Suchian Musings And Ramblings About General Designs Involving Notable Estuaries

Comments

• edited 2018-05-24 00:26:56
    Also I like how the "two men arguing" meme got repurposed into a happy conversation.

I appreciate positive, wholesome subversions of memes.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Can someone explain something to me?

When you have a rule to the effect of "no hats or head coverings are allowed, except those worn for religious reasons", how is that not considered discrimination?

Like, aren't you literally saying a different set of rules applies to some people based on their religious beliefs, or lack thereof?
    I tried to explain this, Central, several times, but our convictions are simply irreconcilable.

We've been friends for years, but even a stone wears down eventually...

I'm done.
  • edited 2018-06-03 00:26:08
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    If anyone wants to talk with me, I'm on Steam as Aliroz The Confused.

It's been great.

Bye.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Please don't go

I'll miss you
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    For what it's worth, while I'm still confused about the issue, I don't stand by what I said during that conversation.

I had apologized in private to the people involved, but I never apologized publicly, so I guess I'll do so now...I'm sorry.
  • kill living beings
    fuck
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    You should, er... really account for everyone, Centie.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    OK, so...after talking this out a bit, I've come to the realization that I only have an extremely simplistic understanding of religion and the role it plays in people's lives, and the further realization that I am extremely quick to make harsh judgments against others for things that I don't fully understand. And, well, that's bad.

So I'm going to refrain from discussing such topics for some time, while I try to educate myself on the matter and hopefully develop a better understanding of where other people are coming from and how they lead their lives the way they do.

I don't feel comfortable contacting Aliroz on Steam directly, because I'm sure he'd find that unwanted, but if someone is willing to pass this along to him, I'd appreciate that.
  • edited 2018-05-31 18:04:14
    I'll try.  I should have him added on my friends list.

Should I just pass on the first two paragraphs of this post above?
    Yes please
  • Done.  I'll let you know if he replies to me.
  • 22:59 - Aliroz The Confused: Okay, three things:  First, I still consider Central a friend, it means a lot to me that Centie's put forth such a genuine effort to mature and rebuild bridges.  When I said "if anyone wants to talk with me, I'm on steam", I should have made it more clear that "anyone" meant anyone.

23:05 - Aliroz The Confused: Second, it's not what happened yesterday, or any singular incident, as much as it is a consistent pattern over years, where Central has had difficulty with the perspectives of other types of people, and, well, I'm in a lot of those groups that Centie has difficulty understanding.  We both have very strong convictions, overwhelming feelings of things one KNOWS to be right in one's bones, things that override logic and empathy and end up in tribal loyalties and simple loves and hatreds and associations.  In the example of the French ban on religious headwear, my Conviction is irreconcilable with hers, and, up until just a few minutes ago, I was pretty convinced that nobody could overcome conviction, that on such matters there could never be an understanding.

23:12 - Aliroz The Confused: Third, although Central has decided to not bring up such things until she has a greater understanding, I'm not sure that I could do the same.  It's an issue very dear to my heart, one of my headsnakes, and it lies at the root of a lot of my anxieties (there's a reason why I listed France as being with Russia and North Korea as a nation that I found terrifying).   Given how much damage headsnakes do, a headsnakes vs headsnakes battle would be disastrous, and, well, I thought it would be better if I left to deal with things without risking the forum.  But I shall return.  RESURGAM.

23:13 - Aliroz The Confused: So, um, anyways, that's my response.  I think you should post it to the forum.
    (2015 self)
    Hey, Heapers.

Life is too short to abandon friends, but I have always kind of taken people for granted, and assumed that they would be there when I needed them, and I have let too many relationships fade through neglect (and by caring more about things and ideas than people).

In other words, I missed you guys.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Welcome back.
    Welcome back!!
    Hello!
    (2015 self)
    Also, Central, I bought SimCity 200 Special Edition, with the big box and everything, and it won't install but for some reason I can play the Urban Renewal Kit without installing, and school starts on Monday so if I'm going to make my hometown and then destroy the university, I better get going or else I'll have to go to school for real.
    (2015 self)
    Also, thanks for the welcome, Crystal and Central.  It means a lot to me.  :)

Hello Odra!  -fistbump-
    I love SimCity 2000 Special Edition! It was my very first city-building game back when I had a Windows 95 computer. I never owned the big box though! My copy came from a public library.

I kind of want to play it now. I have the GOG.com re-release, which will run on my modern PC via DOSbox...
  • Aliroz said:

In other words, I missed you guys.

Aww... I missed you too!  Welcome back.

I love SimCity 2000 Special Edition! It was my very first city-building game back when I had a Windows 95 computer. I never owned the big box though! My copy came from a public library.

I kind of want to play it now. I have the GOG.com re-release, which will run on my modern PC via DOSbox...
    I need to learn how to play this.
  • I'm so glad you are back even if I'm not around here super often anymore!!!!
  • Kinda belated because I was at work, but I'm really glad you're back Aliroz.
    Hey Aliroz how do you feel about Cactoid Jim
    (2015 self)
    I think I heard an episode of Sparks Nevada once and enjoyed it, on a car trip.

My brother and dad have recommended Thrilling Adventure Hour to me, but I've never remembered to get into it.
    (2015 self)
    So, I've been playing King of Dragon Pass, and my main problem with the game is with the ending. 

Spoiler:
    The Horse-Spawn have, in most of my games, been the biggest threat to my populace. I always pick the past where my people adopted the Nalda Bin as family instead of as slaves. How in the world is it going to work to combine such cultures?
  • edited 2018-09-05 01:48:00
    My dreams exceed my real life
    Apparently the new game by the same people, Six Ages, has you play as the ancestor of the Horse People(or Hyalorings as they call themselves)
    (2015 self)
    OOTS UPGATE
  • edited 2018-09-09 01:23:13
    (2015 self)
    You know how I said that Elon's Musk's Stupid Tacky Car In Space ruined space?

Well, I just learned about Kessler syndrome (if there are too many satellites in low-Earth orbit, they might crash into one another and cause an unpredictable chain reaction of stuff running into stuff until you can't reliably leave Earth anymore), and great.  Bezos and Musk and SpaceX and Blue Origin are going to ruin everything.

Only companies that are pure of heart, like ATK-Thiokol, can avoid catastrophe.

What?  You don't think that heart-purity matters in space?  Well, it does.  Also, marriage.  Only married people can get to the moon.  The Apollo 13 problem was caused by the fact that Jack Swigert wasn't married at the time.

See, the Earth wants to keep all her inhabitants safe and home.  The further you get from earth, the more fate pulls to bring you back, like a rubber band.  It's like how you can't come back to life after you die, the connection to the place you rightly belong to is just too strong.  But when you get married, you bind your soul to someone else, a part of you is always with him or her.  The Earth's soul-gravity gets confused, and you can visit the moon (still, the fates will conspire to bring you back).  The Holy Grail and the Ark of the Covenant are actually on the other side of the moon, because in the inside of the moon is the afterlife, from which you cannot return to the Earth.

Attempting to colonize Mars is like a tower of Babel.  It will fail, and there will be horrible consequences.
  • edited 2018-09-09 01:08:15
    (2015 self)
    IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE!

I miss the old Tv Tropes WMG logo. How am I going to make it clear that I have crazy ideas that I'm just proposing because I find them interesting or funny, and not actually theorizing about how things are in truth?  

Makes sense
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I thought they put the Ark of the Covenant in a big warehouse somewhere.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Oh hey glad to see you back around! :D 

(I legitimately got pretty excited seeing this thread with new replies!)
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    it's broccoli
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    AL!!! :D
    (2015 self)
    I woke up today, remembering.

It was a Tuesday then, on that day.
    :(
  • Aliroz said:

I woke up today, remembering.

It was a Tuesday then, on that day.
    indeed

and i do remember where i was when i heard about what was happening
  • edited 2018-09-21 02:18:42
    (2015 self)
    Am I the only one who thinks of the NASA CAPCOM before the video game company?

Maybe I'm too much of a space nerd...

I swear, I only saw the movie Apollo 13 twice.
  • edited 2018-09-21 02:52:34
    You're like me thinking of SNK the game company when people talk about SnK the anime series (a.k.a. Attack on Titan).

Incidentally, there's actually a third company that could hypothetically share that name "Capcom" -- http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/
    (2015 self)
    How come, "skjfdadsafksadflaksjdfa", "audrengthuvrem", and "tecordingmopolop" have no results in Google, even though those are former Nuclear Launch Codes?

-conspiracyliroz-
    (2015 self)
    You!

You sign your name like a doctor!  Look at this chicken-scratch nonsense.  It looks like a seismograph's output or something.  I swear, this is the Jackson Pollock of signatures, and and if you want me to donate money to you, you need to at least produce one recognizable letter!  Even Joan of Arc could produce an X, and she couldn't even read, so if you want to convince me that you're a real person, you need to give me something recognizable to work with.

-Handwritingliroz
  • Aliroz said:

Even Joan of Arc could produce an X, and she couldn't even read

fun fact: in Nethack, if you scribble letters on the ground, you break "illiterate" conduct, unless you write one x (or X) at a time.
    (2015 self)
    I am legitimately a bit bitter about handwriting.

I had to spend thousands of hours rewriting assignments over the last two semesters, for professors who demanded "typed, or equivalent" quality, and wouldn't even grade papers with notebook-edge-bits on them.  I'm more proud of these papers than I am of anything else I've ever accomplished, but if I make the wrong motion with my hand, it cramps up real bad.

It really cheeses me off when Doctors, politicians, and other people-of-higher-status-than-I pretend that stuff like this is an acceptable signature:

• I should draw a miniature gecko as my signature.
  • But yeah, one of my math teachers in high school has legit bad handwriting.  The standard should not be that it is pretty, but that it is legible.

Prettiness is nice, but is optional.
    (2015 self)
    Lackadaisy update!