Watergate, punk rock
    Begin, Reagan, Palestine, terror on the airline
    Ayatollah's in Iran, Russians in Afghanistan

"Wheel of Fortune", Sally Ride, heavy metal, suicide
    Foreign debts, homeless vets, AIDS, crack, Bernie Goetz
    Hypodermics on the shores, China's under martial law
    Rock and roller cola wars, I can't take it anymore

We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning
    We didn't start the fire
    But when we are gone
    Will it still burn on, and on, and on, and on

We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning
    We didn't start the fire
    No we didn't light it
    But we tried to fight it

We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning
    We didn't start the fire
    No we didn't light it
    But we tried to fight.
    (2015 self)
    One of the things I hate most in fiction is when a character has the wrong number of chromosomes and it's treated as an explanation for why said character is evil.

Another thing I hate is when having the wrong number of chromosomes is treated as a horrifying mutation that gives superpowers or extra limbs or any pulp-sci-fi nonsense like that.

Another thing I hate is when in real life, nations proudly announce that certain conditions involving having the wrong number of chromosomes (for example, Down Syndrome) are "nearly eradicated".

Screw you, Iceland!  Screw you, Australia!  I've got the wrong number of chromosomes and I resent having to learn that the exact condition I have (which will not be named here but is not Down Syndrome) is seen by many in cultures as valid grounds for an abortion.

I understand that there's a lot of ethical and moral quandaries involving quality of life, but this feels like eugenics.
  • edited 2019-11-05 04:42:14
    (2015 self)
    I'm not a freak!  I can live my life without anybody knowing these kind of things unless I tell them!

Insincere apologies to Iceland and Australia for singling them out when they aren't the only nations with such eugenic tendencies.
    *hug*
    (2015 self)
    Thanks, Odradek.

I know people have strong opinions on women's choices and reproductive rights, but I don't think I can be objective about this, and I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings, but I still feel a need to talk about this issue even though it always ends in hurt feelings.

Your sympathy means a lot to me.  Thank you.
  • edited 2019-11-08 03:34:01
    (2015 self)
    (2015 self)
    Hey, I know that guy!  He's a well-known caterer, and though he's more likely to make you some warm danishes than some warm cookies, he's a very nice person.
    (2015 self)
    From Facepalm Studios, the studio that brought you The Sound And The Fury 2:  2 Furious 2 Sound comes

THE ONES WHO RETURN TO OMELAS

Former Citizen Of Omelas 1:  "Alright, fellas, the day has come.  It's been too long, but we now have the numbers-"

-Camera pans out to THE CREW-

Former Citizen of Omelas 2: "The allies-"

-Shot of VENUSIAN CRAFT zooms in through window to reveal a walnut DESK PLAQUE which reads "Margot"-

-Shot of INDESTRUCTIBLE LIBRARY zooms in through window to reveal a bookbag labeled "H. Bemis" containing a braille book titled GLASSES REPAIR-

-Rapid shots of other places and objects-

Former Citizen of Omelas 3: "and the resources-"

-Shot of a semitruck with "NOT HEIST SUPPLIES" haphazardly spray-painted on its side-

Former Citizen of Omelas 4: "- to save the child who needs us the most".

-shot of a camera disguised as a rock.  In its lens is reflected THE CREW-

-shot of Omelas's Police Chief watching the heist crew from said hidden camera, grinning an unsettling grin-

COMING FEBRUARY