Heating instructions that specify a power rating for the microwave oven

You've seen these before. "For 1000 W ovens or higher, heat 2 minutes. For lower-power microwaves, heat 2 minutes and 30 seconds."

So, like...do they expect people to just know the power rating of their microwaves off the top of their head? Or are you just expected to have a general sense of whether your particular microwave heats things quickly? The latter makes more sense, but then why bother specifying numbers?

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    You mean it's not written on the side of the microwave?
  • If it is on mine I've never noticed it.
  • Update: It isn't.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Yeah it should be written somewhere
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It tends to be on the label on the back of the microwave, where you usually don't see it unless you specifically look for it.
  • If a microwavable anything requires any effort on my part I immediately throw a fit.
    ours is written on the front
    the problem i usually have is the instructions always seem to specify a higher wattage than the one we actually have, so i end up having to guess anyway
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I've occasionally seen it written on the front, though that seems to be mostly reserved for higher wattages (1000 or above) because nobody wants to "advertise" the lower ones.
  • kill living beings
    my microwave is fixedly mounted and i can't look at the back

sob

(it's probably like a thousand watts tho)
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

my microwave is fixedly mounted and i can't look at the back

sob

(it's probably like a thousand watts tho)
    Oh same.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    ours has it on the front but it's 1200W so
  • edited 2018-05-31 17:01:36
    my microwave's power probably rounds to 1000 W when I round it to the thousands place :-DDDDD
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    i'm thinking "get 1 liter of water, take its temperature, heat it on full power for 1 minute and then see how much the temperature went up". apparently from there you can multiply by the specific heat of water, then the mass, and then divide by 60.

this is, of course, only if the microwave is too old to Google or too hard to turn around
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    my microwave is over 9000
  • my microwave is over 9000

units not specified
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    YOUR units are not specified
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    It's written on the door on ours.

That...actually makes a lot more sense.
  • YOUR units are not specified

I can't believe I never thought of this retort in high school.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

YOUR units are not specified

absolute unit(s)
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Same.