IJBM: The Wikipedia Philosophy game is broken

edited 2018-05-22 20:08:41 in General
The first link on "Quantity" used to be "Magnitude", not "Multitude". Almost every page that you could get to Philosophy from went through Quantity; now you're stuck on an endless loop of Quantity > Multitude > Counting (redirect) > Element (mathematics) > Mathematics > Quantity. Page is protected, too.

Comments

• vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Find another path and change the first link in one of the other pages in that loop
  • edited 2018-05-22 22:54:47
    I would, but they broke the path by switching the two words around. Seems like a fussy change to make unless it was broken on purpose.

Plus veteran Wikipedians are scary.
  • vtk said:

Find another path and change the first link in one of the other pages in that loop

Every one of those pages has had someone do that and get reverted in the last couple weeks, lmao.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    See, I told you that Wikipedia would betray you all, and none of you listened to me!
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I'm a veteran Wikipedian. Way out of practice, and way out of touch with the community, but I've probably had my account longer than half the "veterans" mentioned previously.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    what if we renamed it the quantity game?
  • edited 2018-05-23 17:04:24
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    wait is one of the rules of this game to exclude etymological and pronunciation information?  because i tried it and wound up in the loop:

International Phonetic Alphabet > Alphabet > Letter (alphabet) > Grapheme > Linguistics > Language > Communication > Meaning (semiotics) > Semiotics > Meaning-making > Psychology > Science > Latin > Help:IPA/Latin > International Phonetic Alphabet
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    oh nvm it has to be the first non-parenthesized, non-italicized link
  • It just occurred to me: they did so the Philosophy game would become the Mathmatics game

Imagine being that petty
  • edited 2018-07-03 16:14:22

It just occurred to me: they did so the Philosophy game would become the Mathmatics game

Imagine being that petty
    Because I will take any excuse to avoid being productive, I did some research. At the time the change was first made, magnitude didn't lead to philosophy, even though it does now. You can check in the history: using the versions of the pages that would've existed at the time you'd get magnitude, mathematics, then back to quantity. There's no justification on the edit but I bet that person was actually hoping to fix the loop.

The loop actually broke here when the link on "property" was removed. That person probably was trying to sabotage the philosophy game, since half their edits are removing "irrelevant" links on philosophy-related pages. Unfortunately for the philosophy game, consensus seems to be that the link really was irrelevant, the editor's motivations notwithstanding. (I think that link had been added and removed a number of times before that, but that was the one that "stuck".)

There does seem to be something slightly spiteful about the way people keep reverting the magnitude/multitude swap, but on the other hand I feel like it kind of misses the point of the philosophy thing if you have to edit wikipedia to make it true.
  • Thank you for putting in that effort.
  • Scroll lock
    Lock key
    Computer keyboard
    Computing
    Computer
    Arithmetic
    Mathematics
    Quantity

aww crap