• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    100% Cow Girl Content
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    If free TV stops being a thing, something will have gone horribly wrong
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    High-quality documentaries with fewer commercial interruptions than are currently normal.

A resurgence of traditionally animated cartoons (the sort of thing which is dependent upon the frame-perfect pacing and comedic timing which no streaming service can provide without buffering, with the variety in color and animation that one does not get in most modern cartoons).  

Actually-funny sitcoms, or perhaps a 30-year blackout on sitcoms until I Love Lucy can have reruns without all the jokes and situations being familiar to the audience.

Less quantity, and more quality, to match the law of supply and demand.  Offer fewer alternatives, and more distinction (think the market of late-90s videogames vs. the infinite variations of Threes, Flappy Bird, Angry Birds, etc. that clutter up the mobile-phone-game industry).

Raise wages so you can lure the talented away from netflix, and then lower them once you've run netflix out of business.  (Or, if you're going to be less sleazy, give competitive wages to the people who are essential but underappreciated.  If you're going to go out of business, at least you'll be remembered fondly).

Above all, a willingness to take genuine risks, and try new things (you might have an E.T. the videogame, but you might have a Final Fantasy; you might have a Twilight, but you might have a Harry Potter).
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    It would be nice if cable networks didn't invariably abandon their initial niches in favor of bland genericness
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Price is probably the biggest factor. Additionally, an online interface would be desired.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    They would pretty much need to netflix-ify in order to satisfy folks who enjoy binge watching shows. A much larger on demand catalog would be needed. Better UI would also help.
  • Like honestly I can't think of a single way in which netflix is not vastly superior to television. There are lots of problems with netflix but all of them are problems that TV has anyway.
  • edited 2019-02-09 05:50:12

Like honestly I can't think of a single way in which netflix is not vastly superior to television. There are lots of problems with netflix but all of them are problems that TV has anyway.

Netflix has a subscription fee, while TV (in the US at least) does not.

Also Netflix doesn't have local news.  (Does it?)
  • Like honestly I can't think of a single way in which netflix is not vastly superior to television. There are lots of problems with netflix but all of them are problems that TV has anyway.

Netflix has a subscription fee, while TV (in the US at least) does not.

Also Netflix doesn't have local news.  (Does it?)
    Local news is a reasonable point.

Subscription fee...sure, also true if you're talking about basic broadcast TV, but being the poor man's alternative is probably not what Anonus is looking for. And Netflix competes more directly with cable anyway.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Broadcast TV has a rock-solid infrastructure

It is a medium and industry I am passionate about

But I feel like the big broadcast chains kinda squander their resource, are not super-keen on the public interest anymore, and the networks most of them rely on for national programming are in the midst of an identity crisis. Even the seeming top dog NBC is - or maybe they have simply embraced being all things for all people. But CBS hasn't had an identity crisis in probably two decades. ABC and Fox sure have them now.
  • Here lies TV. Murdered by Netflix.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    netflix killed the tv star
  • It's got a knife in its back and a gun to its head.