GMH's music-posting thread

Comments

• I didn't know Monster Hunter had music this nice.

• edited 2018-01-25 21:54:18

This is apparently the Italian theme song for Golion/Voltron.

Apparently the French and Italian versions had distinct theme songs, different from the already-different English and Japanese versions.
  • this is how i discover music

this contains, supposedly, "Deck the Halls" by the Steve Rudolph Trio.

sadly, the YouTube upload of this track is actually a mislabeled upload of "Hark the Herald Angels Sing", albeit by the same artist.  but the Shazam sample of "Deck the Halls" suggests that it's indeed this track.
  • hey, remember that time I discovered Ferruccio Busoni's variations on Chopin's C minor prelude because it was the audioswap for part two of the first episode of Futari wa Pretty Cure?
  • edited 2018-01-29 20:03:24

"Tunak Tunak Tun" (Punjabi: ਤੁਣਕ ਤੁਣਕ ਤੁਣ) or simply "Tunak", is a Bhangra/Indi-pop song by Indian artist Daler Mehndi, released in 1998. At the time, critics complained that Mehndi's music was only popular due to his videos that featured beautiful women dancing.[1] Mehndi's response was to create a video that featured only himself. The music video was the first made in India using greenscreen technology,[1] which allowed the singer to superimpose his image over various computer-generated backgrounds such as desert and mountain landscapes and St. Basil's Cathedral.

The song and video was a success in India. It later became an international Internet meme.[2][3]

Considering that this is by far his most famous song on the international stage, Mehndi got the last laugh on his critics.
  • "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan is interesting because its first downbeat when the voice comes in is on a ii chord.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    my introduction to Tunak Tunak Tun was a fanimutation on ABS, of all things.
  • edited 2018-03-08 06:34:14

Not sure if it's normal for harp music to vary so dramatically in dynamics (i.e. loudness), or if it's just the microphone doing a poor job picking up quieter sounds, and thereby missing parts of the melody due to the reverb of louder, earlier notes.  I think it's most apparent in the second piece played here, though that may be because I know the pieces better?
  • edited 2018-03-10 21:12:42

Bbm Bbm, Gb Db, Gb Db, Ab Bbm

#goodprogressionforachaconne

also this is a good example of how i randomly pick up things: i heard this song for the first time yesterday in a bathroom at IKEA

bathrooms are good places to listen to music
  • edited 2018-03-12 02:11:33
    For some reason I have not made the jump from J-pop to K-pop like a number of people have.

Well to be honest I was never really into J-pop outside of anisong anyway.

When I hear "K-pop", on the other hand, my first thought is still "G G G G baby baby baby".  PSY's famous trash-confetti-breathing, playground-sandpit-posing, tennis-court-dance-party song only comes to mind afterwards, despite the fact that I like it more and actually remember more of it.
  • edited 2018-05-23 03:51:54
    yay for discovering music randomly

this results from me watching a video involving someone putting mentos into a soft drink bottle with a timed release mechanism and keeping the lid on and videotaping the explosions.

for best results, listen to this before or after listening to "kibou ni tsuite" by NO NAME (i.e. the AKB0048 OP)
  • i'm in the mood for b-flat major
  • By my understanding based on the comments, this appears to be a combo remix, i.e. one that incorporates multiple source tracks.  Like five of them.

• edited 2018-06-16 07:09:42
    If you ever happen to come across a piano piece (most likely an obscure one, for you to have found such a recording) on YouTube played by someone named "Claudio Colombo", you may wonder why the piece sounds very, very mechanically played, with basically nothing in the way of emotional nuance.

Well, I certainly did, and I wasn't the only one: http://www.pianosociety.com/threads/claudio-colombo.1990/ .

This person claims that he plays them and then digitally edits the result to be satisfactory.  Well, I'm betting that it's just him putting them into a MIDI file.  Like, every instance of a given ornament is performed exactly the same; every repeated section sounds exactly the same, and even in stuff like the brilliantly showy sonatas of Scarlatti, the recorded performance is entirely mechanical and perfectly in time, making no attempt at modifying tempo or dynamics for expressiveness.

And other people noted how he basically "played" an insanely large amount of repertoire, including some of the most difficult pieces ever written, without making any mistakes at all.

Well, if you just play a little bit then digitally edit everything together, it's not like it's all that different anyway.  Heck, turning recordings of a real person into a soundbank?  That's exactly how Miku Hatsune works.

TL;DR: If you see music played by "Claudio Colombo" you can assume that it's basically just a MIDI rendition using a high-quality piano soundfont.  (It doesn't really matter how he makes it; what results is what it is.)

And don't bother buying recordings of it, unless you enjoy this sort of interpretation.
  • listening to "It's A New Day" from Sailor Moon: Songs From The Hit TV Series

nice song
  • also i reconfigured foobar2000 somewhat

here's my new look

Item information used to be on the left.  It is now in the center top
    Album art used to be in the center top; it's now on the far right.
    Oscilloscope used to be a big thing all on the bottom; now it takes less space in the bottom left.
    "All Music" view used to be a special window I had to bring up.  Now it's located in the center bottom.  This is the biggest addition.
    Equalizer used to be on the top right; it's now squished further and in the bottom right.
    Playlist used to be a big space in the bottom right; now it's an even bigger space in the top left.
  • edited 2018-07-30 00:47:42
    stupidly catchy rhythm idea of the moment

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1PxXvDpRTZU

, a sockitubee, a sockitubee, (sock sock)
    a sockitubee, a sockitubee, (sock sock)
    asockasockasockasockasockasocksock, sock
    [repeat as many times as you want, vary as desired]

this is meant to fit with a blues progression

heavily inspired by Toma-Tomato

which in turn was inspired by Glenn Miller's "In the Mood"
  • Parts of this remind me of the Secret of Mana soundtrack.

• edited 2018-10-26 05:04:03
    here's the song i had in my mind earlier

this isn't the upload that i knew it from, but IS the specific version of the song i had in mind

the upload i had previously found was probably a compilation video of some sort
  • edited 2018-10-28 01:27:09
    i think i should just give my own name to what appears to be a rather specifically-definable genre that has at least in the past been quite popular.

"video game lyrical action rock"

defining characteristics:
    * prominent, often memorable melody, typically syncopated and/or making heavy use of upbeats
    * regular rhythm outlined by percussion, characterized by noticeable downbeats and upbeats, though often temporarily interrupted by more syncopated figurations, often on the last bars of phrases or approaching cadences
    * typically regular 2-bar, 4-bar, and 8-bar phrases
    * typically diatonic
    * typically makes use of relatively straightforward diatonic chords, and often includes easily-recognizable chord progressions, though does not repeat them as a sole ostinato throughout the entire track
    * often in a minor key
    * when in a minor key, will use harmonies that are considered "modal" by classical common practice -- e.g. minor v, (flat) VI, and (flat) VII (the subtonic), while the leading tone and raised sixth are relatively uncommon, though may be more common in ones that are supposed to sound "creepy" or "halloweenish".
    * instrumentation may vary, but is rarely vocal
    * usually in duple or quadruple time, generally simple (occasionally compound)
    * typically of a relatively fast tempo, with the fastest subdivisions being half or a quarter of the beat (e.g. 8th or 16th notes, if the music were written so that quarter-notes were beats)
    * tempo typically could be described as "reasonably fast" or "allegro" of some sort, typically with about 112 to 176 bpm, generally depending on how rhythmically "thick" the texture is

examples:
    * basically large portions of the soundtracks of many video games, including NES and GB Castlevania games and Mega Man games, as well as a huge number of other games like MMPR for SNES, Ninja Gaiden Shadow, La-Mulana, VVVVVV, Lufia II, Energy Breaker.  It's a common style for battle themes, for example, those of Final Fantasy IV and Summon Night: Swordcraft Story.

variants:
    * "anisong lyrical action rock", which is basically this same style of music but with a voice part
    * "video game action rock", a more general supercategory which includes less lyrical soundtrack selections, e.g. Motoi Sakuraba's battle themes

"how does this differ from regular rock/metal?"
    * lyrical, often memorable melodies, despite having no voice part
    * generally no ostinato, but instead, chord progressions give a sense of place within the track as well as musical direction
    * instrumental solos i.e. "showoff sections" are uncommon
    * in the case of video game music, may consist of mildly contrasting sections, that aren't used as verse/refrain
    * well, used in video game music in general

what do y'all think?
    1. is there already a name for this?
    2. or is it not meaningfully distinguishable from some other existing genre?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Someday I'll figure out what "syncopated" means
  • edited 2018-10-28 03:28:27

Someday I'll figure out what "syncopated" means

not syncopated (for example): one two three four one two three four: _ - _ - _ - _ - | _ - _ - _ - _ -
    syncopated (for example): one two-and, a-four-and, and, and, a four: _ - _ _ - _ _ _ | - _ - _ - _ _ -

basically, emphasizing weak beats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncopation
    ahhhh....I think I get it?

would this be an example of "video game lyrical action rock"?

• Note that it is possible to segue from "Gotta Go Fast" directly into "Heavy Rotation".

Start singing:

gotta go fast
    gotta go fast
    gotta go faster faster fasterfasterfaster

...but on that last syllable sing "fa" rather than "do" and now you can start going "so mi re do" in the next bar, and now you're singing AKB48's Heavy Rotation.
  • edited 2019-01-05 05:40:04
    Florida Man translates beloved Christmas carol

https://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Popular-Christmas-carol-Silent-Night-has-ties-to-Tallahassee--503355971.html
    https://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/Hymns_and_Carols/Biographies/john_freeman_young.htm

TL;DR The song was written by Franz Xaver Gruber in 1818, but translated into English by an Episcopal priest named John Freeman Young in 1859. Although he was at Trinity Church in New York City when he translated the song, Rev. Young was ordained in St. John's Episcopal Church in Tallahassee in 1846, and later served as the second Bishop of the Diocese of Florida from 1867 to 1885.
  • edited 2019-01-10 05:00:35
    > “I have dreamed of organizing concerts for the deaf and dumb, that
    you might learn from them how to behave yourselves at concerts,
    especially when they are very beautiful. You should be turned to stone
    pagodas.”

composer Robert Schumann, shitposting about audiences clapping when he didn't want them to

source: https://www.wqxr.org/story/why-dont-we-clap-between-movements-classical-concerts/
    who was it that said that "applause is when we show approval of beautiful music by following it with a horrendous noise"? or something like that

well, that's something I always agreed with.
  • edited 2019-01-14 02:07:27
    hoooooooooooly crap those overtones

(note: you must wait about one minute into the piece)

• how to hold it until just before the end of the piece and then barf all over it

(warning: contains poor musicianship.  by order of composer.)

boing boing
  • edited 2019-01-14 05:34:42
    Large Fishbot  2 years ago
    I wish I felt this way after seeing a good baseball game.

• edited 2019-01-14 05:35:26
    Marquis De Sade 1 year ago
    I performed this piece and a few other Ives works several times in various piano competitions and recitals. Piano competitions and Ives are not a good mix. The judges often have little clue how the piece is supposed to sound, so they invariably leave vague critiques and assume you won't figure out that they have no clue what they are saying.
  • I am such a sucker for bright happy B major stuff.

• looks like someone with a video-making megaphone took that popular claim that there's an alleged scientific study that "proves" that music is "getting worse" and took it apart.

About time we had a convenient thing to link people who make this claim.

• Comment: "Only 20s kids will understand this."
  • Mai Kuraki - 硝子の微笑
  • that weird feeling when you're looking for anime soundtracks but instead you find curiously obscure classical music

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/HERB-23
  • edited 2019-06-29 02:59:28
    WHO IS MORE LIKE A BIRD?

(A) Chiyo's Dad, who wishes he were a bird
    or
    (B) Olivier Messiaen

OH MY GAH
  • partial list of songs i like

Rita Ora - Your Song
    Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
    Ke$ha - Tik Tok
  • edited 2019-08-11 23:05:42
    poker face is meh
    it's okay

that very bright and open F G Am sequence in Bad Romance makes it

and how it can be varied between the more "optimistic" F G Am C and the more "resigned" F G E Am
    that is beautiful
  • edited 2019-08-11 23:10:10
    ITR: GMH has tastes on pop music that are based on criteria different from those used by other people

specifically that i basically don't care about the lyrics

edit: lol I wrote "In This Thread" as "In This thRead" (ITR)
  • i mean that's basically how i listen to j-pop/anisong too lol
  • ijbm: it's hard to find who actually wrote the music for a pop song, so it's hard to figure out who to credit as the composer
  • actually anime songs will list it

but i can't figure out who actually wrote the music (or the core musical ideas at least, to differentiate between composer and arranger) for Your Song and Bad Romance