What if Disney sold off Disney Channels Worldwide?

Just dumped them all. Every Disney Channel, every Disney XD, every Disney Junior...
Tagged:

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I never know what kind of responses you're looking for in a thread like this. Do you want serious speculation about the media industry? Do you want wonderposts? 'Cause you'll probably get wonderposts.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    there will be wonderposts
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

I never know what kind of responses you're looking for in a thread like this. Do you want serious speculation about the media industry? Do you want wonderposts? 'Cause you'll probably get wonderposts.

both
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    mass chaos.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    See, the problem with the former is that you are pretty much the only regular poster here who has enough context to provide a serious answer. Maybe Lee? But that's about it.
  • then disney will be like liz claiborne, which does not own the liz claiborne brand
    walt disney already doesn't own the walt disney brand
    Do they even use the name "Walt Disney" anymore? It seems like you only ever see "Disney" these days...

Do they even use the name "Walt Disney" anymore? It seems like you only ever see "Disney" these days...

"The Walt Disney Company" is still the corporate name, but names like "Walt Disney Pictures" have been more-or-less phased out

There is, however, this Twitter
  • not gonna happen, G
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    you talkin to me
  • Calica said:

wait what
    I thought the rights to the name "Walt Disney" were assigned to WED Enterprises, which ended up being bought by Walt Disney Productions in the 1980s

Calica said:

wait what
    Hard to assert ownership rights from beyond the grave, apparently unless you're Sumner Redstone?
    His daughter will dump everything onto Verizon or Comcast after he dies
    One of the oft-ignored wrinkles to re-combining CBS and Viacom is that the rights to Star Trek would be back under one roof again
  • Calica said:

Calica said:

wait what
    Hard to assert ownership rights from beyond the grave, apparently unless you're Sumner Redstone?
    [zero-dimensional geometric figure]
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    They would be sold to Walp Gisnep Corporation.
    you joke but it wouldn't surprise me if they sold it to some dummy corporation with a similar name (so as not to stoke the rage of Walt's frozen body underneath Disneyland)
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Serious answer: Unless the Disney Channels were tanking badly, there's really no reason to do that. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot. I don't know how the US Disney Channel is doing these days, but I imagine kidcoms are pretty bulletproof.
    yeah I was thinking, when I thought up Disney unloading most of its TV assets in 2010, that included ABC (rumored to be for sale), its ten owned-and-operated stations, ABC Family, ABC Studios, Disney-ABC Domestic Television, their stake in Hulu, their 80% of ESPN (I dunno, it didn't work without ABC, and ABC didn't work without it), and their 42.5% stake in A&E Television Networks

This more or less undid the Capital Cities/ABC merger 14 years earlier - and I saw an image on some blog that implied that even the Disney Channel was in the mix for a divestiture (which I did not intuit given that Hannah Montana and High School Musical were still making them a fucking fortune)