Anime

196979899100102»

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    @glennmagusharvey they are contour lines

they are sort of reverse rivers - high pressure water moving uphill, with the exception of the easternmost one which flows straight downhill

i don't think the reasons for this phenomenon were ever explained, but then, peculiar currents are one of the Grand Line's defining attributes
  • Tachyon said:

@glennmagusharvey they are contour lines

oh
    then what happened to west reverse mountain?
  • edited 2018-06-07 00:34:39
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    it could just be a mistake on the map

it's not clear, in part because that area hasn't been explored or visited at all in the series, since it lies at the opposite end of the Grand Line
    thinking about it, that may actually be canonically unexplored territory, though you'd think they'd be able to see there's a slope there, and if not, at least you could infer it
  • those map squares have not been filled yet
    i'm a little way into the third season of Gintama and

i kind of love it?

i wasn't expecting to, because it is at its core a manzai routine and i haven't generally been a fan of that style of humour, since i feel like the tsukkomi ruins the jokes by spelling out what would have made them funny.  In that regard my first impressions have been vindicated: Shinpachi, the tsukkomi character, is easily the least interesting member of the main cast, though to its credit the series is well aware of this.

What i wasn't prepared for was how dark the humour gets.  In some ways it's a lot like watching Rick and Morty.  It's nowhere near as nihilistic as that series, it has a decided optimism which i don't see on that show, but that can make it all the more brutal, because it knows how to tug at the heartstrings and make you invested in the characters' happiness, and then, with precise comedic timing, we get the punchline, which is despair.  i don't think i've had my emotions yanked about so blithely by a piece of entertainment media since i finished Undertale, and it's honestly great.

Then there's the sheer absurdity of the situations, the way it mashes things together in surprising ways.  At its best, it's absolutely off the wall.  There's the time a major landmark is engulfed by a monstrous alien (picture Tetsuo's transformation as imagined by H.R. Giger); the Shinsengumi stand outside with megaphones and announce that they have the building surrounded, that the alien must surrender, and that its mother didn't raise it to be a bad alien like this.  Or there's the time Gintoki is defending a friend in court, and the prosecutor produces a previous episode of the show as evidence.  Or the time the main characters get hold of a device that can translate the language of dogs: Kagura asks her pet Sadaharu what he thinks of her, and gets the response, "You ranked seventh in JUMP's character poll."

i'm not saying it's the best show or without problems but it's been a lot of fun so far, and it hasn't yet lost the ability to punch me right in the gut unexpectedly, or to make me laugh out loud when i was on the verge of tears moments before.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I'm sad Gintama is precisely a billion episodes long, because it's honestly seemed pretty my thing for some time now.
    i caught up with One Piece, i'm not letting this show defeat me
    one time they devoted an entire episode to a parody of Death Note and it was amazing because they didn't go for the obvious jokes, there was no death note, but it was an absolutely perfect parody of the style of that show
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I need to check out Gintama when I feel like I have the time to bathe myself in it. And, y'know, have power.

Also Aggretsuko, because finally Japan is truly pandering to me with furries and death metal karaoke.
    when you do watch Gintama, skip the first two episodes, they're pure filler and really not a good introduction

i don't normally believe in the 3 episode rule but it's in full effect in this instance
    So I have heard, actually. It seems like even one-episode droppers agree that Gintama requires a bit more patience at first due to the weird intro.
  • I'm watching three anime at the moment:

* Samurai Champloo

* Remi, Nobody's Girl

* Amagami SS

• edited 2019-03-20 22:41:17
    So, have you guys been checking out what shows they're showing this season?
  • I don't watch seasonals, sorry.

I did list Endro, Mysteria Friends, The Price of Smiles, and Grimms Notes in my want-to-watch though.

The Price of Smiles looks especially like something really up my alley.
  • edited 2019-03-19 01:36:53
    I finished watching episode 6 of Remy, Nobody's Girl several minutes ago. Man, this show continues to be fantastic. 
    Not the biggest Samurai Champloo fan, as to my mind it feels like half of a fifty-two episode series with the tail end of the plot that's supposed to get going after the first half's worth of hijinx crammed in at the very end in a very rushed, emotionally largely unsatisfying way (save for the *very* end and a few isolated key moments). That said, the individual episodes are a lot of fun and the animation is gorgeous, so you could do worse, although I think in Cowboy Bebop alumni terms, Nobumoto's Wolf's Rain (messy and dour but OH MY FEELINGS) and Watanabe's own later gem Space Dandy far surpass it.
    (This is me not-so-subtly telling you to watch those shows, by the way.)
  • edited 2019-04-06 16:13:36

I might check those out if I'm in the mood too. Personally, I think Samurai Champloo is a pretty good show. It's not perfect but it's been a good rewatch so far.

Anyways, I need to get back into Remy, Nobody's Girl. The last episode I watched had a good Cliffhanger.

• done with Asterisk War's second season.

this was surprisingly engaging.  the second season had a lot less awkward harem antics and a lot more intrigue and political dealings and some darker themes going on, developing greatly on various hints dropped early in the first season.  things were a lot more exciting and interesting overall.  some plot events/details suggest much larger things yet to come, though unfortunately we won't get to see them in the absence of a third season (or buying the VNs beyond volume six, or so I've heard).  someone on MAL commented that apparently this show is rather faithful to the source material (not that I could tell).

overall it seems that the first season is setup, and the second season is still setup but the action starts happening.  the first season is weighed down by a bunch of irritating romance/fanservice scenes, while the second season isn't and has a lot more exciting intrigue.  6/10 and 7/10 respectively.  (I increased the first season from a 5 to a 6 because my opinion of it improved after i watched the dub and got more out of it than when i watched the sub.)