1161718192022»

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    The Phantom Tollbooth
    Narnia
    Watership Down
    The Official Super Mario Bros. 3 Strategy Guide
  • Cool.

My favorites growing up were Holes, The Outsiders, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and a few others.

• edited 2019-04-06 17:26:25
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Matilda by Roald Dahl, for sure. Still one of my favorite books as an adult, honestly.

The Wayside School books by Louis Sachar. Major influence on my sense of humor.

Probably others but those were the ones I'd cite as major influences.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I loved most of what's been said before. I also liked the work of Bruce Coville

As far as picture books go, I liked the work of Graeme Base, Dr. Seuss, Ul De Rico, and Where The Wild Things Are
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Just finished Walking to Aldebaran by Adrian Tchaikovsky

I was not ready for the last 25% of that book

What the actual fuck I thought this was a quirky novella about pyramid shaped aliens and some funky little metal egg dudes
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

So, what were your favorite children's books growing up?

Peter Sís' Tibet Through the Red Box immediately springs to mind but honestly a lot of things.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    The Stinky Cheese Man & Other Fairly Stupid Tales and the Narnia books are the first thing that comes to mind.
    The Stone in the Skull by Elizabeth Bear has a transgender queen/priestess who is a fucking awesome mother to a young toddler in addition to being a clever ruler

It is amazing
    sounds cool

Heyo! If anyone is interested in joining a small, close-knit Discord server about science fiction and fantasy novels, pester me. It's currently about ten people and we all chatter quite a lot; it's very active for the small user group.

Just gonna mention this again. It's a bit larger now, more like 40ish, but a good group of folks.
    Also by the way holy shit This is How You Lose the Time War is an amazing book about time traveling secret agent lesbians on opposites sides of the titular time war writing gorgeously poetic letters to each other and falling in love

In case that's anyone's thing
    a time war?
    A war to control every thread of time and every possible future. It's vague but you just roll with it in the book.
    deep
  • anyone Readin

i read iraq + 100 recently which is a collection of science fiction short stories by iraqi writers imagining iraq 100 years after the us invasion and pretty cool
  • edited 2021-01-30 06:59:55

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/double_house

I liked this a lot, "trans yuri" from 1998!
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    No points for guessing what I misread that title as
  • i have been on holiday for a week and i read naked lunch again and zone by mathieu enard. i didn’t intend to read those two together, zone and interzone, lol

now im reading the three body problem
    naked lunch, great book