80s kids at the Detective Pikachu trailer

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Wait until your turn.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    80s kids lost their right to be pandered too when they fucked up their reaction to a new ghostbusters

Wait until your turn.

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    My generation's turn is already on its way

Word is that Universal is finally starting to get moving on making like it's 2004 and restarting the Shrek machine
  • I actually liked the trailer.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-11-13 19:38:15
    It looks like it'll either be awesome or awful, with little ground in between.  As an 80s kid I'm totally seeing it, and no matter what happens Pikapool is probably going to be worth it by itself.

Also omg he's so FLUFFY I want all the hugs!  I love the semi-realistic look they're going for, not just for Pikachu but all of them.  Creepy Mime is Best Mime.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    This is such a gutsy move that I'll pretty much have to check it out, just to witness the sheer audacity of it.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-11-15 21:15:50
    Frankly I'm shocked/amused the Pokemon Company has let them get away with writing even this salty.  The original Detective Pikachu went way out of its way to be as milquetoast as possible for a game that employed a budget Danny DeVito.

Then again, they signed off on the Mystery Dungeons, and one of them involves being murdered by your adoptive father and getting sent to literal Hell.  So...
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Hot take: Being realistic doesn't actually make Mr. Mime any creepier than it already was.
    Also I'm slightly concerned about what people who didn't know Pikachu has fur thought it was like. Like, a rubbery yellow flesh monster?
  • This is such a gutsy move that I'll pretty much have to check it out, just to witness the sheer audacity of it.

• Also I'm slightly concerned about what people who didn't know Pikachu has fur thought it was like. Like, a rubbery yellow flesh monster?

Like, we knew.  But we didn't know.

The world was not ready for the flooflord.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I completely missed the original Pokémon hype train, and have zero nostalgia for the series. But now I'm really interested Detective Pikachu, far more than I'd ever be in an adaptation of the main series games or the anime.
    I think a Roger Rabbit-style Pokemon movie would bring things hilariously full-circle
    also i want y'all to consider, just for a moment, a jigglypuff without fur
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    babe how about no
  • edited 2018-11-15 01:15:21

Also I'm slightly concerned about what people who didn't know Pikachu has fur thought it was like. Like, a rubbery yellow flesh monster?

I mean it obviously has fur, it's a mammal, but like if I were imagining a "real life" pikachu its hair would be a lot shorter and less fluffy. More along the lines of, say, a mouse.

I don't really have a problem with floofy pikachu but it was definitely a little jarring at first. (I briefly thought he was meant to be a stuffed animal when I was watching the trailer.)
    I wonder if Miltank is in this
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-11-15 21:11:18

also i want y'all to consider, just for a moment, a jigglypuff without fur

That one actually did catch me off guard.  I seriously thought Jigglypuff really was a rubbery balloonimal fleshmonster.  My world has been devastated.
    I thought Jigglypuff was a more feminine Kirby kinda
    In terms of physique
  • IJBM: the assumption that jigglypuff is female
  • Sonic does what Pokéwon't
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Wasn't there already a sonic movie?
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Yes, there's the anime OVA Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie which is actually pretty good.

But it came out right before Sonic Adventure set a new status quo for the Sonic canon. So SEGA is pretending Sonic: The Movie never happened, and for some reason the fandom is letting them get away with it.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-12-23 00:31:23
    Aliroz said:

Wasn't there already a sonic movie?

Not one where Sonic was a horrifying half-human abomination.