Roadgeek Thread 2018 (It's Mostly Central Ohio)

Comments

• vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    vtk said:

I prefer signs with the rounded corners trimmed, but they never do that in Ohio.

I don't care what color the traffic signal housing is, but they should all have a faceplate with a reflective border strip.

I prefer vertical traffic lights because people don't get confused about the correct light order for those, especially when arrow signals are used.

I am convinced that half the reason people in Texas are so incredibly bad at actually going when the light turns green is due to these factors. It's amazing how many people just... Sit there. Even I've done it! I never used to have that problem! The lights are just dull and often hard to see... I think they're even a bit smaller than ones we had on the west coast.
    Oh crap that was a super old post. I clicked the wrong page, I think >_> blaming it on mobile.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I wouldn't worry about it. Your contribution is appreciated.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Did I ever post my pictures of the Cannon Dr relocation that I took a few months ago ?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I don't think I've seen them.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I always wondered why SR-315's exit to North Broadway ended up being assigned 6A and 6B (and formerly 6C) when that runs contrary to ODOT's usual practice of not assigning exit letters if the split between what would be A and B happens once you've already left the mainline.
    A brief drive-through of the I-670 construction zone between I-71 and I-270. No commentary on this video because really it was just me driving home from OSU and I didn't even think to post the footage to YouTube until a couple days later.

This is still my favorite quirk of the I-71 North Freeway signage:

(the "censoring" is just because my camera started stamping the wrong time/date on things again)
    '90s ODOT went to a lot of effort to ensure that the exit direction sign would be visible from upstream of the underpass.

2018 ODOT just didn't care.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Attention to detail has definitely been a weak area for ODOT in recent years.
  • You need to work for ODOT.

You need to be put in charge of this stuff.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Think you can convince someone of that who's actually in a position to hire one of us?
    Using black-on-yellow "LEFT" for a left turn from a surface street seems a little odd. It's like someone doesn't quite understand the point of highlighting "LEFT" like that.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    that sort of highlighting usually means a lane splits off, right?
    It's also used to highlight left exits on freeways because drivers tend not to expect those.
    Yeah that makes sense, I can't remember the last time I saw one of those outside a HOV freeway
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    If you believe the Franklin County map, that section of 33 is a freeway tho
    I went to the online version to double-check and I was reminded of how irritating it is that they mark the ramps to/from I-670 as a freeway with a US 33 shield

This is arguably worse than when they had it as "US 33F"
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Oh but the part of 33 right by 315 isn't shown as a freeway anymore. And they fixed the linestyle of the Souder St extension, too… 
    After digging through the Wayback Machine, I found the version you're talking about. Those two things seems to have been fixed in the 2015 edition.
    Controversial opinion: black-on-orange guide signs in work zones can be OK, but should be used sparingly...preferably only to draw attention to something that's meaningfully changed in a way that drivers familiar with the old configuration need to be made aware of.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I noticed a couple of new errors on the Franklin County map. I also noticed a couple of things-to-delete I missed before I lost the SVG version of my special edition of the map.

For those not familiar with this area: This is the same interchange as depicted (more accurately) on OpenStreetMap:

This is from the 1978 MUTCD:

The point I'm trying to make is...that "shall" has been there for at least 40 years.

So why is it still so common to see confirming/reassurance assemblies that consist solely of a route marker with no accompanying cardinal direction?? This isn't difficult, people.
    Centie, I just discovered this group of intersections/streets exists here in Queens. I thought you'd appreciate how utterly terrible it is. 

Oh my god. I count no fewer than nine intersections that could be described as "the corner of 60th and 60th"
    I just don't understand why ANYONE would ever do this

Just

Why

Imagine being a delivery or an Uber driver trying to find an address there ;_;
    that's exceptionally cursed, erio.  why.
  • that's sesenta of urban life right there
    ...The addresses on SR 16 in Reynoldsburg and Pataskala are kind of a mess.

As you head east out of Columbus, the addresses are "E. Broad Street", then somewhere near Summit Road they flip over to "Broad Street SW", then as you head into the original village of Pataskala they become "W. Broad Street", which of course becomes "E. Broad Street" again when you cross over Main Street.

East of Pataskala it seems to become the more generic "Columbus Road", though I'm surprised it even has a name instead of just being "Route 16"
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Just because a road is a signed, numbered state route, doesn't mean it shouldn't have a name too. Of course, most rural counties / postmasters seem to disagree with me on this.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I have forked POV-Ray 3.7 to add the capability to render retroreflective surfaces such as road signs.
    Sometimes Wikipedia's infobox conventions really get on my nerves.

When I started this article so many years ago, I had this as "West end: Civic Center Drive in Columbus". Someone changed it to "West end: US 40 in Columbus" and they've kept it that way ever since.

The thing is, saying that SR 16 ends "at" US 40 doesn't make any sense.  It ends concurrent with US 40, sure, but it runs concurrent with US 40 for almost 4 miles, so that doesn't really tell you anything.

It's just a matter of Wikipedians not liking that not every highway ends at a junction with another numbered highway. "Loose ends" likes SR 16's exist and, in my opinion, should be noted as such.
    (That said, there's really no reason why SR 16 shouldn't end at US 40 in Bexley, to be honest.)
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    ODOT likes to have every state route into a city go far enough to intersect every other state route that goes into that city. Thus OH 16 ends at Civic Center Dr, which used to be US 33 SEB. They just never truncated it when 33 was rerouted to 3rd & 4th Sts. If they did, it would probably end at 3rd St, but at least then the infobox could say it ends at US 23 / US 33 / OH 3.
    That would also work.

...The fact that people like you and me care about this way more than ODOT ever reasonably would says a lot, doesn't it?
    These are neat

• vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I notice it seems reasonable in both of those patterns that the duration of A2 can go to zero, and if the transitions in the two rings happen in the opposite order, then you get a completely different phase A2.
    For a project in that course I had to analyze the signal at 12th and College, and I ended up with this...

...with the observation that the controller does indeed skip phase A1 when the queue on southbound College is short or skip A2 when there's no queue on northbound College at the end of A1.
  • edited 2019-05-01 11:21:55
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Wikipedia claims US 24 “transitions from north–south to east–west signage in Toledo, Ohio” but a cursory glance at Google Street Views suggests the transition actually occurs at the Ohio–Michigan state line, with the first reassurance assembly in Michigan being marked NORTH and the first reassurance assembly in Ohio being marked WEST.

I would fix Wikipedia, but It's 7:30 in the morning and I just got back from a 15-hour outing, so nah.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I'm pretty sure, for most people, there's no meaningful difference between "in Toledo" and "at the state line" in the context of US 24.
    Online mapping services seem somewhat confused over what route US 50 takes in Chillicothe.

Google Maps:

Apple Maps:

OpenStreetMap:

There's probably a way to confirm which one is correct without actually having to drive down to Chillicothe, but let's be honest: driving down there sounds like the most fun way to figure it out. You up for a road trip, @vtk?
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Sounds good to me. I suppose you'd like to go in the daytime? In that case it'll have to be on a Sunday or Monday, and not the second Sunday of the month.
    What route would we even take?
    I've been following US 6 across Colorado on Google Street View and I'm getting excessively frustrated with CDOT's refusal to sign their US Routes where they're concurrent with Interstates.

I can understand if you don't want to include US 6 on every sign through the I-70/US 6 concurrency.

But I do expect you to at least mark the beginning and end of the concurrency.

As it stands, you'll be following US 6, and you come to a junction with I-70, and the only signage is, like...

⬅ WEST [I-70] EAST ➡

...with US 6 having basically just disappeared. All I'm asking is that CDOT adds one extra sign at each such junction so that it'd be like...

⬅ WEST [I-70] EAST ➡
    ⬅ WEST [US 6]

That way you'd know that US 6 is going to run concurrently with I-70, and even if the concurrency is otherwise unsigned, you could just follow I-70 until you see an exit signed for US 6.

Is that too much to ask??
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Hey it's not 2018 anymore
    That shows you about how much attention I pay to HH these days.