When Freedom Planet was new...

Who was it popular with? I don't recall hearing about it at the time, whereas now its genesis in Sonic the Hedgehog probably pointed me in its direction.

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Certain gaming and furry circles.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Yeah it did well enough to warrant a sequel and I imagine the Sonic origins + Strife being a big poster on Sonic Retro ginned up interest...

But, like, it wasn't big like FNAF or Undertale
  • edited 2018-09-11 04:08:44
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I mean, no, but those were pop cultural phenomena, if small in relative scale. And both tapped deep emotional wells in their own ways, Five Nights at Freddy’s with genuine visceral terror (mixed with confused but intense horniness) and Undertale with the kind of feelings that make you bawl your eyes out until you can’t produce tears anymore (mixed with far less confused horniness).
  • edited 2018-09-11 04:24:25
    There's a lot of people who were fans of the old Sonic games, and Freedom Planet definitely appealed to them.

As well as people like me who had played them and thought they were okay but Freedom Planet actually did things better IMO.  Giving the Sonic-like character more moves including separate combat mechanics and a life bar was a great idea, and I know people also like how there are alt characters with totally different playstyles.

And of course the action girl protag is a semi-recent popular trend, and also there's the furry stuff.  And also the fact that it is presented somewhat like a classic kids cartoon, with fancy cool heroes and deviously dangerous villains.

It's quite a solid work of art in its own right.  It's definitely not just Sonic clone + furry art.
    Yeah I didn't think it was a Sonic clone, though the fact that it filled a "real Sonic 4" hole for some before Mania came out made me seek it out when I wanted more Mania

There are times when the characters having finite hits frustrates me - I like the ring system because it means that if you have rings, and can re-collect them when hit, you aren't SOL in, say, a boss fight, where in a lot of games you wouldn't really have healing opportunities.

Also, I've seen FNAF merch at Target...it's still going strong!
    Yeah there are times when the Sonic player in me will try to blaze through FP levels, although the sections that evoke Sonic the most are pretty short and usually end abruptly as the game gets you back to exercising vigilance in combat. It's more like how Arid Sands Day Act 1 in Sonic Unleashed transitions into a 2D segment by literally having Sonic smack into a wall, than it is how in, like, Sonic 2, you will flow from a setpiece into a platforming segment.
  • edited 2018-09-11 05:27:52
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Or, hell, how you will see the same in Sonic 3's Hydrocity Zone (imo its best zone).
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I always pronounced Hydrocity to rhyme with Atrocity.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    The Hydrocity Exhibition
    Aliroz said:

I always pronounced Hydrocity to rhyme with Atrocity.

same